Buying firearms after a DUI

This is a discussion on Buying firearms after a DUI within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got my second dui in a 5 year period almost 3 years ago. At the time I had a lifetime indiana hand gun carrying ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Buying firearms after a DUI

Buying firearms after a DUI

I got my second dui in a 5 year period almost 3 years ago. At the time I had a lifetime indiana hand gun carrying permit.
    At the end of this case, I got a "referred sentence" that will be a misdemeaner after a 3 year period of time. I was also told that I was not to have any firearms. I have complied fully.
    I never recieved anything in the mail to turn in my lifetime permit.
    At the anniversary date will my permit become back in force automatically ?
    I have my eye on a new muzzle loader that I would like to purchase down the road, once the air is cleared. Is this going to be a major hassle after the anniversay date ?

2. Remove Ads

Well, I dont want to sound too harsh here, but if you are irresponsible enough to disregard the lives of other people by drinking and driving not once,but twice, I dont think you should own a firearm until you have cleared your track record, or established a new one. Your history makkes you somewhat questionable.

Of course, I know people can change, and I dont think that this history should permanently keep you from owning a firearm. My advice is to check your state laws on the matter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Ex Member
    I am in Indy and YES, our laws can sometimes be a 'bit' confusing. You can get 50 opinions on here and opinions are like...........well you know. In Indiana most lawyers charge $150-$175 per hour. Find a BIG firm and pay the Piper to find out.
    Second DWI? They should have BANNED you from driving.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    To answer your question, you will probably have to talk to someone at the courthouse/legal office.

oh, BTW, Greetings and welcome from Florida.

1. Welcome aboard.
    2. Don't know the answer to your question.
    3. Don't drink and drive.
    4. Don't eat yellow snow.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

If you haven't already, PLEASE get help for your alcohol problem. Good luck in the future.

First DUI?
    OK, everyone makes mistakes, and most of us COULD have probably qualified for such an offense, but were not stopped.

Second DUI? In 5 years?
    You don't belong behind a gun or the wheel...IMHO

Sorry!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't agree with the man's choices but who are we to judge. Cut the man some slack I am sure he has paid for his mistakes and has learned a lesson. He came here to ask a question, not have everyone judge him for his mistakes.

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    At the anniversary date will my permit become back in force automatically ?
    If you are still in Indiana you can call Kim Cross at the ISP Firearms Licensing Division at 317-232-8264. She will be able to answer your question.
    Also try LT. Peter B. Wood (ISP) at 219-690-0026.

Anything less than this and you are guessing. Don't assume anything.
    CVarner likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

New Member Array BullseyeOutdoor's Avatar

Re: Buying firearms after a DUI

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Well, I dont want to sound too harsh here, but if you are irresponsible enough to disregard the lives of other people by drinking and driving not once,but twice, I dont think you should own a firearm until you have cleared your track record, or established a new one. Your history makkes you somewhat questionable.

Of course, I know people can change, and I dont think that this history should permanently keep you from owning a firearm. My advice is to check your state laws on the matter.
    I agree 100% u need to get your life turned around before you worry about this.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    First DUI?
    OK, everyone makes mistakes, and most of us COULD have probably qualified for such an offense, but were not stopped.

Second DUI? In 5 years?
    You don't belong behind a gun or the wheel...IMHO

Sorry!
    I know of a couple of folks that have had two dui's/ They both are fine outstanding folks now who are sober. People do change.
    Now, I know of some folks that speed, use their cell phones while driving, and have goone through red lights and stop signs, all of which could have killed people and they have not changed their behaviours. So I ask you: who are the responsible folks now?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by CVarner View Post
    I don't agree with the man's choices but who are we to judge. Cut the man some slack I am sure he has paid for his mistakes and has learned a lesson. He came here to ask a question, not have everyone judge him for his mistakes.
    People on this forum get called out for using bad judgement. Getting caught twice for DUI in five years means he probably drove drunk many more times.

This guy has a history of making really bad choices. Do we really want to help him with putting a firearm back in his hands?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by CVarner View Post
    Agreed....he comes to ask a firearms related question, and everyone (including senior members who should know better) act like judge, jury and executioner.

Perhaps the moderators should start a section "Please Judge Me" so people who are looking for others to pass judgement can post their past transgressions in that forum.

If some of those who chastised him really aren't sure that he understands the impact of his mistakes, naïveté must really run rampant, and I have some beach front property in Kansas to sell those folks. Gotta strike while the iron is hot!
    CVarner and Crowman like this.

GH
    Since you said that your DUI would be turned into a misdemeanor at the end of 5 years I'll assume that at this time you're under a felony & felons can't have possession of firearms & certainly not a permit to carry one. You didn't have to wait for a notice of your permit being revoked. That should have been automatic. Otherwise to my knowledge nothing in the legal system is automatic. Call those numbers that RightsEroding gave you & hope for the best.

Personally I don't have much use for drunken drivers. I lost several friends & my wife's sister & brother-in-law to a drunken driver. None of the victims had been anywhere near alcohol. Some didn't drink at all. In the case of the in-laws I had to identify the bodies. If you never get behind the wheel of a car or are allowed to possess a firearm it's too soon for my liking.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I know of a couple of folks that have had two dui's/ They both are fine outstanding folks now who are sober. People do change.
    Now, I know of some folks that speed, use their cell phones while driving, and have goone through red lights and stop signs, all of which could have killed people and they have not changed their behaviours. So I ask you: who are the responsible folks now?
    Way back when I took Logic 101 to get out of real math classes, that would have been a really good example of bad logic.
    wmhawth and Glhadiator like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links