Need York City ruling

This is a discussion on Need York City ruling within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just posted by Desantis on their Facebook page http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...=xAQFF54xm&s=1 Nice holster George...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Need York City ruling

Need York City ruling

Just posted by Desantis on their Facebook page http://m.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3...=xAQFF54xm&s=1

Nice holster

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

2. Remove Ads

For those of us who don't use Facebook, what does it say?
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

Just says that you still can't carry in NYC without "a VERY good reason"... Which will likely never ever change.

So doesn't say much.

No gun for you !!!
    kmagnuss and ANGLICO like this.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    For those of us who don't use Facebook, what does it say?
    The link is not actually on Facebook; it's Concealed Weapons Not Protected By The Second Amendment: Court - New York - News - Runnin' Scared concerning a case involving Westchester County just north of NYC. But I don't recommend clicking the link.

NY state is bad, being may-issue-for-cause, but I have heard of many NYers with the unrestricted permit. Maybe some counties are easier than others...

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    The link is not actually on Facebook; it's Concealed Weapons Not Protected By The Second Amendment: Court - New York - News - Runnin' Scared concerning a case involving Westchester County just north of NYC. But I don't recommend clicking the link.

NY state is bad, being may-issue-for-cause, but I have heard of many NYers with the unrestricted permit. Maybe some counties are easier than others...
    By NYers do you mean the state or the city? Most counties don't restrict your CCW to certain means like target and hunting. Erie County does. I upgraded mine to unrestricted a few years ago. NYC is a whole 'nother ball game. My state issued CCW permit is not legal there. The bad guys on the other hand, don't give a hoot. Too bad Upstate NY can't become a separate state.

Jim

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I was writing about NY state outside NY City. Your comment about the 2 areas being so different as to separate could apply to a lot of places. Chicago is full of anti-2A politicians and the rest of IL would have CC if not for Chicago. Denver and the rest of CO is similar, although we did get shall-issue before the Democrats took over the entire state government.

Will be interesting to see if they appeal this. So many contradictory rulings in the various circuit courts on what restrictions, if any, can be applied to the concealed carry of firearms outside the home.
    tmoore912 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post

Yes, exactly. Most counties in NY are not anywhere like NYC, cities with dense populations nationally are often more difficult and NYC with 8 million, and twice that surrounding it, well......
    But I have Unrestricted from Erie County, some counties have no restrictions. Restrictions are for the county to place on the State Permit, which is for Carry, and they are local ordinances not gun law. Counties can use them or not, or use them for a time period, or rarely use them. Most areas it is not a problem to Carry.

Many don't know this, so they assume the whole state is prohibitive. It isn't. It couldn't be - I think the State is about mid-way in the list of states by permit rates.

And in the vast majority of the State, once you have a permit: it's for life. No renewals. And I never see any "No-CCW" postings on any establishments.

NYC has an additional body of laws I believe, so NYC (NY County) does not operate like the rest. Restrictions are not just county ordinances but regular Law.

Just keep in mind the city vs state reality.

I have no problem for most (most, not all) of NY State's gun laws - most make sense to me as far as general safety watch-outs. I've never felt obstructed from doing what I want with my guns as a law-abiding citizen.

The state of Washington is like this also. Politically speaking, the three counties around metro Seattle are the tail that wags the whole dog (due to population). We are still fortunate enough to have reasonable CC laws here, though. A big thank you to those that worked to make it so. State preemption FTW!
    aus71383 likes this.

Gura will appeal to the Supreme Court. This is good news. This is precisely the type of case that the Supreme Court needs to weigh in on whether there is any right to bear arms outside of the home.

The Second Circuit is basically saying, "Make us."
    aus71383 and oneshot like this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Interesting information about the three Federal Judges who ruled on this:

Anti-gun federal panel torpedoes right to carry in New York - National gun rights | Examiner.com

That this particular panel would arrive at the conclusion they did should hardly surprise anyone who understands who they are and that expecting fair and unbiased judicial review from establishment-approved jurists with an agenda is a myth perpetuated to give such courts the appearance of authoritative legitimacy. In fact, all three of these characters have pasts and documented sympathies that would have made any other ruling improbable, to put it kindly.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

GH
    If the reasoning behind the restrictions is you need a "very good reason" to carry a gun I'd cite the 2nd Amendment. That's a reason good enough for me. None other needed for a citizen of the USA.

Another "very good reason" is that everyone who shouldn't carry a gun is & I'd like to have an even playing field.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

How come protecting yourself from harm is not a good reason??
    GH likes this.

i think around 30,000 folks in NYC has some form of handgun permit, from CC to just use at home and at a range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links