New York Pistol Permit - Questions for those who have done it.

This is a discussion on New York Pistol Permit - Questions for those who have done it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (cross-post on another forum to try to get some answers) Hi All, I'll be coming up on living here (PRNY) for 6mo. pretty soon so ...

Thread: New York Pistol Permit - Questions for those who have done it.

Thumbs up New York Pistol Permit - Questions for those who have done it.

(cross-post on another forum to try to get some answers)

Hi All,
    I'll be coming up on living here (PRNY) for 6mo. pretty soon so I wanted to get started on my pistol permit application and had a couple of questions for anyone who has gone through it...especially if you are in Monroe County.

1. Has anyone here ever been a reference for a permit application? I'm just looking for a general idea of the type of questions that they ask. Since I have to come up with 7 people to use as references, I haven't seen some of them in a couple of years and was just wondering if this would be a problem.
    2. Anyone know if you can cross-list a firearm on two permits in Monroe? ie. the same gun on both my permit and my wife's permit. When we lived in NH sometimes we would carry each otherís guns and I was wondering if this is possible here since Iíve heard that some counties donít allow this.
    3. Is it OK to list multiple handguns on the initial pistol permit application and, when approved, will the S/Ns be on my permit or will I have to get something from my transferring FFL that says the pistols actually exist?
    4. Anything else I should know about the process? Other than the fact that it takes a looonnngggg time to get approved? Last I heard Monroe was as close to a shall issue county as you could get. Has anything changed with the judges in the last few months?

Thanks so much for the time and help I know itís a lot of questions, and I know that most people on here live in free states, but I want to do this right!

I found this website helpful in answering a lot of my questions so I'll post it in case someone else here is in the same boat as me.
    http://www.nyspistolpermit.com/

Hopefully, someday soon, I will be able to carry once again! ...after jumping through the proverbial hoops of course.

2. Remove Ads

PM sent

Thanks slimjim!
    replied with question for you.
    Last edited by raysheen; October 9th, 2006 at 11:17 AM.

I got mine in Ontario county last year. The LEO that investigated me was very PRO 2-A and VERY thorough. I had 4 written references and he asked for a couple more on the phone during the process.

The upshot is that it only took 7 weeks from fingerprints to notice that it was approved. Which is REALLY fast for NYS.

Ontario is effectively a shall issue county.

NYS is strange, they check your background like it is a security clearance but then don't require any training. To take a shotgun into the woods and hunt anything you need a 2 day course, but i can walk around just about anywhere in public with a loaded handgun concealed and no training is required.

NY is strange and varies by COunty. On Long Island you woul dhave to live there for a year before even applying as the references must be people in the county who have known you for over a year. Other counties may vary.

I do not know if you have had it addressed but do NOT bring your handguns into NYS with you without first getting something in writing from the issuing agency in NY. Odds are you will have to have them shipped from a FFL in NH to a FFL in NY where you will then have to go through all the hassle and paperwork to say nothing of the expense of transferring them. It can get expensive quickly.

The good news is when you leave simple tell them to Kiss your A$$ and never return.

Good luck in Monroe, I was looking into a job near there once for a firearms related company but it was not to be.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguns View Post
    I got mine in Ontario county last year. The LEO that investigated me was very PRO 2-A and VERY thorough. I had 4 written references and he asked for a couple more on the phone during the process.

The upshot is that it only took 7 weeks from fingerprints to notice that it was approved. Which is REALLY fast for NYS.

Ontario is effectively a shall issue county.

NYS is strange, they check your background like it is a security clearance but then don't require any training. To take a shotgun into the woods and hunt anything you need a 2 day course, but i can walk around just about anywhere in public with a loaded handgun concealed and no training is required.
    I got my CCW in Steuben county in 1988,at that time you had to have a valid NYS hunting license to apply,which meant you had to sit through a hunter safety course.
    All of my handguns are registered on both mine and my wifes permit.I think if you are only going to live here six months you are SOL,I think you have to be a resident to apply,and by the time you submit the paperwork and recieve the permit you will most likely already have moved on.

I'm in monroe county and got my permit there.

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    1. Has anyone here ever been a reference for a permit application? I'm just looking for a general idea of the type of questions that they ask. Since I have to come up with 7 people to use as references, I haven't seen some of them in a couple of years and was just wondering if this would be a problem.

Your references need to sign the application so you'll need to see them to get the app filled out. I wouldnt let the sheriff know you havent seen them in a while and let them know not to tell the sheriff. "don't ask, don't tell" I guess. Just be sure that they actually know you even if you don't see them often any more. The 3 references in your county just sign it with a phone # and address. The 4 references from your previous place of residence need to sign the additional form and have it notarized. Make sure to specifically ask for the additional form when you pick up your app at the county clerks office. I spoke with all of my references after their call. They were all co-workers and actually transferred the sheriff to my extension at work so he could ask me questions. They asked my references things like do i drink, have they ever seen me get angry and any details about it, what do they know about my hobbies, have they ever seen me get angry at my girlfriend. They all basically told him that i'm a good guy, easy going, I'm into the outdoors with all my fishing and camping and that i've been hunting and shooting rifles most of my life. One reference told him that I had been researching laws about where I can/can't carry and he said the sheriff sounded impressed that I took the time to do it. The sheriff asked me most of the same stuff that I filled out on the permit. Employer, address, marriage status. He asked me what type of hunting I want to do with a handgun (it was one of my reasons). He asked if I took the monroe county homeowner gun glass thing which I hadn't. I told him that I took the NRA basic safety class, which was not a requirement. He asked a little about the class, i.e. hands on vs. laws and said that the Monroe county class is more to do with laws and responsibilities than hands on safety. I took the # and dates for the class from him and said I would take it. He asked what I do to relieve stress, as in what hobbies do I have. Thats all I can remember at the moment.
    2. Anyone know if you can cross-list a firearm on two permits in Monroe? ie. the same gun on both my permit and my wife's permit. When we lived in NH sometimes we would carry each otherís guns and I was wondering if this is possible here since Iíve heard that some counties donít allow this.

Yes, you can list the same gun on multiple permits. They do not need to be relatives or even Monroe county residents. You're right, some counties don't allow it but Monroe county does.
    3. Is it OK to list multiple handguns on the initial pistol permit application and, when approved, will the S/Ns be on my permit or will I have to get something from my transferring FFL that says the pistols actually exist?

I didn't do this but I believe you can get paperwork when you buy the guns with the serial # etc... on it and list that on the permit right from the start and the release cards to give to the FFL would be included in the envelope when you get your permit. I would call Michelle at the pistol office and verify. Monroe county does not limit the # of guns you can have on a permit so I don't see why initial listings would be limited.
    4. Anything else I should know about the process? Other than the fact that it takes a looonnngggg time to get approved? Last I heard Monroe was as close to a shall issue county as you could get. Has anything changed with the judges in the last few months?

It's still basically shall issue as long as you have a clean record. Right now I was told if you live in the city of Rochester (which goes through the city court) it's taking about 7 months. The rest of the county goes through the county court. Mine went through there and took 7 1/2 months. I got it last april. My co-worker got his in about 7 months this July. Another guy I know took 9 months and got his a month ago.

I am SO GLAD I don't live in New York state, or city!

Sheesh!

Links