Very positive LEO encounter

This is a discussion on Very positive LEO encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a great talk with a local LEO last night at a local coffee shop my wife and I frequent. I feel it was worthy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very positive LEO encounter

Very positive LEO encounter

Had a great talk with a local LEO last night at a local coffee shop my wife and I frequent. I feel it was worthy of mention because of the number of anti CCW LEO's I seem to have encountered.

It started out when I asked him about his taclight. At first I thought it was a SF Combatlight. Turned out to be a beautiful Blackhawk w/ strobe. Which, btw, was a very nice light. So we got to comparing it with my SF G2 w/ P61 head. The subject eventually got to guns as his dept is Glock only. He allowed as he thought it was a good gun but had gone to a Sig for off duty and bemoaned the fact that with all the huge growth in the area he had to carry off duty. For years he'd never really felt the need.

I allowed that I had got my permit and carried a 1911. Told him about my wife being handicapped with MS and it seemed like the predators liked to pick on the handicapped. Also about some pre-CCW encounters we'd had when she was in her wheelchair that made me pursue CCW. He was pretty disgusted with that habit and commented on the reality of that behaviour and allowed that CCW, especially in my situation was a great idea. Things were so friendly if we hadn't been in a public place we'd of probably had 'em out for comparison. Very different from many of the "young" crowd of officers I've encountered around here!

Told him about my near incident a little while back in the nearby grocery store and he confirmed stuff like this was on the rise, unfortunately. He was glad retirement was 8 more years as things didn't seem to be gettin' any better with all the growth.

Overall I sure wish we had many more like him around. Maybe we do and I've just met too many of the others!

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Indeed the pro-ccw LEOs are out there. The silent majority I believe. My LEO interaction has all been positive on the subject of ccw. I had a lot of interaction with state to local LEOs in my volunteer position and they were all pro-ccw.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I think that the majority of LEO's are like him but all we hear about in this context is the jerks which can tend to give us an unfavorable impression. I have had a couple of encounters like yours and sadly some in the other category. I make it a point to talk about the good and not the bad.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

erh

Cool Pro - Carry "Copper's..."

I've been fortunate enough to say that I can't remember ever having met a "Copper" that was
    "Anti" Legal CCW, since I've been living in the "Low Country" for more than the last 7 years now..!
    Last edited by erh; October 8th, 2006 at 12:01 PM.
    Eric Howland
    Savannah, GA.

Actually it was a Pennsylvania State Trooper who first suggested getting my CCW.
    He also told me about a free, public range only minutes from my home.

He's actually a good guy, well except for the fact that he's a Dallas Cowboys fan.

Go Eagles!
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

For some reason the more anti ones I've been in contact with have been younger LEO's. Don't know if it's been just my luck or what. By far the worst encounter I've ever had, though, was a Customs / DEA team on the water. That one was appalling......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I've had similarly good experiences re: LEO's and carrying. Heck, my local police chief (who has done wonders with limited resources, and the whole town knows and appreciates it) teaches CCW classes on the weekends.

It doesn't get much better than that!

Of course, I'm in an almost rural area, and one that is at least nominally located in the South.

Things would be different if I was elsewhere, as would be the local laws....

Here in Texas, there are a lot of CHL friendly LEOs, especially with the Sheriff's Department. Also, several of the LEOs give lessons, do the fingerprint work for CHL, and sponsor some of the training.

It is always good to hear of pro gun LEO's. It tells me that at least some of them get the picture.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

An undercover LEO came in to see me a month or so ago as a patient. I knew he was a LEO when he had to pull out his IWB holster with his subcompact GLOCK in it in order for me to examine his back. He was 27 and very pro concealed carry for the public. We ended up talking about guns for 10 of the 15 min visit.

Thanks for sharing that. Great to hear they're out there!

I don't remember of ever having a bad experience with LEO. I feel that if a person is polite to the Officer and doesn't act the Jerk the Officer will do their Job. Here in Washington when they pull up your info on the computer they know if you have a concealed weapons permit.

I think most LEOs are pro-CCDW. If you get the chance to talk with one as happened here I believe you will find the majority are for CCDW. However some are not. Sad fact is they(pro-CCDW) are not as vocal as the anti-CCDW LEOs so we don't recognize that LE as a whole supports concealed carry.

I am lucky in this aspect......Where I work, I get to work on the LEO POV, which gives me time to talk to the owners(LEO) and ask questions and get to know them.

We have about 3 (2 are mid 20s, and the other is mid 30s ;considered young?) right now that frequent the shop almost every other day, sometimes on duty, sometimes off duty. Either way, we feel that we are one of the most "protected" shops in the area.

Anyways............ my boss has about 40 acres of country that he lives on, so when we can all get together, we go out to his place and shoot each others guns. Hopefully, next weekend will be another good time.

We have been lucky I guess as these guys will come in and talk cars, and guns almost all day.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I had a bad LEO experience. I was out drivin with my buddies jammin to some tunes, smokin a J and hittin a 40, mindin my own business...NOT

Maybe our positive encounters are predicated upon our activities and demeanor.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links