Defensive Carry banner

Michigan Stun Gun Law

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sheldon J 
#1 ·
Hello to all,

I apologize asking this question because it is posted on this blog site but I need to know for sure. Can Michiganders which are CPL Holders carry Legally a Stun Gun?

Our Local gun range sells Tasers and I asked them if they sell stun Guns. They told me that Stun Guns are Not Legal.

Does one have to take a special class for Stun Gun carry? I know that one has to take a Special class in order to carry a Taser.

I just want to make sure that I am not breaking the law...

Thanks
Frado

#2 · (Edited)
This is for starters... Welcome to the Forum.

Michigan Senate Bills 29 and 30

This was put out on 04.30.2012

.......The Michigan House has decided to allow the concealed carry law to include stun guns. That's good news because, well, this should have been the case all along

Anyone hoping to carry a concealed stun gun will be required to go through the same training and licensing procedure as would somebody with an actual gun. Ideally, this should prevent people from being a bit haphazard about how frequently they hit people with a stun gun.

Good for the Michigander: Stun Guns Added to Concealed Carry - Gun News at Guns.com

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/05/08/new-law-allows-residents-to-carry-stun-guns/

https://www.usacarry.com/michigan-house-adds-stun-guns-concealed-pistol-law/

#3 ·
from my understanding A person in MI has to go through a CPL course to carry a Taser. This means they have to shoot real guns because inorder to get a Taser you have to have the same certificate as the CPL and to get a CPL you have to shoot a gun. So I feel as if some people who like the idea of a Taser but not a gun will not go through the training beacuse they are afraid of guns. JMO

#5 ·
Somewhere in my past readings I noticed something about the only type that was legal in MI was the Taser brand due to the fact they litter the are with the ID number of the stun cartridge that was fired. Some nonsense about being able to ID the person who fired the gun. However an quick search of the MI AG opinion site failed to come up with anything. A search of the web site that I thought I saw the opinion on also failed to find anything that states 'stun guns are illegal' However IANAL. Not to mention I don't think I would carry a taser/stun gun. IF the BG is in range of the taser then he is too close.

#7 ·
You know it always bugged me, that with my MI CPL I could legally carry lethal force, but not less than lethal. Now we can carry "Taser" brand stun guns but not other brands, and this still kind of bugs me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.