Buying firearms after a DUI

This is a discussion on Buying firearms after a DUI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let he without sin cast the first stone! Leave the guy alone! No person in this world is able to say they have never committed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Buying firearms after a DUI

Let he without sin cast the first stone!

Leave the guy alone! No person in this world is able to say they have never committed a crime, no matter how big or small. Seat belt, speeding, etc...

And if you feel that a person that has done something you view is wrong takes away their second amendment rights, and the rights to protect their family or themselves. Maybe you should give up your guns.

Iv had an ovi(dui) and I wasn't drunk, I woke up at about 530am graving a cig after a night of drinking and didn't have any, didnt think to brush my teeth before running to the gas station real quick, literal 1/4 mile away. On the way I saw 5 cruisers with lights on in my friends apartment complex. I pulled a u turn to go make sure she was ok, considering he neighbor is a violent criminal that is and out of jail. Cop saw it pulled me over and boom OVI. Leo smelled alcohol, I refused a breathalizer(lawyer friends advice at all times, they don't always read correct.)

That being said you have no idea the situations he was in so keep your judgment to yourself. And if you are interested in helping the guy help, if not press the back button and let it go!

Sorry I have no info on indy for you. I'm an Ohio boy. Good luck to you! Hope you get your guns back!!!
    Crowman and CVarner like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    "I know of a couple of folks that have had two dui's/ They both are fine outstanding folks now who are sober. People do change."

People can and DO change. The statement stands moot in light of black letter law and state requirements.

Look at it from the licensing officer's POV and consider a scenario:

Guy gets gun despite a checkered albeit questionable past.
    Guy kills someone.
    Everyone begins asking (WHY) guy was even issued a permit.
    Fuel is now added to the anti 2nd amendment people.

I posted how I appealed and won my denial. CCP Denied? Don't Give Up
    My situation was quite different from OP's.

I think the OP if he is fair needs to ask himself a question.."Would you give a LTC to you?" Be honest.

People may change, but I'm sorry, I have to agree with many here, 2 DUI's in five years shows a pattern of bad decision making. I can't say I've ever seen anyone change this much in 5 years...at least not so much that I would issue a permit to carry.

Just a guess, but I doubt Indiana will find in your favor for quite some time.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

IMO I would walk a strait Line for Five Years,,, Then inquire about reinstating my permitt, Like I said JMO. PS Good Luck & Please Don't drink & Drive for your & other peaples families .

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Way back when I took Logic 101 to get out of real math classes, that would have been a really good example of bad logic.
    Point is folks change. I know two who have and trust them with firearms and driving more than half the idiots that try to run me over in the morning talking on their cell phones.

No excuse for drinking and driving. Make sure they do their time and pay the fines. Folks do change. I know folks that have run red lights and the only reason there was not an accident was fate. I see no difference in a driver texting and killing someone and someone drinking. They deserve the same punishment.
    9MMare and highvoltage like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer2213 View Post

And if you feel that a person that has done something you view is wrong takes away their second amendment rights, and the rights to protect their family or themselves. Maybe you should give up your guns.
    Very poor philosophy when talking about a LTC.

First; it is not "our view." that the OP did something wrong.
    We are talking about someone who's crime has been adjudicated. In the OP's case, there are convictions.

Do your ideas carry over to felons who won their probation?
    Maybe the sex offender who's Dr. claims is cured?
    How about those convicted of domestic violence?

Exactly where do you draw the line on who or what is bad enough to deny a permit?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

I have no use for drunk drivers either, however not knowing the severity or circumstances I'm not going to jump all over the OP. for all we know he blew a .081 during a DUI enforcement saturation . that said, OP, if it is a felony DUI....sorry, in that case you are likely (and should be for a long time) screwed.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

For all the bleeding hearts here, consider this; getting behind the wheel of a car drunk is in many ways like reckless homicide. Complete disregard for the lives of your family, your wife, little boy or girl, maybe sister or brother.

If you were staring at your child laying in a casket because of a drunk driver, would you think they should be privaledged to now carry a gun?
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    For all the bleeding hearts here, consider this; getting behind the wheel of a car drunk is in many ways like reckless homicide. Complete disregard for the lives of your family, your wife, little boy or girl, maybe sister or brother.

If you were staring at your child laying in a casket because of a drunk driver, would you think they should be privaledged to now carry a gun?
    I would feel the same way if they ran a red light because they were texting on a phone......same sense of irresponisbility and should have the exact same punishment.

Anyway, this thread is getting way off of the OP.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I think the best advice I've read is to contact an attorney in your state that specializes in this area.

My best friend is a deputy in the DUI enforcement unit. I've done some ride alongs with her...I haven't seen near what she has - but enough...it's simply not worth it. To the OP I hope your past is your past.

I quit drinking when I got my CHL. It means enough to me to know I can carry whenever I want & not have to worry about being impaired if something happens. Sometimes we have to make tough choices when it comes to personal responsibility.
    The op needs to decide if he wants to party or grow up & be a responsible person.
    Often people just want to carry a gun and don't want to shoulder the massive task they have signed up for.
    I know people who have had chance after chance and continue down the self destructive path they have chosen to follow.
    Good luck with your future. Take some time to look at what you have done & where you want to go from here out.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

OP:
    How many years have you been going to AA meetings? Do you continue to do so? Have you been abstinent from alcohol?
    If yes to all, finish the 5 years and reapply. If no to any, you should not have a second deadly weapon.
    Last edited by cardio1; November 25th, 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    ep1953 likes this.

Wow. Lots of opinions being thrown around.

Surely it is written in the state law. I would look it up myself if I were in the OP's position. If that doesn't work, I'd call the Attorney General's office and ask before spending hard earned money on a lawyer.

Thankfully it is up to judges and laws to decide how long a punishment lasts. Emotional decisions about people's rights based on personal experience are a recipe for disaster. I personally believe that once a sentence has been served, it should be a non-issue.

Austin
    mrm likes this.

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged!
    and
    Let Him Who is Without Sin Cast the First Stone!
    Crowman, CVarner and hammer2213 like this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Agreed.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

JIMMYC !! welcome to the forum...dont eat yellow snow...keep your guns and your liberty, please

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links