Defensive Carry banner

Firearms at Work

3K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Edward7 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Poor and invalid argument. All this guy has to do is look at all the other states that allow employees to keep their guns in their vehicles while at work. My 2 cents.

#3 ·
I'm no rabid gun freak, just a "normal" 2A-supporting American, and I like to point out to those who favor a complete ban on handguns that CCP holders are some of the most law-abiding citizens we have. We're pre-vetted and would have a very difficult time getting away with a gun crime. Do people commit violent crimes without giving any thought to "getting away with it"? Oh, those people keep prisons full, but this mindset exists regardless of gun laws, and while guns do make killing easy, a letter opener to the jugular is fatal in three seconds.

#12 ·
I'm no rabid gun freak, just a "normal" 2A-supporting American, and I like to point out to those who favor a complete ban on handguns that CCP holders are some of the most law-abiding citizens we have. We're pre-vetted and would have a very difficult time getting away with a gun crime. Do people commit violent crimes without giving any thought to "getting away with it"? Oh, those people keep prisons full, but this mindset exists regardless of gun laws, and while guns do make killing easy, a letter opener to the jugular is fatal in three seconds.
That is only because they do not do studies about the crime rate of nuns, they might have us beat:smile: If you were to break down other groups in society you can come up with the same stat. The only thing that stat means is people had already committed a crime and can not get a CCP>

As far as being vetted, come on....seriously, how hard is it to get a CCP in a shall issue state or a state with no CCP's? It is not that hard. And got news for ya, employers have a good idea about the back ground of their employee's these days becuase most are doing background and credit checks.

Sorry, I know many CCP holders who may not have committed a crime but are just plain stupid and irresponsible with a gun and other things in thier lives.

Leave it to the employer to decide.

Reactions: mcp1810
#4 ·
My comments:
1) Even if I were to acknowlede your rights / ability to govern what I bring in to the building on my person, your right stops at my locked vehicle.
2) Regarding concern that guns would be introduced into all sorts of issues, the fact that it is currently a non issue is evidence that it would remain a non issue. Those that abide by the crime laws that make such violence illegal will continue to do so. Those that will violate them will continue to do so. Those that may get enraged and go get a gun from their cars will already cause you problems.
Overall, I think a parking lot right is the minimum standard for what should be accepted.

#5 ·
Bedford's guns-to-work bill may be good for business in the short term (higher productivity), but as I've clearly shown, it'll be lousy lousy in the long term.
Bahahahahahaha!

#6 ·
That

Author

Is a

Twit.

He, and the BCA (and every other business association), spout the same tired, pointless, unsupported arguments. There are very few instances of a worker running out to his vehicle to get a gun and perpetrate violence on other workers. Just doesn't happen.

OSHA stats show that most violence in workplace is committed by an outsider (read: criminal). In those instances where it is worker on worker violence, the worker comes directly in with the intent.

Parking lot rules have no impact on such things. They only prevent workers from carrying their defensive weapons to and from the job, during those times they might have need.

#7 ·
The last job I had was for an electronic manufacturing company who was under gov't contract for all their products. I was the EH&S (environmental, health and safety) Coordinator and had to promugate the parent company's safety and other rules. I am also a concealed permit holder. i had to look at it from both sides of the fence. The parent company was incorporated in NY city......
The company building was not exactly in the best part of town. Moreover, it was in 1/2 of what was a strip plaza, with other stores there. So, a fenced in lot was out of the question. We had drug buys and COP arrests recorded on the perimeter cameras many times. AT first, no weapons in vehicles in the "company" parking lot. Then Florida passed a law allowing the weapon in a LOCKED car. The company HAD to allow it. But they were very steadfast on: no weapons inside. Very conspicuous signs on the entrace door.
The mainteance man was allowed his "tool" knives but had to be in the tool box when not in use. We were allowed a "multitool" in a visible holster.
The employees asked about lockers just inside the door to store thier guns. Company said: no inside the building etc etc.

one time when coming to the on site manager, I asked about something guns, he said " as much as I like you and your work, if you violate the company rules I will be forced to fire you for cause". End of discussion.

All that said, I have to respect the company rules about not carrying. They can choose what, and its their company.

From what I learned at seminars, an employee who is anti gun could feel intimidated enough to quit, citing hostile environment,justifiably resign from an otherwise good job. Then sue and win.....
There are many scenrios.

The problem is there are many people just plain scared of guns. (whatever reason is not important here). Nothing will change their mind.

I would be against a law which interferred with an owners right to run his company the way he wants and forced him to do things agaist his way of doing things.....

In the above company I worked for, I kept a 9MM in a locked safe in the center console of my SUV, but did not bring it inside.
The job was more important than screaming about my 2nd amendment rights.

#13 ·
FL changed its law (The Parking Lot law) to allow firearm carry to work except in limited places. Since then, nothing really changed one way or the other. No Wild West. It's the fear of fear once more.

