Can't get my hybrid holster to be comfortable HELP - Page 3

Can't get my hybrid holster to be comfortable HELP

This is a discussion on Can't get my hybrid holster to be comfortable HELP within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sioux565 My advise is to give it more than a week. When I first started carrying IWB, it was not comfortable. After ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Can't get my hybrid holster to be comfortable HELP

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    My advise is to give it more than a week. When I first started carrying IWB, it was not comfortable. After a few weeks of carrying daily, I couldn't even tell that I had a gun inside my waist. You are still new to this as you said, so just give it some time.
    I agree with this 100%. You need to give a new holster a fair chance. Most holster, especially leathers and hybrids, need to be broken in before they feel the most comfortable. You may not like it at first but it may grown on you and become your favorite holster.

RAL
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave22387 View Post
    Bought a gun belt... Fixed the problem :-)
    Glad it wasn't the holster after all. Old Faithful hybrid holsters are exceptionally well made! A real gun belt does make a difference!
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Crossbreed Supertuck. I don't feel a full size 1911. Great gun belt from The Beltman. Elephant hide. http://thebeltman.net/

A good belt makes it better, but they are still not comfortable. Not sure why everyone loves them so much. Bottom line is anything IWB is not all that comfortable. Depending on what position you have it your pants and belt may need to be up to 4 or 5 inches bigger.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Not a gun belt yet... ($$$). When you say further forward do you mean like 1-2 o'clock?
    Crossbreed Holsters - Second Hand Holsters

I wear a modified CBST Deluxe w/CB Belt AIWB. (Extremely comfortable!)

-

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    Not a gun belt yet... ($$$). When you say further forward do you mean like 1-2 o'clock?
    i have a $17 belt from 5.11 that i got from gander mountain, just a two layer nylon stitched together. it works great and now i have two. i bought it to fill a temporary role while looking for a "real gun belt" but it worked so well i just stopped looking. i was gonna get an ares gear ranger belt.

i agree that the hybrid is not for every one, glad it worked for you. i prefer OWB leather myself.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

You need to get a gun belt. Any waistband setup is useless without a gun belt. Get a good one and you're set for awhile. My Galco Cop Series belt has served me well. My Foxx hybrid is very comfortable and concealable when paired with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DenJ View Post
    A good belt makes it better, but they are still not comfortable. Not sure why everyone loves them so much. Bottom line is anything IWB is not all that comfortable. Depending on what position you have it your pants and belt may need to be up to 4 or 5 inches bigger.
    Because they are indeed comfortable?

I'm a habitual holster buyer. I buy 2-3 holsters a month. And sell off almost as many (the ones I don't like). IWB kydex. IWB hybrid. Little Foxx holsters. N82 tactical. OWB kydex. OWB paddle. You name it and I've tried it.

But I always find myself strapping on the Foxx hybrid most often. It's very comfortable - I've worn the same gun and holster for 16+ hours daily one week straight and at times I forgot I had a gun on me.

Will it work for everyone? I dunno: do you feel comfortable wearing someone else's underwear type/size? If it doesn't work for you just keep looking. When you find your solution you'll find it. You don't have to care if others find it comfortable.

I have carried guns off and on for over fifty years. I started with a cheap hip holster on my belt. Over the years, I have tried most types of carry and always go back to hip carry on my belt. I tried small of the back carry and hated it. I tried in the waist band and hated it. I tried Kydex and hybrids and hated them. I tried ankle carry and hated it. I tried shoulder holsters and did not like them for concealed carry. Every year or two, I take a box of slightly used holsters to the LGS for a credit on future purchases. The most comfortable for me is either a leather pancake style holster on my hip or a leather in the pocket holster for a BUG. I carry a government size 1911 in this D.M. Bullard Combat holster from the time I get dressed until I go to bed. It is very comfortable for me.

I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Senior Member Array palmcoaster's Avatar
    You may need to shift it to 5:00

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The only trick I found was to put the hybrid in the drawer and get a different holster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Same here.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.
    Same here, I find kydex from Panther Concealment to be much more comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I just purchased an old faithful stage 3 kit for my cw9. I've been wearing it about a week or so and this thing is not really comfortable. Every body and their mother says these hybrids are great... I wear 3:30 to 4 o'clock. It seems pretty worn in now. It's like the kydex won't let the leather wrap around my body. Any tricks from y'all experienced folks. I'm new to CCW. I'm used to having an m9 and m4 where conceal-ability wasn't an issue... HELP
    The problem you have is stated above in bold. Hybrids tend to work best at 4 to 5 o'clock, so that the gun rests pretty much against your kidney. I had the same problem the first time I tried a hybrid. I tried to use it strong-side at 3 o'clock like an OWB holster, and it didn't work. I messed with it a bit, moved it around, and found where it works.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    The problem you have is stated above in bold. Hybrids tend to work best at 4 to 5 o'clock, so that the gun rests pretty much against your kidney. I had the same problem the first time I tried a hybrid. I tried to use it strong-side at 3 o'clock like an OWB holster, and it didn't work. I messed with it a bit, moved it around, and found where it works.
    It's different for different people. I'm strictly a 3.30 position person and it works for me. Physical conditions and body structure dictate what's comfortable.

I just purchased an old faithful stage 3 kit for my cw9. I've been wearing it about a week or so and this thing is not really comfortable. Every body and their mother says these hybrids are great... I wear 3:30 to 4 o'clock. It seems pretty worn in now. It's like the kydex won't let the leather wrap around my body. Any tricks from y'all experienced folks. I'm new to CCW. I'm used to having an m9 and m4 where conceal-ability wasn't an issue... HELP
    Many folks like the hybrid holster. I'm not one of those. I've tried them and just can't stand that big honking piece of leather inside my pants. I'm an aiwb guy.

If you're new to carrying I'd suggest you do this. First determine what carry position you like best. Stuff your UNLOADED cw9 and stuff it into your pants at the various positions. Go right around the the clock on your strong side. Sit, stretch, bend, work in the garage, cook, whatever. You get the point. It's not exactly the same as doing it with a holster, but it will give you an idea of what position works best. Once you know where, look at holsters designed specifically for that position.

Everyone is different, there is no one right answer. Your body type and clothing preferences will play a big role.

Here is what rides slightly in front of my right hip. Hope you get it sorted out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383176802.410605.jpg

You really need to give it time. Nothing is going to feel comfortable right away. I have a N8Squared Tactical Original, a Ramora, and an Old Faithful kit holster. None of them felt right for the first couple of weeks. Now I can use any one of the three with no problem. I have Old Faithful's gun belt also, by the way. Their belt/holster combo is what I'm using the most often these days, mostly every day. I've become so used to them all that I feel like I need to check that my Ruger is still there!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links