Firearms at Work - Page 2

Firearms at Work

This is a discussion on Firearms at Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by suntzu As far as being vetted, come on....seriously, how hard is it to get a CCP in a shall issue state or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Firearms at Work

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    As far as being vetted, come on....seriously, how hard is it to get a CCP in a shall issue state or a state with no CCP's? It is not that hard. And got news for ya, employers have a good idea about the back ground of their employee's these days becuase most are doing background and credit checks.
    They absolutely do not have both of my complete palm prints (or a partial thumb for that matter) and my mental health condition is none of my employer's business (except maybe for some high-security or medical workers, certainly not typical office workers) and they take my arrest record for what I tell them. Feel free to think that doesn't matter. I think it does.

I know how to use BOLD too. This is from Wiki:

"The number of permits revocations is typically small.[2][6][7] The grounds for revocation in most states, other than expiration of a time-limited permit without renewal, is typically the commission of a gross misdemeanor or felony by the permit holder. While these crimes are often firearm-related (including unlawful carry), a 3-year study of Texas crime statistics immediately following passage of CHL legislation found that the most common crime committed by CHL holders that would be grounds for revocation was actually DUI, followed by unlawful carry and then aggravated assault. The same study concluded that Texas CHL holders were always less likely to commit any particular type of crime than the general population, and overall were 13 times less likely to commit any crime.[8]"

Source: Concealed carry in the United States

I wrote the writer a lengthy e-mail because of some of the comments he made and this was the reply I received.

"Thanks for reading. Everything after slippery slope was meant as humor (satire). I appreciate your comments."

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    I wrote the writer a lengthy e-mail because of some of the comments he made and this was the reply I received.

"Thanks for reading. Everything after slippery slope was meant as humor (satire). I appreciate your comments."
    Where in the op ed were the words slippery slope used..?

Man's an idiot... an idiot, I say...
    sioux565 and ep1953 like this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    They absolutely do not have both of my complete palm prints (or a partial thumb for that matter) and my mental health condition is none of my employer's business (except maybe for some high-security or medical workers, certainly not typical office workers) and they take my arrest record for what I tell them. Feel free to think that doesn't matter. I think it does.

I know how to use BOLD too. This is from Wiki:

"The number of permits revocations is typically small.[2][6][7] The grounds for revocation in most states, other than expiration of a time-limited permit without renewal, is typically the commission of a gross misdemeanor or felony by the permit holder. While these crimes are often firearm-related (including unlawful carry), a 3-year study of Texas crime statistics immediately following passage of CHL legislation found that the most common crime committed by CHL holders that would be grounds for revocation was actually DUI, followed by unlawful carry and then aggravated assault. The same study concluded that Texas CHL holders were always less likely to commit any particular type of crime than the general population, and overall were 13 times less likely to commit any crime.[8]"

Source: Concealed carry in the United States
    Why does everyone try to prove something about where I live LOL....I just moved here in July.

Anyway, if some of us get what we want there will be no need for background checks because it is a Constitutional right to carry and the government shoould not infringe on it. But since that is not the case right now.......every state has different requirements to carry conceled. In VT there is no background check.

And just because your employer does not check your background it does not mean that many do right now. I am bringing up what happens around the US, not just a little slice of it.

Nice use of the bold though....don't know why on earth you took time out of your day to look up the stats on Texas CC'ers. And I stand by what I said, it IS NOT THAT HARD TO GET A CCP or CHL! We are not all that special. At least I don't feel like it, Look to the left and right of you in a supermarket, bank, workplace, betcha odds are those folks can get a CHL they just have not chosen to.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member
    More drivel about "more road rage" if allowed. If people would just look past their front yard and see that it just doesn't happen in the other states that do allow it (which mine is one), they could see but they choose not to and still fear the "blood in the streets" argument that was given so many times as states approved Concealed Carry. Same old tired arguments.
    goldshellback likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Sounds like the "standard" arguments against, to me, too.

First off, it doesn't seem to be a "guns at work" bill. (The fear mongering works best by calling it that, of course.) At most, it's a "cease criminalizing citizens outside of work" bill.

Criminals are already carrying, and carrying on with their violent acts. Criminals who have desired to harm those inside businesses with "pretty signage" or statutory prohibition haven't been dissuaded so far. And it's hardly as though upstanding citizens magically become frothing-at-the-mouth criminals merely because of being lawfully able to carry weapons; the statistics bear this out clearly, in every state where carry has been implemented.

IMO, the only thing the ceasing of criminalizing of upstanding citizens will do (via this sort of state legislation) is to extend the areas in which upstanding citizens will lawfully be able to remain armed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Seventh paragraph.

But let's say Bedford's bill passes. That's the beginning of the slippery slope, and there's no telling where this could wind up. Eventually, there likely would be exceptions to the keep-it-locked-up, in-your-vehicle rule
    But his three paragraphs preceding this already show that he is, as you said, and idiot.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

The author of the article obviously put far more effort into generating a witty (from his perspective) article rather than one which is based upon fact.

It is quite clear that the author does not own/use firearms and he certainly does not have a permit to carry concealed. However, in his mind, none of those is a barrier to his creative wit--whether it reflects reality or not.

My personal take on it is that if state law allows it, employer policy is not something to complain about.

Asking the state to intervene on account of your mean boss not allowing you to carry at the job you voluntarily work at seems lame, at least to me.Almost any knowledgeable CCer who wants to can carry anyway. I'm fortunate enough to have a job where my boss encourages CC, but I never, ever got stopped in the past by a company threatening to fire people for carrying weapons.

It is a great country we live in, because in most states a company owner has the right to fire an employee for most any reason including carrying, and an employee has a right to carry anyway in secret. State legislation in any direction away from that can only make us less free I'd think. It's an individual choice issue of balancing risk vs benefit, not really something worth speculating on a greater meaning of, because I don't think there is one.
    Anubis likes this.

Still bugs me that I can't carry on base. The government trustes me with a Top Secret/SCI clearance, but I can't carry...
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Some people choose to do what is necessary to ensure the safety of their person, some people choose to be victims. I would love to hear more about the author and whether or not they have ever witnessed real violence.

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    Still bugs me that I can't carry on base. The government trustes me with a Top Secret/SCI clearance, but I can't carry...
    If anything, everybody on base should be required to carry...

Edit: By everybody, I mean everybody who is on-duty.
    mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    They trusted PFC manning also
    mano3 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    They trusted PFC manning also
    And he is being dealt with... mostly accordingly. I don't really feel bad for him though, he took an oath.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links