Gander Mountain....I dunno about them......

This is a discussion on Gander Mountain....I dunno about them...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The only reason I go to GM is to browse. I think I've bought some cleaning patches from them before, but they are horribly over ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Gander Mountain....I dunno about them......

The only reason I go to GM is to browse. I think I've bought some cleaning patches from them before, but they are horribly over priced. All of the LGS in the area are very close when it comes to the price of guns. For those of you that live near a Fleet Farm/Farm and Fleet, be sure to check them out for ammo. The Farm and Fleet closest to my house has the cheapest ammo I can find in my surrounding area.

2. Remove Ads

All of my gun store experience so far has been online, except with the LGS I bought from. Gander Mountain's high prices on their site turned me away from being a potential customer. Another LGS had really bad reviews. The LGS I went with was awesome and I bought from him again a week later, and will most likely do so again if I want another.

At Gander Mountain Gun World in Germantown WI I've seen guns for OVER MSRP. Used guns for just a little less than MSRP, and some sporterized old military bolt guns for more than a nice unscrewed up one normally goes for.
    Good place for looking but that's about it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The couple of times I entered a GM the prices were higher than giraffe testicles. If they are willing to come down, they should start by removing those over-the-top price stickers on everything.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vista461 View Post
    At Gander Mountain Gun World in Germantown WI I've seen guns for OVER MSRP. Used guns for just a little less than MSRP, and some sporterized old military bolt guns for more than a nice unscrewed up one normally goes for.
    Good place for looking but that's about it.
    They got a lot of guns to look at. I bought some there last year and they were a good deal, they seemed to have adjusted the prices. Used guns are well overpriced there. You have to really know what you are looking at. Once and a while there is a deal. ( far few between). I am glad there are there. Its a good place to kill an hour or two. Cabelas can be the same way. Once and while there is a great deal, most of the time premuim retail prices are the norm.

GM near me way overpriced. Unfortunately, the LGS is as bad, sometimes worse. If I drive 50 miles to Grand Rapids, GM there is 10% and sometimes more than that cheaper than the GM in Kalamazoo. But, the big dealer in Grand Rapids, Silver Bullet, routinely sells under MSRP, which I guess the local GM recognizes and deflates their prices to come closer to matching Silver Bullet's.
    I like to keep my money local, so will usually go with Silver Bullet. But, if I'm feeling too lazy, I'll just go to the GM in Kalamazoo and have them call Silver Bullet for a price check and then match it.

VIP Member
    Gander Mountain here only lasted about 3 years, they couldn't compete with the BASS Pro that opened in a better location/ easier access, about 2 blocks from them.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    They are a volume purchaser and therefor they should be able to undercut the smaller shops. Since they don't do that, it seems that their business model is not customer satisfaction, but their bean counters wet dream of grabbing the bucks no matter the consequences. They can be of use with their sale items if you are very careful and compare like items. I much prefer a LGS if I had a decent one anywhere near me. The closest one to me has some hangers on that are in a continuous contest to see who can belch, fart, and scratch themselves the most. And are all "experts" in anything "gun".
    That provided me with a disturbing but funny visual.
    daddysgirl likes this.

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Places like Gander and Bass Pro Shop are good places to go see a lot of different guns, get a feel for them, and look them over closely. But I will always work with the LGS when it comes time to buy ... I've developed a relationship with them over time, and they know me and I know them and they'll work with me on deals to get a good price on just what I want. You'll not see that at Gander or Bass Pro or any of those retailers.
    JD and Curzyk like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

A few quick points:

I work at the Local Gander Mountain part time while I'm trying to get my own business established.

1) I doubt they are paying any less for firearms than most of their competitors. I use to work in the wholesale side of the industry and real significant differences in prices paid for guns are rare. The real big guys will make it up in terms, getting up to 120 days (maybe more) to pay for gune, and advertising allowence which they slip into the margins. But the reality is no one is making a big retail profit on firearms, especially with the cost of processing and security in firearms sales. The LCSprobably makes more money on the range than any guns they sell.

