Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime - Page 10

Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

This is a discussion on Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have spent thousand upon thousands of dollars with Autozone ( I repair cars and have an account ) over the years. I no longer ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

I have spent thousand upon thousands of dollars with Autozone ( I repair cars and have an account ) over the years. I no longer will do business with them as a result of their actions.

If corporate policy is worth more than human life and not honoring a hero than let them feel the results of their actions. I am one of many who have made a decision to never enter theirs stores again. I will be cancelling my account tomorrow with a letter to explain my dissatifaction!
    rigel42 and Colleen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Just curious. How is it that he did not handle it in the best way he could have? He is ex military. He is trained in self defense. He is an expert marksman. He handled it as well as any police officer would have. He actually did better because I think a cop would have just blown the guy away even if his hands were in the air. The gun was still in his hand. That's enough for any police officer to fire on him. With Devin's way, no one got hurt. IF it had gone differently, it would have been the untrained robber who got hurt....or killed. He was up against a man trained by the military.
    I must have missed this reply to my post. I meant that once the employee was free, going back into the situation was not a good idea. I won't go into all whys and wherefores, as I know someone else already covered that. Other than that, I am on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    It means everything. He was trained with both assault rifle and handgun and he practices at the target range on weekends. Until the robber ran, he WAS stationary! When the robber ran, Devin at that point had no reason to shoot at him. I have a sneaking suspicion that Devin's actions have somehow emasculated you because you could not do what he did. You will deny this but your words seem to be resentful towards him. Just my opinion of course.
    Wow. Colleen I was pretty much on your side, but you're very quickly losing me. My manhood is not defined by whether or not I would have gone back into the store. I can assure you, my manhood would be intact even if I were to decide to stay out and be a good witness.

You may want to brush up on your debate skills. casting personal aspersions against those who disagree with you is not an effective tactic.

VIP Member
    SmokinFool, don't play the victim because Colleen was talking to suntzu.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    SmokinFool, don't play the victim because Colleen was talking to suntzu.
    Play the victim? Not sure how you came to that conclusion. I do not have a victim mentality. Never have. In replying to the post, I was simply using me as an example, the point being that the choice any of us may have made in this situation has absolutely nothing to do with courage or manhood, and making these personal attacks does nothing to advance the discussion. That was the one and only message I was conveying.

I don't really give a hoot what Colleen says. So you guys stop arguing over it LOL. She is proud of her nephew and feels that anyone that disagrees with his actions or trys to critique it so others can learn what to do better if they choose to do that course of action is an idiot. She does not understand what this forum is for:discussion. Whatever. I know some folks here disagree with me sometimes but at least they don't run around saying I feel somewhat emasculated What ever floats her boat and makes her feel good.

I wish her and her family well.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I must have missed this reply to my post. I meant that once the employee was free, going back into the situation was not a good idea. I won't go into all whys and wherefores, as I know someone else already covered that. Other than that, I am on his side.
    It truly amazes me that people are so scared of helping another human being. Oh well, there are heroes and then there is everyone else apparently. Devin did not leave the building for his own safety. He left the building to get his gun. If his gun was on his person and not out in his truck he would never have left the building in the first place.
    1MoreGoodGuy and pittypat21 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I don't really give a hoot what Colleen says. So you guys stop arguing over it LOL. She is proud of her nephew and feels that anyone that disagrees with his actions or trys to critique it so others can learn what to do better if they choose to do that course of action is an idiot. She does not understand what this forum is for:discussion. Whatever. I know some folks here disagree with me sometimes but at least they don't run around saying I feel somewhat emasculated What ever floats her boat and makes her feel good.

I wish her and her family well.
    Do not put words in my mouth. I never called you an idiot. I have an issue with only YOU and your gloom on what he did. Not anyone, just YOU. You supposedly took all this to PM with me to keep it off the forum and now here you are again out here crying like a girl. You refuse to even acknowledge my issue with you which is using my nephew as your instruction tool on how not to handle a crisis situation. You continue to try and rain on his parade and rain on the people calling him a hero. You just prattle on and on and on like an old coot stuck on a moment in time without the ability to move forward. Like I told you in PM, your idea of educating is being brought to the table late. Everyone knows there is two faces to fate. No matter how carefully something is planned out, it is still going to go one of two ways. Either it will work or it won't. You are a man of careful planning. Devin is a man of action. You have an issue with action and yup since you brought it up again, I do believe he's made you feel emasculated because you know you would not have gone back into the store to save your buddy. You would have stayed outside where you were safe under the pretense of not wanting to upset the robber. Paint it anyway you want but I believe you would be too scared to help so yes, for you it would be best to stay outside.