#15 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I do agree that employers should allow guns to be locked in their vehicles.....Same for dropping kids off at schools and other places deemed no gun zones.

#20 ·
More drivel about "more road rage" if allowed. If people would just look past their front yard and see that it just doesn't happen in the other states that do allow it (which mine is one), they could see but they choose not to and still fear the "blood in the streets" argument that was given so many times as states approved Concealed Carry. Same old tired arguments.

#21 ·
Sounds like the "standard" arguments against, to me, too.

First off, it doesn't seem to be a "guns at work" bill. (The fear mongering works best by calling it that, of course.) At most, it's a "cease criminalizing citizens outside of work" bill.

Criminals are already carrying, and carrying on with their violent acts. Criminals who have desired to harm those inside businesses with "pretty signage" or statutory prohibition haven't been dissuaded so far. And it's hardly as though upstanding citizens magically become frothing-at-the-mouth criminals merely because of being lawfully able to carry weapons; the statistics bear this out clearly, in every state where carry has been implemented.

IMO, the only thing the ceasing of criminalizing of upstanding citizens will do (via this sort of state legislation) is to extend the areas in which upstanding citizens will lawfully be able to remain armed.

#23 ·
The author of the article obviously put far more effort into generating a witty (from his perspective) article rather than one which is based upon fact.

It is quite clear that the author does not own/use firearms and he certainly does not have a permit to carry concealed. However, in his mind, none of those is a barrier to his creative wit--whether it reflects reality or not.

#24 ·
My personal take on it is that if state law allows it, employer policy is not something to complain about.

Asking the state to intervene on account of your mean boss not allowing you to carry at the job you voluntarily work at seems lame, at least to me.Almost any knowledgeable CCer who wants to can carry anyway. I'm fortunate enough to have a job where my boss encourages CC, but I never, ever got stopped in the past by a company threatening to fire people for carrying weapons.

It is a great country we live in, because in most states a company owner has the right to fire an employee for most any reason including carrying, and an employee has a right to carry anyway in secret. State legislation in any direction away from that can only make us less free I'd think. It's an individual choice issue of balancing risk vs benefit, not really something worth speculating on a greater meaning of, because I don't think there is one.

#31 ·
Sen Roger Bedford who has sponsored that same bill for three years now cannot get it passed I wonder if that is because he is a democrat and republicans control the legislature?

#32 ·
This individual has "pulitzer prize winner" in his sig line. I would have expected a top level journalist to have at least BASIC critical thinking skills. I fully recognize that folks who disagree with me on things sometimes have good, valid, well-reasoned arguments for their point of view. This is not one of them. There is not a single logically sound argument made by him in this entire article.

I suppose I am not surprised, really. My expectations for journalists are generally pretty low.

#33 ·
I would like to add this:
My occupation (before retirement) was Electronic R&D Engineering, with most jobs being with gov't contractors. (Consumer products not made here anymore)
The employers did background checks as early as 1966 when I was a quality supervisor (My first job).
In most states, someone doin a background check, even at the Barney Fife level, would know if you have a concealed weapon permit.
In NY stste, the county website will tell ANYONE this who signs in. In Florida, a list of CWP holders can be bought easily, based on the junk mail I receive. (God help up if it becomes a federal issue license..)
Point is: almost anyone can know if you have a permit.

Again I say this: I am against p-assing a law which removes decision making from a business owner.
We have OSHA, Fire code, electrical code, workmans comp, etc regulationas which cause enough problems.

That said, most businesses forbid employee firearms because some attorney told them so.

#34 ·
In Florida, a list of CWP holders can be bought easily, based on the junk mail I receive. (God help up if it becomes a federal issue license..)
Point is: almost anyone can know if you have a permit.
Your reply appears to involve rash judgement and assumptions. I've never had any indication that my CWFL info has been released, even the LEOs I formerly worked with said a separate search (other than the typical DL checks) had to be done by them to obtain that info.

If you really feel your CWFL info is being released you need to make yourself familiar with this FL statute and perform some followup investigation.

790.0601 Public records exemption for concealed weapons.—
(1) Personal identifying information of an individual who has applied for or received a license to carry a concealed weapon or firearm pursuant to s. 790.06 held by the Division of Licensing of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is confidential and exempt from s. 119.07(1) and s. 24(a), Art. I of the State Constitution. This exemption applies to such information held by the division before, on, or after the effective date of this section.
(2) Information made confidential and exempt by this section shall be disclosed:
(a) With the express written consent of the applicant or licensee or his or her legally authorized representative.
(b) By court order upon a showing of good cause.
(c) Upon request by a law enforcement agency in connection with the performance of lawful duties, which shall include access to any automated database containing such information maintained by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

#35 ·
Not only does my work (ocean spray.) not let us keep our guns in our cars they "warn" people not to talk about our guns to much or it may be perceived as a threat. We drew the line when they said we couldn't read gun magazines on our brakes.
You should always be able to have you're gun in your OWN CAR!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.