Defensive Carry banner

No takers in CO Gun Dorms

3K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  F350 
#1 ·
Apparently nobody has signed up for the dorms at CU in which it is legal for a permit holder to have their gun. Probably one of the following reasons explains it. I'd lean more towards 2 and 3.

1. Nobody is interested
2. Permit carriers are over 21 and not likely to want to live in campus dorms that have younger students.
3. Permit holders don't want to be singled out and be completely conspicuous that they are permit holders which living in that dorm would do.

'Gun Dorms' At University Of Colorado Do Not Attract Any Students

#3 ·
I'd bet reason 2 is tops, followed somewhat closely by reason 3.

Reason -- your offered reason that is -- number 1 does not explain why the younger ones are signing up. None of your reasons states the obvious for those students under 21, which likely makes up the majority of the students on campus, aren't signing up: they don't have permits.

#5 ·
Right, I didn't realize you had to have a CCP to stay there ... I thought it was for anyone but that CCP's would be allowed. My idea makes more sense ... how many 21-YO students still live in dorms? Some sure, but not enough to have a dorm limited to CCP holders.

#6 ·
Assuming that the stated percentage of staff, faculty and students at both universities is correct, and that none of the staff or faculty at either institution have permits, there can be no more than 58 student permit holders at the Colorado Springs campus, and no more than 195 at the Boulder campus.

#8 ·
Why are Permit Holders being singled-out anyway? IMHO, it's like having isolated dorms for...redheads or left-handers. BTW, Isn't Colorado the same state that recently voted to legalize recreational marijuana? So the word "shotgun" is okay if you're smoking a joint, but out-of-bounds if you're...defending yourself? It's like I'm living in some Science Fiction movie.

#9 ·
I agree with Ghost on this one. If it's legal to carry on campus as long as you have a permit, then why is there a need to single out a dorm and make it a 'carry' dorm?

#10 ·
How much more expensive is the "Gun" dorm? I would assume they hiked the rate substantially just because.

Also--it's CU at Boulder for goodness sake! The most liberal community of an already extremely liberal part of the state. Chances are, if you attend Boulder, you are already pretty darned anti-2A, and if you aren't yet, you will be. It's like a different planet to me. Trycycle races are fun to watch though! :)

#11 ·
CU tried to ban guns on campus last year but Rocky Mountain Gun Owners and others successfully challenged the ban in front of the CO Supreme Court and it was overturned. Creating the "gun" dorm was CU's lame follow-up response after the losing the gun ban in court.

#13 ·
I think goldshell nailed it. What is the point of "concealed" carry if you live in a place designated for gun owners. It also exposes those who live there to any sort of political and social pressure from other students. If you have a permit to own, possess, carry, etc., that 2nd amendment right should not be abridged because of where you live.

#14 ·
Wonder how big an uproar would erupt over an "Islamic Only" dorm? I'll bet it would be MUCH bigger than, uh...I don't know, maybe a "Baptist Only" or "Catholic Only" dorm. As long as we're dividing people up over socio-political views, we might as well sort 'em by...religious views as well! :image035:

#17 ·
I remember reading an article a while back about Yale requiring all first year students to live in co-ed dorms. Some students objected on the grounds that their religious views prohibited them from living in a co-ed environment. The University told them that they had live in the dorms or they would not be allowed to attend the school. (Yale experience depravity for some-Orthodox Jewish students file lawsuit [contrast: woman only gym])

Seems like being liberal means enforcing your views on others even if they disagree.

Reactions: bigmacque
#16 ·
I thought we ended segregation in schools...guess I was wrong.

CU: Excuse me, Mr. Bad Guy, the unarmed students live over there.
BG: Thanks for the heads up...That could have been real ugly for me.
Cu: You're welcome. We don't want to see you get hurt while you are on campus because you might sue us.
BG: That's very thoughtful of you.
Cu: Oh, by the way, I think you dropped your ski mask.
BG: Thanks again...I'd be so lost without you.
CU: Anyway, it was nice chatting with you. Hope you have a good evening.
BG: I will now!

Reactions: Hoopinator
#18 ·
I wouldn't want to sign up for one of those gun dorms either. There would be guns on the premises! We all know how that would work out. I wouldn't trust one of those gun-totin' weirdos (myself excluded), lol.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#19 ·
I am a recent college graduate. I only knew 2 people that lived in the dorms after they turned 21, besides RAs, who got to lived their for free.

We were required to for the first 2 years, but basically everybody found somewhere else to live after that. $800+ a month to share a small room with someone and share a bathroom with a bunch of people is a horrible deal. I went the cheap route when I moved out. $250 a month to split an apartment on campus. Other people went the nicer route and got really nice apartments (the kind that give out free cookies and coffee every morning) for the same as what they were paying.

#22 ·
The comments about most folks older than 21 simply not wanting to live in a dorm are quite relevant. Also, for a group of freedom loving people, can you imagine cooperating to the extent that the administration succeeds in "belling the cat?" When a person's CCW lifestyle includes being the "gray (un-noticed) man" going along with University policy is just goofy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.