You also called me a liar. You made the claim that I am here pretending to be Devin's aunt. You told me to go pretend to be someone elses aunt or uncle who had made the news. How dare you be so nasty and you knew it was nasty which is why you hid it in PM rather posting it to the forum. You do all your dirty work in PM then post to the forum that you are the victim. You are a piece of work. Go prattle to someone who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Wow. Colleen I was pretty much on your side, but you're very quickly losing me. My manhood is not defined by whether or not I would have gone back into the store. I can assure you, my manhood would be intact even if I were to decide to stay out and be a good witness.

You may want to brush up on your debate skills. casting personal aspersions against those who disagree with you is not an effective tactic.
    Are you suntzu? Because that's who I was talking too. Are you one of those people who has multiple accounts on a forum? You should see how suntzu handles aspersions. He hides them in PM so you all don't see how he attacks people when you're not looking. :) I hope you do not view him as some sort of hero here.

Last reply to Colleen. You do not attack a person with a PM. You do not do it in a forum. I asked you questions in a private manner. You seem to think that is rude. Good day Colleen. Enjoy the forum and again, best wishes to your family and Devin. Saw him on the news today...nice guy.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    You do not attack a person with a PM. You do not do it in a forum.
    Listen to your own advice, then live it. Do not make me prove what you actually said to me in PM. You sir are not a nice man when no one is looking.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Sorry folks, I see it different. While I can understand an appreciate his motive, I cannot say I agree with his actions.

Should read:
    "Autozone fires employee for breaking company policy and using bad judgement."

He escaped danger, got to a safe place, and should have called 911 while remaining there, or moving to safety. Grabbing your gun and running BACK into danger is just plain a bad idea if it's not your family.

Disclosure:
    My opinion is based on my training and my knowledge of the law in the state of Minnesota.

You too see only 1/2 the story. It was after hours. The store was closed. It was only himself, the manager and the robber. This is the second time in a month that robber had held up that store. Devin saw a chance to get his gun this time and attempt to stop the robber. The manager was in the office on his knees at the safe. Devin came back with his and with clear sight as to where the robber was and where his manager was and knowing his manager was out of the line of fire, he ordered the robber to stop, freeze, drop the weapon. Call the police? The police have been called over 60 times for this one robber. They can't catch him. Sometimes it's our civic duty to do what the police can't do. Devin took the chance to stop a second robbery at this store. He is a hero because he went back for his manager. He is embedded with the creed, "leave no man behind" in what is perceived to be a dangerous situation. He could not in good conscious go against that creed. One criminal holding a gun on a civilian is enough for him to legally turn a gun on the criminal. Virginia allows their citizens to defend themselves. The police in his town are calling him a hero. Perhaps Minnesota does not? I'm sorry to see that you see potentially saving a life as bad judgement. I hope if I ever have a gun help on me, someone like Devin is around.

As for "he escaped danger".....this time he did but made a conscious chose to go back in and save his manager. There are responsible and capable people in this world you know. They all do not have to wear a badge to be responsible and capable. Devin is a responsible and capable man.

Since that AutoZone is a known easy mark for this robber, he would have just kept coming back, again and again. Maybe the next time, no one escapes the danger. Maybe the next time everyone dies because AutoZone has made it publicly clear that their employees are not allowed to defend themselves. AutoZone has handled this all wrong from the start. Now every criminal in the state (well mor elike country now) knows to go rob an AutoZone. They keep lots of cash on hand and they just hand it over without question or struggle. Come back weekly because the cops can't catch you anyway.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    No, you only see what happened... what you don't see is the potential for things to go horribly wrong.

It worked, this time... and he's lucky.

What if he had come in with his gun, causing the robber to shoot the manager in the head (escalating the situation) and the robber escaped?
    What if the 'robber' ended up being a friend of the manager and was playing a bad prank and the employee shot him?
    What if an investigation shows the the manager was involved in the plot and taking a cut in the 'robberies'?

Way too many 'what ifs' to risk my life for, and possibly leave my family behind because I'm dead or in prison.

This isn't war, and I am not an officer of the law - neither was this person, what he did may or may not be completely legal where he lives, but it doesn't mean it was within the policies the store had set on private property. As mentioned before, I'm sure avoiding Autozone will only send you to another parts place that has the same or similar policy for employees, I would think most large corporations do. They have insurance, let them take the money...

In the end, firing one person is a lot less expensive and less to deal with than opening up the rats nest of what could follow if it's allowed to break policy 'just this once'.

Since when is saving another man's life a bad idea? A store's policies do not mean squat when confronted with a life or death situation. I agree with Colleen here, Devin IS a hero - not a coward. There are people out there, like Devin, who think about more than just themselves.
    Last edited by pittypat21; December 5th, 2012 at 02:54 PM.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Links