Buying firearms after a DUI

This is a discussion on Buying firearms after a DUI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by CVarner I don't agree with the man's choices but who are we to judge. Cut the man some slack I am sure ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Buying firearms after a DUI

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CVarner View Post
    I don't agree with the man's choices but who are we to judge. Cut the man some slack I am sure he has paid for his mistakes and has learned a lesson. He came here to ask a question, not have everyone judge him for his mistakes.
    I wonder if the families that has lost loved ones because some jerk wanted to drive after a few beers would "cut this man some slack".
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

I'd strongly consider shelving the weaponry until the issue of drinking/dependency is well behind you, irrespective of cutoff dates related to your CHL. Ditto on the sentiments some others have presented, that a CHL is the last thing you ought to be worrying about if it's ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by hammer2213 View Post
    Let he without sin cast the first stone!
    Catchy phrase. But it's not about being first, or casting "stones" at others, or being a sinner. It's about calling a spade a spade, seeing facts for what they are, and making reasonable suggestions based on that. Recommendations to correct the judgment-altering condition before going down the path of acquiring a judgment-requiring responsibility seems a reasonable thing to suggest.

Whatever else is true, part of the responsibility of carrying defensive weaponry is to at all times realize that our actions come down to reasonableness, and the judgement of others about that reasonableness. Frankly, being unduly influenced by a judgment-altering substance and having a track-record of being caught doing so doesn't bode well for how folks are going to take another such situation, if it turns out a "defensive" situation arises and it's claimed that drinking was part of the reason. Given such a track record, and given not having clearly put it in the past, mere claims might gain far more traction than they otherwise might.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

RT
    I would be willing to bet that your permit will not be automatically reinstated. Your license to carry was most likely revoked upon your second DUI conviction, as you were deemed to be an "alcohol abuser" under IC 35-47-1-2 and thus ceased to be considered a "proper person" for holding a permit. It looks like you can apply for another permit when your 3 years is up, but I'm guessing you will run into several difficulties in getting your application approved. When I got my LTCH a while back, I recall seeing something about a legal requirement to notify the ISP superintendent, in writing, of any arrests and/or convictions that may change your status as a "proper person". IIRC, the timeframe for notification is within 30 days after the incident. The failure to notify in that instance could possibly be used as reasoning for denying a future application. Also, even though the conviction is to be converted to a misdemeanor after 3 years, it was considered a felonly conviction originally and could continue to haunt you and make it so your application is denied. A family member went through something similar about 10 years ago, and he still is not allowed to own a firearm as far as I am aware. I am not a lawyer though, and I could be wrong. Your best bet would be to contact the ISP Firearms Licensing Division and see what they say after running your situation by them.

At the end of this case, I got a "referred sentence"
    I wouldn't even try to guess the answer to your legal question but I'm pretty sure what you got was a "Deferred" sentence.
    mrm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First DUI?
    OK, everyone makes mistakes, and most of us COULD have probably qualified for such an offense, but were not stopped.

Second DUI? In 5 years?
    You don't belong behind a gun or the wheel...IMHO

Sorry!
    Amen. Harsh comments--sure, but irresponsible behavior ala DUIs and not one but two? Gotta agree with the quote. I have no sympathy for you whatsoever. You should have been in jail for the second DUI in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Amen. Harsh comments--sure, but irresponsible behavior ala DUIs and not one but two? Gotta agree with the quote. I have no sympathy for you whatsoever. You should have been in jail for the second DUI in the first place.
    I remember a time in my neck of the woods when pick-up trucks with rear window rifle racks and Coors Beer just went together. A whole bunch of us then wouldn't have passed muster with today's laws. Things are different now. A DUI in most places now can turn your world upside down. Two of them in a 5 year period at best makes you a slow learner.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    After the scathing rebuke I bet that is the OP's first and last post...
    mrm likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Very poor philosophy when talking about a LTC.

First; it is not "our view." that the OP did something wrong.
    We are talking about someone who's crime has been adjudicated. In the OP's case, there are convictions.

Do your ideas carry over to felons who won their probation?
    Maybe the sex offender who's Dr. claims is cured?
    How about those convicted of domestic violence?

Exactly where do you draw the line on who or what is bad enough to deny a permit?
    No I do not believe that a violent criminal or sex offender should have the right to guns. However those are a different level of crime. I'm sure you will say it still endangers people and it does, however so does speeding or not using a turn signal, or wearing a seat belt...no seat belt puts your own life in danger, does that make u suicidal??? I mean if someone is suicidal than they shouldn't have access ribs firearm right? I'm just saying he didn't post about this to be judged, he had a simple question.

We have offered up many sound pieces of advice and I thereby assume the question is answered and thus close this thread.

If OP would like, OP can PM me for further direction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links