Gander Mountain....I dunno about them...... - Page 2

Gander Mountain....I dunno about them......

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain....I dunno about them...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The gun cases at the Gander Mountain by me are so filthy and greasy I can barely make out what guns are in there, much ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain....I dunno about them......

The gun cases at the Gander Mountain by me are so filthy and greasy I can barely make out what guns are in there, much less the prices for them. Maybe if they'd invest in some Windex they might sell a few a few more guns.

Gander Mountain here (Paducah, Ky) would have to stand on their Momma's shoulders to kiss the LGS (Shooters Supply) on the fanny! The counter help is clueless, the prices are ridiculous, they can NEVER recruit & keep good staff & it seems the employees who ARE trying to get the job done are at odds with their supervisors (who are, in turn, at odds with their managers). Every time I go in the place, I feel like I'm the one doing a BAD job at being...a customer.
    AngryBadger417 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

You know the place is on the rocks when the customers are the one doing a bad job^^^

Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    The gun cases at the Gander Mountain by me are so filthy and greasy I can barely make out what guns are in there, much less the prices for them. Maybe if they'd invest in some Windex they might sell a few a few more guns.
    That's a problem, alright. They can't sell what customers can't see, plus it gives a bad impression. I worked part time at a Galyan's store (now Dick's) many years ago, and we had to clean the cases every night as part of our closing procedures, along with straitening products on shelves, vacuuming, etc. Nobody wants to shop in a dirty, ill kept store.

GM price matches and usually will beat the price. Only once have they not been able to beat the price of another shop and that was on an HK.

I tend to save for my next toy, but don't make the final decision on what I am purchasing til last minute....therefor I can be impulsive on my firearm/ammo/accessories purchases. GM maintains a large inventory and have a better chance of what I want being in stock. The downside to my closest store is customer service at the gun counter can be lacking. Mostly due to light staff.
    “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”
    ― Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    I was in the Dayton, Ohio store earlier this year and saw a Glock 26 for $699.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I think I bought a Limbsaver off their website and got free shipping so I was very pleased with that transaction. Not so much with every other encounter.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    My LGS prices are far below the big stores. I have bought 3 guns, plus ammo and accessories, from them in the last 3 or 4 months. When I walk in, they address me by name and make me feel welcome...the big stores just can't do that.

The one near me prices things weird. Some things will be priced reasonably, if not below that, and then other things will be obscenely marked up. They had a lower grade CMP M1 for $1,199, and trade in Glocks for as much as the new ones.

They will match prices. They have done it for me but you have to ask them, they won't volunteer.

Gander Mountain....I dunno about them......

BPS, Gander Mtn, Cabellas etc often have great sales on long guns. especially lower end or "no frills" hunting rifles like Savage Axis, Rem 770, Weatherby Vanguard, etc. They often have good prices on some of the slightly better stuff like Savage 11's, Marlin X7, and Ruger American as well. mostly because the LGS usually doesn't carry them at all. I've never found a bargain on any defensive type firearm in any of those stores though. hunting only.

I thought huge chains stayed in business (and ran Mom & Pop out) by keeping prices low. Don't see how GM can survive if they're higher than a local gun shop. I'd love to have that problem. My local Mom & Pop is higher than Dick's or Mace Sports for sure but they also provide service and consistency. But I don't know who they sell ammo to. They're $5 a box higher than Wally and I'm not married to a Romney so I Wally up and look for deals on the net as far as ammo goes.

I enjoy visiting Gander Mountain Gun World, but mostly because it's a stone's throw away from my house. :) I love to go there and just browse. They have a lot of inventory. There is an older gentleman employed there who has a vast knowlege of firearms and I love to pick his brain. But, if I find something I want to purchase, I will usually end up at Academy or the local gun store. They do have higher prices than just about anyone else in the area. But every now and then, they will have a decent sale or two. They still sell a lot of firearms. During Black Friday, they told me they sold about 150 guns that morning.

The LGS where I live has the highest prices I've ever seen. They are riding the wave of Obama fear and taking advantage of people IMO. I'll take Gander over them any day.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

They are a volume purchaser and therefor they should be able to undercut the smaller shops. Since they don't do that, it seems that their business model is not customer satisfaction, but their bean counters wet dream of grabbing the bucks no matter the consequences. They can be of use with their sale items if you are very careful and compare like items. I much prefer a LGS if I had a decent one anywhere near me. The closest one to me has some hangers on that are in a continuous contest to see who can belch, fart, and scratch themselves the most. And are all "experts" in anything "gun".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links