Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is EXACTLY what I dislike about some people!!!!!

3K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
So, I'm on the social media and I guess everybody can have an opinion especially if you express yours openly. To set this up, I wrote a post about not being able to carry my weapon to work (military base) and this is how the conversation went....

Of course names will be changed for privacy act. Just to let you know B is me.

B- "Doesn't like the fact I can't carry a firearm to work..."
S- "Why do you need to?"
B- "I like to exercise my second amendment right at all times. Sometimes, I stop places before going home (now that we can wear NWU's around town) and even in traffic or getting gas. You never know when an idiot will "act a fool"."
S- "I don't think that's a great reason. Sorry B. I completely respect your right to own a gun, but there's no reason to have it always strapped to your side, especially on a military base. Now in your glove compartment might be a little more acceptable, but I don't want to live in a country where everyone walks around with guns. That could easily spell disaster."
B- "Could spell disaster with uneducated ignorant people that don't know proper gun control. I agree. I don't want it on my side while on base doing my day to day activities at work. I want to keep it in my vehicle while in the squadron, but I can't. I see no need for it while I work. (especially when we have MA's at our gate and you need a line badge to get in the gates). Strange things have been known to happen to and from work. It would just make me feel comfortable to have a firearm in my vehicle and with me wherever I go."

Ok, It pisses me off a little, even though everyone is entitled to their own opinion about guns. I open carry every single day while I'm at home doing chores and what not, also conceal carry. I'm not sure if I handled this right or said the proper things. If anybody has their own opinions about how I handled this or how I could handle similar situations in the future please share!!

Thx,

B

See less See more
#2 ·
Respecting the right to own a gun but restricting it based on opinion?

#5 ·
No disrespect but you're wasting your time arguing with people about guns. For the most part, they have formed their opinions out of emotion and the most rational argument in the world will not sway them. Now if they come to you, on the other hand, and they have an honest inquiry because they want to give the matter a true assessment then by all means educate them about the matter. If they aren't, however, of the persuasion to approach the issue with an open mind then you're going to find yourself battling a whole barrel of logical fallacies. There's a reason they don't carry the same as you do, they have a different mindset. If they had the same mindset as you, they'd probably be carrying all of the time as well.

#8 ·
OK G-kin...... I'm with ya on the not being able to carry on base. I'm a recently retired squid and sidearms are just a no-no on base.

As for social media, chances are slim of changing their point-of-view via that medium anyway, but just telling someone you 'exercising your rights' isn't convincing to me, much less somebody set in their anti state of mind. Why do you want to carry to and from work? Why should he/she not be alarmed by this (i.e. YOU carrying a gun)? Why does your social-media friend NOT like YOU carrying?........

.... see where I'm going with this?

Obviously it's a federal installation, no guns. I can't stand it either...... but convincing another with a hard mindset of "No gun for anybody" may need more than a back-n-forth over smartphones.

If this person is open-minded enough and a close enough buddy introduce him/her to your firearms in an easy, non-threatening manner...... even a range date maybe. Explain yourself and your reasonings when the discorse can be open.

Now, having said that, some folks ain't gonna change their minds. Drop it and carry on. Whatever they think dosn't match up with you so to heck with convincing 'em.

#12 ·
OK G-kin...... I'm with ya on the not being able to carry on base. I'm a recently retired squid and sidearms are just a no-no on base.

As for social media, chances are slim of changing their point-of-view via that medium anyway, but just telling someone you 'exercising your rights' isn't convincing to me, much less somebody set in their anti state of mind. Whay do you want to carry to and from work? Why should he/she not be alarmed by this (i.e. YOU carrying a gun)? Why does your social-media friend NOT like YOU carrying?........

.... see where I'm going with this?

Obviously it's a federal installation, no guns. I can't stand it either...... but convincing another with a hard mindset of "No gun for anybody" may need more than a back-n-forth over smartphones.

If this person is open-minded enough and a close enough buddy introduce him/her to your firearms in an easy, non-threatening manner...... even a range date maybe. Explain yourself and your reasonings when the discorse can be open.

Now, having said that, some folks ain't gonna change their minds. Drop it and carry on. Whatever they think dosn't match up with you so to heck with convincing 'em.
I agree with everything said here. Well I knew him in college as an acquaintance, never hung out with him. I'm a slight homophobe and he's well, gay. No disrespect. He is actually in the Navy now too, go figure. So back to the gay thing, I figured that's pretty open minded in itself.

#9 ·
All I would venture to this conversation is that if carrying a gun with you is a 24/7 compulsion and you find you have trouble functioning without a gun at arms reach that in itself may be a problem. There are tons of places you are not allowed to carry your gun. Do you avoid going to these places for that reason? just saying........................................

