Defensive Carry banner

Yet Another Anti-Gun Friend Story

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
...well, I've read the anti-gun friend threads and now I have one of my own...a bit of a long read, but some of the anti quotes are worth it...

OK, so I've known this woman for about six or seven years now...she went to med school with my wife and is a good friend of the family. She was over at our house, in bed with my wife and I...hmm...just to be clear she wasn't IN bed with my wife and I but sitting on our bed with us watching a movie (the only TV in the house)...we had it made up kind of like a couch...anyway, during an "intermission" when we stopped the movie to go and get some snacks, her eye catches the AR behind the curtain and so begins our scene. As some background, she didn't know that my wife and I are gun owners since we don't usually talk about this kind of thing with people if they aren't "in the circle"...anyway, back to the story: so she sees my rifle (and the shotgun next to it) and starts to motion like she is going to try to pick it up. At that point my wife and I ask that she not touch it...no yelling or being mean, just "quickly" so that she doesn't get to it before we tell her. Then she starts getting all worried looking. Saying (practically yelling) things like "OH MY GOD IT'S LOADED?!?" to which I replied instinctively, "All guns in this house are always loaded" (referring to The Rules not the actual status of the gun which was unloaded and locked). Then she really started to get upset thinking that she almost picked up a loaded gun and that she could have killed someone. Then the real interesting questions started coming out...I had a little bit of fun with her since she was starting to calm down by this point...it went something like this:

Her: "What do you need a gun like THAT for anyway?!"
Me: "A gun like what?"
Her: "A Rambo gun!"
Me: "What's a Rambo gun?"
Her: "I don't know....one that looks like that"
Me: "So your afraid of the way our guns look?"
Her: "Yes! Why do you have two of them next to your bed?"
My Wife's answer: "Have you seen the neighborhood up the road a few miles?"
My answer: "His & Hers"
Her: "So...what....if someone breaks into your house you're just going to shoot them?"
Me: :confused: "It depends on if they try to steal my stereo or not (cracking a joke to calm her down a bit more) ....but, in general, if they make an aggressive move toward anyone in my family then yes."
Her: "...."

Me: "I take it you grew up in a house without guns huh?"
Her: "Yep, we never had any guns....I HATE guns!"
Me: "Why do you hate guns?"
Her: "They scare me!"

After all of this my wife and I tried to talk her into coming to the range with us and showing her the proper handling and respect that firearms deserve. She said that she would go if I attended a belly dancing class with her....she thought that was a way out...but now I'm signing up for that belly dancing class :yup:

We are still very good friends and she has even said that she will be more than happy to be a personal character reference on our CCW permits. She just has the all to typical problem of being educated about firearms by the entertainment industry and the media. So it's time for a re-education on her part and my wife and I will be the teachers for now. We don't hold a grudge toward her anti comments but we will certainly try to show her the other side...and point out the some of the positive things about firearm ownership to her. We'll be taking her to the range with a nice non-scary single shot .22 rifle....and, with some luck, we will have another convert in time. Now...I wonder if I should mention that I've been to her house (and her parent's house) while packing...hmm...I think I'll wait a while to mention that to her! :rofl:

See less See more
#4 ·
After all of this my wife and I tried to talk her into coming to the range with us and showing her the proper handling and respect that firearms deserve. She said that she would go if I attended a belly dancing class with her....she thought that was a way out...but now I'm signing up for that belly dancing class :yup:
What are your plans for concealing while belly dancing?

#5 ·
hmmm, good question! :icon_mrgreen::icon_mrgreen: unfortunately, I have yet to move my pistols into this state...so I haven't been carrying for about 5 months now...see my other thread about applying for a NY pistol permit for the answer to that one :icon_neutral:

#6 ·
I had to check to see where I was because I thought it was turning into a Penthouse forum. Darn it! You disappointed me. :tongue:

Good job with the talk though. It’s usually a fact of ignorance and education.

Be sure to post pics of the Belly Dancing. That should be interesting.:danceban:

#10 ·
Looks to me like everyone is still good friends - and there is maybe a ***** in the armor :smilez:

Report back after that first belly-dancing lesson huh! :rofl:

#12 ·
Well the best belly dancer up here was male, so it won't hurt, great workout and you will earn brownies with the wife. Not to mention you can explain why you are taking belly dancing and perhaps convert a few more...

When your wife takes her belly dancing, then you can post videos for us. :smile:

#14 ·
Gun toting SWINGERS! The board just got a whole lot more interesting.
You're gonna love what the belly dancing class does for your midriff. Uh, abs. Abs.

I've got a colleague that's a tad anti-gun. After a recent shooting of a knife-wielding man by sheriff's deputies as he turned/rushed to enter a home, my colleague pondered why the officers couldn't simply have shot him through the hand or something. He was only 18yrs old, he had his whole life in front of him ... why, oh why!, did they have to take him out, etc.

We exchanged a few comments and it was clear that he had a fear of the realities. He knew I was going out of town recently to enjoy some shooting with friends, up in the hills. Yesterday, he mentioned that he's always kept away from firearms but would consider learning more about them once his kids got out of the house. Hm. An opportunity to introduce him slowly and painlessly into the basic safety, handling and usage of firearms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.