No takers in CO Gun Dorms

This is a discussion on No takers in CO Gun Dorms within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Apparently nobody has signed up for the dorms at CU in which it is legal for a permit holder to have their gun. Probably one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: No takers in CO Gun Dorms

No takers in CO Gun Dorms

Apparently nobody has signed up for the dorms at CU in which it is legal for a permit holder to have their gun. Probably one of the following reasons explains it. I'd lean more towards 2 and 3.

1. Nobody is interested
    2. Permit carriers are over 21 and not likely to want to live in campus dorms that have younger students.
    3. Permit holders don't want to be singled out and be completely conspicuous that they are permit holders which living in that dorm would do.

'Gun Dorms' At University Of Colorado Do Not Attract Any Students
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

2. Remove Ads

But 2 and 3 don't explain why the younger students (too young for permit) aren't signing up. That would be 1.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I'd bet reason 2 is tops, followed somewhat closely by reason 3.

Reason -- your offered reason that is -- number 1 does not explain why the younger ones are signing up. None of your reasons states the obvious for those students under 21, which likely makes up the majority of the students on campus, aren't signing up: they don't have permits.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

RammerJammer, I agree with your reasons.

What a waste of time for the Campus, and also what a waste of space in the news!
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I'd bet reason 2 is tops, followed somewhat closely by reason 3.

Reason -- your offered reason that is -- number 1 does not explain why the younger ones are signing up. None of your reasons states the obvious for those students under 21, which likely makes up the majority of the students on campus, aren't signing up: they don't have permits.
    Right, I didn't realize you had to have a CCP to stay there ... I thought it was for anyone but that CCP's would be allowed. My idea makes more sense ... how many 21-YO students still live in dorms? Some sure, but not enough to have a dorm limited to CCP holders.

VIP Member
    Assuming that the stated percentage of staff, faculty and students at both universities is correct, and that none of the staff or faculty at either institution have permits, there can be no more than 58 student permit holders at the Colorado Springs campus, and no more than 195 at the Boulder campus.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

What a stupid idea, from a university no less. Guess they'll have to come up with another way to expose the gun nuts on campus.
    atctimmy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Why are Permit Holders being singled-out anyway? IMHO, it's like having isolated dorms for...redheads or left-handers. BTW, Isn't Colorado the same state that recently voted to legalize recreational marijuana? So the word "shotgun" is okay if you're smoking a joint, but out-of-bounds if you're...defending yourself? It's like I'm living in some Science Fiction movie.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I agree with Ghost on this one. If it's legal to carry on campus as long as you have a permit, then why is there a need to single out a dorm and make it a 'carry' dorm?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

How much more expensive is the "Gun" dorm? I would assume they hiked the rate substantially just because.

Also--it's CU at Boulder for goodness sake! The most liberal community of an already extremely liberal part of the state. Chances are, if you attend Boulder, you are already pretty darned anti-2A, and if you aren't yet, you will be. It's like a different planet to me. Trycycle races are fun to watch though! :)

CU tried to ban guns on campus last year but Rocky Mountain Gun Owners and others successfully challenged the ban in front of the CO Supreme Court and it was overturned. Creating the "gun" dorm was CU's lame follow-up response after the losing the gun ban in court.

It singles out the gun owners too...... not good if your wanting to keep it a secret. That's just begging to have your sidearm stolen.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    It singles out the gun owners too...... not good if your wanting to keep it a secret. That's just begging to have your sidearm stolen.....
    I think goldshell nailed it. What is the point of "concealed" carry if you live in a place designated for gun owners. It also exposes those who live there to any sort of political and social pressure from other students. If you have a permit to own, possess, carry, etc., that 2nd amendment right should not be abridged because of where you live.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Wonder how big an uproar would erupt over an "Islamic Only" dorm? I'll bet it would be MUCH bigger than, uh...I don't know, maybe a "Baptist Only" or "Catholic Only" dorm. As long as we're dividing people up over socio-political views, we might as well sort 'em by...religious views as well!
    BenGoodLuck and joker1 like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Almost everyone leaves the dorms after the first year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links