Carrying at the gym...how to do it?

Carrying at the gym...how to do it?

This is a discussion on Carrying at the gym...how to do it? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys and gals I am soon to be carrying and the gym is very much part of my daily routine and I would like ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carrying at the gym...how to do it?

Question Carrying at the gym...how to do it?

Hey guys and gals I am soon to be carrying and the gym is very much part of my daily routine and I would like to see how others do it. Here is my thoughts...I workout pretty hard free weights and machines and cardio usually running and elliptical usually when I am finished I am sweaty mess so I dont feel like I want/need a gun concealed on me at the gym. I have thought about a small gym bag that I move station to station with me. Others do this with a bigger bag usually I see workout stuff coming out of their bags although they may have a gun in there Now my wife says I want a man purse and I tell her its a gym bag LOL So does anyone have other suggestions or is it a bad idea to not have the gun on my body.

Oh and if it matters I will be carrying a Kahr CM9! Thanks....

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    I have a little pocket gun that I carry at the gym in the pocket of my cargo shorts. It's really light and small and doesn't interfere. I switch it out for my 9mm when I return to the car. I have an adequate safe well attached to the floor of the car in a nicely concealed place.

A belly band sort of holster can work. As can a decently light pocket gun/holster, assuming the right shorts/pants and workout routine that won't allow it to flop around. One option would be a sub-13oz revolver or mousegun, in a thin, lightweight "sticky" holster that won't flop around in the pocket, with suitable shorts/pants to hold it well, and sufficient color/pattern to camouflage "the bulge" from view.

Myself, I'd avoid the in-the-bag approach, as it's not on me and can easily get taken/forgotten.

If, as you say, you're not that worried while working out, then why not just leave it locked in the car or locker? Though, either of those spots can get broken into, and occasionally do. Stories of busted lockers at gyms abound. Up to you, but if you're concerned enough to carry then I'd figure out a gun/holster/clothing combination that'll work during your routine.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'd say no to the gym bag, easily get swiped even when you think your on gaurd. Theives are like magicians, they are fast. I know first hand... small gun in a manbag lol but it will work,,,, Good luck.
    pir8fan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mg27 View Post
    small gun in a manbag lol but it will work,,,, Good luck.
    Fanny pack, depending on the size of the "fanny." Words of wisdom.
    mg27 and ANGLICO like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yeah my thought was to leave it in a lock box locked in the truck and that is probably what I will do. I have thought about a small pocket gun but for me I dont like anything in my pockets while I workout especially running in shorts or sweats and if that means not carrying while at the gym then that ok. I was just wondering what ideas I may be missing besides my man purs......errrr I mean gym bag

Well, what do you do with your cellphone while working out?
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

I actually kept that in mind when I first searched for a gym to belong to. Luckily for me, I was able to find a gym with small personal lockers. Members bring their own lock and empty it out when they're done. I pocket carry my Sig P238 into the gym and lock it up before working out. Many people walk in and out since the showers are nearby so there's no fear of a break in.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States.
    There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
    - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Sig P238/Sig 1911 Ultra/Beretta PX4 Storm/Kimber Ultra Carry II

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    Well, what do you do with your cellphone while working out?
    Leave it in the truck.....the gym is my time I am out of touch for an hour a day

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    Leave it in the truck.....the gym is my time I am out of touch for an hour a day
    Exactly. While you exercise your body, give your mind a break.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Fanny pack, depending on the size of the "fanny." Words of wisdom.
    Yeah I like the Idea, I would get one, Hey things can happen anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lokin4deer View Post
    Well, I'd not be worried about an armed robbery at the gym anyway. Gang shootings might be the greatest risk, though there're so few gym incidents in the news that it's tough to predict what you'd need the gun for.
    The only acceptable long-term outcome is to find a cure. It's an actual solution, requiring forward-thinking efforts.

Until then, we're just arguing about who's pushing who.

I don't carry when I workout. There are plenty of weapons in the gym already. Besides then you have to clean your gun after sweating on it.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Not into the gym thing anymore but if I was here's what I think I'd do.

I would carry on my person even while working out, that's just a decision I made, I'll always carry. I think I would carry a ruger LCP or keltec p3at (or similar), those are both small and flat enough to still be concealed well in gym attire. I would . . .

A) carry in a remora holster on my waist, with my gym shorts/pants drawstring tied nice and tight.
    B) carry in a belly band holster, probably slightly shifted over to my strong side hand (just so when laying on a bench its not noticeable)

I think as long as you kept either of those covered no one would be the wiser, probably just think its a mp3 player or back brace or something like that. Thats my 0.02
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links