Gun Show Double Standard

Gun Show Double Standard

This is a discussion on Gun Show Double Standard within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am I missing something here? "The Gun Show" A true demonstration of the 2nd amendment in action. I attend very few gun shows; mostly because ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Gun Show Double Standard

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Gun Show Double Standard

Am I missing something here?

"The Gun Show" A true demonstration of the 2nd amendment in action.

I attend very few gun shows; mostly because the (deals) are no better than what I can get online.

Anyway....

As we enter the Coliseum, I see no signs indicating a firearms prohibition.
    Prior to entering the actual venue, we have to get in line to have a nylon tie wrap placed thru the action.

As I exit the show, the attendant cuts the tie wrap for us.
    He blows me a line because he noticed I had my magazine in my pistol. He says "It's the Coliseum's policy no weapons"
    Well, I blow him a line saying "Policy; but no force of law; right?" He doesn't know how to respond.

Are you kidding me!??? No guns? At a gun show?

Further; the vendors, no less than 30 of them, are all OC'ing w/o the the wrap!

I see so many issues at stake here I don't know where to start.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; November 26th, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    Well I will be the first I guess.

Loaded guns in a gun show have been shown to be a disaster on occasion. If someone came in holstered and kept it there not an issue it does not jump out by itself and discharge but alas that does not happen. Holster fitters, "Let me show you what I carry" and so on lead to problems.

Vendors OC'ing well follow the above rules in regards to leave the damn thing alone probably would not be a major issue.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Well I will be the first I guess.

Loaded guns in a gun show have been shown to be a disaster on occasion. If someone came in holstered and kept it there not an issue it does not jump out by itself and discharge but alas that does not happen. Holster fitters, "Let me show you what I carry" and so on lead to problems.

Vendors OC'ing well follow the above rules in regards to leave the damn thing alone probably would not be a major issue.
    Dispite all that's mentioned above^^^^^ It Still happens a (ND) No Doubt ; ) PS It's Been that way sence I can remember

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post

At a private range, for example, folks have likely been through the training "sieve" on safety/handling standards promoted by the range.

As a vendor at such venues, likely the vendors who are approved for carrying at the venue have been through some sort of introduction/review as well.

But with the average Joe who's as likely to be coming to sell as he is to purchase, who's to say what level of introduction to safety/handling he's had? I'm sure such limitations by the event holder are for purposes of avoiding the all too common situation of idiots with loaded firearms unholstering them for possible sale.

"Double" standard? In the sense that the knowledgeable are distinguished from the unknown? Sure. But it's just a common step taken at such events to avoid idiocy, irrespective of whether one agrees with such a policy.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Gun Show Double Standard

Fair enough. However i dont think that the vendors are as or more likely to have training then the general public type ccw holder. You all may be right on that, but it seems to me the vendors are as likely to be 'idiots' as the customer. Not all gun shop employees or gun show vendors are immune to mistakes. Why not just have the rule of no unholstered loaded weapons?
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Am I missing something here?

"The Gun Show" A true demonstration of the 2nd amendment in action.

I attend very few gun shows; mostly because the (deals) are no better than what I can get online.

Anyway....

As we enter the Coliseum, I see no signs indicating a firearms prohibition.
    Prior to entering the actual venue, we have to get in line to have a nylon tie wrap placed thru the action.

As I exit the show, the attendant cuts the tie wrap for us.
    He blows me a line because he noticed I had my magazine in my pistol. He says "It's the Coliseum's policy no weapons"
    Well, I blow him a line saying "Policy; but no force of law; right?" He doesn't know how to respond.

I see so many issues at stake here I don't know where to start.

It sounds like you were allowed to bring your gun... just not loaded.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    I can understand it. Most people I know are safe and professional with their weapons. However these "shows" are open to the general public and there are plenty of folks out there who just don't get it. The Gun show promotors don't need a "black eye" because some puke pulls his loaded gun out to show it to somebody or tries out a new holster with his loaded hand gun and is not that familiar with it and it goes off "all by itself".
    miller_man and Grinder like this.

Usually the vendors are not selling the one they are carrying. If I had that much merchandise on the table I would want to protect it as well. Way to much gun handling goin on to allow loaded weapons on everyone..

Personally, I'm glad that they don't allow loaded carry.

I attended my first gun show a couple of weeks ago and the number of people jammed into the space, the somewhat narrow aisles was difficult enough. The thought of folks doing the "Pardon me while I whip this out." (Blazing Saddles reference) thing to try their pistol with various holsters would have had me on edge. One bump, one jostle in the tight quarters could easily cause a very unfortunate accident. (Not to mention just one idiot that wouldn't need to be bumped into...)

By the way, here in NC our laws state that you can't carry "anywhere that charges admission", so even if the event wasn't enforcing, state law nixes the whole debate/discussion.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

It is rather silly.

In Texas, the only sign that has the force of law is the 30.06 sign. At the Ft Worth gun shows, they have it in a building that is city owned. The sign, per state law, is not enforceable on city property, yet it's posted and they try to pretend it is. People challenge it but you know how that goes...

Simple, if someone unholsters a loaded firearm, kick them out. If they want to test that specific firearm in holsters or what have you, then they have to have it ziptied.

For reasons stated above, I agree with the gun show's policy. I know of several recent NDs at gun shows, including one that occurred a few rows over from me. Vendors AND attendees were implicated in these incidents. BOTH should be required to comply with the rules.

In the future, I will not attend any gun show where this policy is not consistently enforced.

It's too dangerous.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I've seen too many stupid things done at gun shows, by people who had no clue, as well as people who should have known better. Since there is no way to know the level of competence of the people entering the show, safest solution is no loaded weapons allowed. Every gun show I've been to, that included vendors.
    sensei2 and miller_man like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I believe all the previous comments are sensible as to idiots and knuckleheads. However, don't forget all the newbies who are in the market now that just don't know the safety rules yet. I visited a gun show before I was a gun owner and have learned a lot since that first visit. Things I had no idea about then, I would never do now.

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    It sounds like you were allowed to bring your gun... just not loaded.
    yes I was though the gun was essentially inoperable. I'm ok with unloaded, but at least let me carry my
    mag.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

cj
    I'll agree with the idiots, knuckleheads, and newbies. I can't tell how many times I've seen people snatch something up and pump away at the trigger in completely unsafe directions and manner. For many people, the extent of their 'knowledge' is what they've seen on TV or in movies...or on video games.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links