#13 ·
Schools-nope
School buses-nope
Polling places- once every four years
Courts-nope
Court offices-nope
Racetracks-nope
Secured airport areas-nope
Within 1,000 feet of the premises of an execution on the day of execution-nope
Any business where alcohol is sold if more than half of their revenue is from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption-don't drink
Locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place-nope
Hospitals-nope
Nursing homes-nope
Amusement parks-nope
Places of worship-nope
Government meetings, if signs are posted prohibiting them-base, everyday.
Any business that posts signs prohibiting handguns on their premises based on criminal trespass laws- rarely run into these in OK

#11 ·
Remind them (s) of Fort Hood and all the school shootings thru out the country. Places where guns are prohibited are the hunting grounds for those who wish to do harm. I have the same problem, no weapons on company property. I drive 60 highway miles each day to and from work. I park in a public parking lot at work. In Texas it is illegal to enforce this policy, but there are no penalties for doing so. That leaves me unprotected and unarmed most of the time.

#14 ·
This Site (DC) is about as close as I get to Social Media.... I don't argue with idiots. I politely respect that they are idiots and walk away.

Age has its advantages. :danceban:

#18 ·
Wow. Weird thread....

I have never had anyone try to refute my reasons for carrying - I present it as like having a seatbelt or a fire extinguisher. Better have it and not need it than need it and not have it. It's a personal choice everyone can make.

If everyone in society was armed - maybe some more people would be shot - at first. Then only smart/careful/responsible people would be left...
We're a long ways from that ever happening though.

Austin

#23 ·
d2jlking....."I like to exercise my second amendment right at all times". plus the tone of the post indicates he wants the gun at work but can't..getting gas, and doing normal everyday things...doing things inside the house........as if he is sort of indicating that he feels the need to have a weapon at all times.

Now, you may not agree and that's fine, I understand, but I think you also may realize there are those that carrying a gun is a compulsion they can't control. I know a few myself and you probably do also.

#26 ·
Now in your glove compartment might be a little more acceptable, but I don't want to live in a country where everyone walks around with guns. That could easily spell disaster.
I'd tell your friend, "I don't want to live in a country where BG's walk free. But guess what? They do everyday, everywhere, they carry guns, and they do bad stuff to good people, everyday, everywhere." I agree with others that this is not a winnable argument. The fact that "S" claims to be okay with guns, but puts arbitrary restrictions on the location of the gun (glove box vs. on your hip), really shows this person is truly ignorant of firearms. As if your firearm is somehow safer in glove box, or your home, or wherever, or they think your firearm is somehow more dangerous once you step outside your home or car. Please, I've seen this debate before.

It's the "not in my backyard" argument. These type of people advocate for homeless shelters, sober-living homes, half-way houses, sex offender homes, and the like, but as soon as they find out they're going up in their neighborhood, they fight against it. Same with guns. They say they're pro 2A, as long as it's not anyone they know, and as long as people exercise their rights within their self-conceived, arbitrary restrictions.

#28 ·
In a free society it is important to change minds for power but for mear civility it's only necessary to understand the argument.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.

#29 ·
It's GREAT to have (finally) reached both the age & level of maturity to stop trying to convince anyone of anything. Winston Churchill said it best, "The truth is irrefutable. The cynics may scoff & the ignorant may disagree. But, at the end of the day, there it is." I am clearly convinced on my 2nd Amendment position. What others believe...is none of my concern. :biggrin2:

Reactions: tacman605
#30 ·
Well just as you want to exercise your 2nd Amendment right he want's to exercise his 1st Amendment right to free speech and his opinion.

The simple fact is many people don't like firearms as much as others, for whatever reason but it is there right. Who am I or any of us to say that they are ignorant, sheep, stupid or uninformed? Some people do not like motorcycles for various reasons ok great don't ride them. If you do not like Catholics ok fine don't go to mass. Don't like orange shirts....you get the point.

He is not going to change your mind and you are not going to change his, leave it at that.

Reactions: wdbailey
#34 ·
What we have heah, is a failuhr... to communicate.
S- "I don't think that's a great reason. Sorry B. I completely respect your right to own a gun, but there's no reason to have it always strapped to your side, especially on a military base. Now in your glove compartment might be a little more acceptable, but I don't want to live in a country where everyone walks around with guns. That could easily spell disaster."
B- "Could spell disaster with uneducated ignorant people that don't know proper gun control. I agree.
S is speaking as a nanny state, and B is speaking as an individual. Now B has to explain that, on the societal level, in states where concealed carry is widely sanctioned, there are no more gunfights or even crimes than in states where concealed carry is widely prohibited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.