2) The store I work at for the most part has a very good staff including the store mgr when it comes to gun knowledge, and we aren't afraid to suggest LGS (we don't have a range). I still have a good relationship with my LGS and don't hesitate to send a customer to them.

3) As far as service we try real hard, but we are way understaffed (typical of big box retail) and we aren't always successful at getting to customers promptly. But I am amazed by how many customers complain about a couple of the LGS's for service and appear to like us better.

4) On pricing the local store has little or no control of it. From what I've seen we're mid pack, not the best, but we have some deals. On used guns when the store buys it, it's usually a pretty good deal, when the company buys it, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Gander Mountain here (Paducah, Ky) would have to stand on their Momma's shoulders to kiss the LGS (Shooters Supply) on the fanny! The counter help is clueless, the prices are ridiculous, they can NEVER recruit & keep good staff & it seems the employees who ARE trying to get the job done are at odds with their supervisors (who are, in turn, at odds with their managers). Every time I go in the place, I feel like I'm the one doing a BAD job at being...a customer.
    I cant stand shooters supply tho, their prices are horrible. Check dunns, or grandrivers antique. for example shooters was selling a used glock 21 for 499. where grandrivers was selling it brand new for 516.

The best place to buy a gun, around here is Grand rivers antique store. The guy there sells them at cost, I think he is only in it for the ffl.

The worse thing about gander mountain is how they rearranged there store so there is no direct isle to the gun department, you have to walk around the store are go through the damn maze of the clothes racks.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Burk....GM here is asking 649.99 for a Glock 19 that I can purchase NIB online for 490.00 or in LGS for 525.00.....suggest you mention this site and this thread to your upper management...they may be interested in the impression their stores are making among gun buyers across the country.
    ZX9RCAM likes this.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by Burk View Post
    A few quick points:

I work at the Local Gander Mountain part time while I'm trying to get my own business established.

1) I doubt they are paying any less for firearms than most of their competitors. I use to work in the wholesale side of the industry and real significant differences in prices paid for guns are rare. The real big guys will make it up in terms, getting up to 120 days (maybe more) to pay for gune, and advertising allowence which they slip into the margins. But the reality is no one is making a big retail profit on firearms, especially with the cost of processing and security in firearms sales. The LCSprobably makes more money on the range than any guns they sell.

2) The store I work at for the most part has a very good staff including the store mgr when it comes to gun knowledge, and we aren't afraid to suggest LGS (we don't have a range). I still have a good relationship with my LGS and don't hesitate to send a customer to them.

3) As far as service we try real hard, but we are way understaffed (typical of big box retail) and we aren't always successful at getting to customers promptly. But I am amazed by how many customers complain about a couple of the LGS's for service and appear to like us better.

4) On pricing the local store has little or no control of it. From what I've seen we're mid pack, not the best, but we have some deals. On used guns when the store buys it, it's usually a pretty good deal, when the company buys it, who knows.
    I can attest to the bolded part of your statement in point #1. When I worked at Galyan's we never had sales on firearms, because the margins just weren't there. However they always did have a price matching policy, and they sold guns for a very reasonable price, counting on repeat business.

Like bigmacque, I have developed a relationship with a couple of my local gun stores. They are willing to give me a price break because I have bought from them enough before and they know I will likely buy more from them in the future. I am always greeted by name when I walk in the door of both stores, and sometimes before I have a chance to say anything, one of the sales guys will say "Come over here. I've got something I know you'll be interested in." And many times they are right.
    blitzburgh likes this.

The Flint, MI Gander Mountain store is always $50 to $100 higher than the LGS on new handguns, on used ones they are almost as high as new ones at LGS most of the time but sometimes there is a good price on a used one. I bought a nice Beretta 84 BB there last week for $276.62 +tax but they took 45 minuets for them to complete the sale, it takes 10 minuets at the most at the LGS. It will have to be a great price on a hard to find used gun for me to bother with them again, i never seen a gun store take so long to do paper work plus playing on the computer for 10 minuets. Their prices on clothing is way higher than anywhere else too.

Why would one price match at GM instead of just buying from an LGS?
    I don't figure GM would do a price match on a gun the LGS does not have in stock.
    pir8fan likes this.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links