Gun Show Double Standard - Page 4

Gun Show Double Standard

This is a discussion on Gun Show Double Standard within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have a few people at a gun store or guns how muzzle sweep or purposely aim at you and then tell us why loaded guns ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Gun Show Double Standard

Lead Moderator
    Have a few people at a gun store or guns how muzzle sweep or purposely aim at you and then tell us why loaded guns at shows are a good idea. Sure most are safe , but idiots get in too.
    The show sponsors are trying to keep a safe environment. My LGS has a sign requiring all guns brought in for service/sale to be unloaded. CCW holder exempt unless trying holsters. While I appreciate this I would understand if they didn't want anyone armed ( due to liability).
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Had a friend ata gun show was looking at guns on a vendors rable when he stopped at a pump shotgun,picked it up and shucked out 4 live shells on the table he noticed the shiny brass in the mag tube where there shouldn't be any in an unloaded gun,the Vendor claimed he had just bought it from a guy that was selling it.If somebody else had picked it up worked the action and pulled the trigger it would have gotten real quiet for about 5 seconds before all hell broke loose
    This summer we had a vendor at a Dixie Gun Show shoot himself in the leg taking a supposedly unloaded gun out of the display case. It happened about 10 minutes before the show opened. The scary thing is that that this was the second day of the show. The gun had been loaded all day long on the first day of the show!

At our gun shows in NC, which my son and I love to attend, we can whip our guns around all we want, try out holsters and other accessories, etc. and nobody says a word, That's because they're zip-tied at the door. Makes more sense than asking you to leave 'em behind. And no magazines although you could smuggle one. That's because they also sell knives .. knife, zip-tie, get my drift?

Thing is, you could buy a mag, ammo, and a knife (metal detector at door) and shoot the place up.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    My question is, is it legal to ignore the line if you are concealing? At the show I go to in WA they usually have a LEO at the door assisting/observing the ziptie process. They don't do any metal detectors or anything, just an honor system. If I will not be exposing/removing my gun from it's concealed position in the holster, do I have an obligation still to stand in line and be rendered defenseless?
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    My question is, is it legal to ignore the line if you are concealing?
    Yes, at least in states where notification via signs doesn't have the force of law in terms of criminal trespass.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    My question is, is it legal to ignore the line if you are concealing? At the show I go to in WA they usually have a LEO at the door assisting/observing the ziptie process. They don't do any metal detectors or anything, just an honor system. If I will not be exposing/removing my gun from it's concealed position in the holster, do I have an obligation still to stand in line and be rendered defenseless?

firstly, i agree, that IF YOUR GUN NEVER LEAVES ITS HOLSTER, that you would be safe. nevertheless, if loaded, holstered, and un-zip-tied guns were allowed by policy, at some point, SOMEONE would draw their's for one reason or another, and eventually we'd have an ND.

in Washington State, ad hoc "no guns" prohibitions do not have the force of law, therefore you are 'legal' to ignore them.

BUT:

if it's a WAC show, someone should ask you, "any guns?", as you enter. are you willing to lie and say, "no"?

if you're caught, you will be expelled and your membership stripped. is it worth it? only you can say.

i prefer to abide by their rules. if i enter the show with a gun, it will be tied.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    We don't hear of problems with police officers carrying in public places that are otherwise restricted, presumably because of their more extensive training, background investigations, and certifications, as well as the consequences of bad behavior and I am proposing something along those lines for private citizens too.

noway2: your entire post was a thoughtful presentation of the conflicts inherent in this situation.

i have excerpted one section to comment on.

my primary firearms trainer once told my class that she only feels the need to wear her bulletproof vest WHEN SHE'S TRAINING POLICE OFFICERS, not when she teaches non-LEOs. it seems as far as she is concerned, that as a group, LEOs are less safe gun handlers than are 'civilians'.

so, 'training' is not necessarily a panacea against ND's.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I've seen too many stupid things done at gun shows, by people who had no clue, as well as people who should have known better. Since there is no way to know the level of competence of the people entering the show, safest solution is no loaded weapons allowed. Every gun show I've been to, that included vendors.

Yeah there are people at gun shows handling the weapons with no knowledge of gun safety. I saw a vendor showing a guy and his wife/girlfriend a handgun and the woman took the gun from hubby and pointed it down the isle into the crowd and pulled the trigger! She had know idea how to check the weapon to see if it was clear and know idea if it was clear.

I am not crazy about having to have my gun zipped tied but I live with it. Sometimes I'll forgo the hassle and lock the gun in my gun safe in my truck rather than having to unload and reload.

Personally, I don't go to many guns shows because, as you note, there usually are no great deals. Sometimes it is fun to just mill around and look at the goods on a rainy afternoon.
    That said, I would not set foot in the place if every schmo walking in was toting a loaded weapon. For reasons already described, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

As to the "rules", the safety issue aside, the companies that provide insurance for these venues virtually always require all weapons (other than LE) to be checked at the door. In regards to your comment about "force of law", the property owner always has the perogotive to prohibit loaded weapons on private property, so don't push that argument as you'll likely be asked to leave the venue.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links