Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

This is a discussion on Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Again, my opinion is based on my training and knowledge of the laws in Minnesota which I'm sure are quite different than Georgia, Texas, Virginia, ...

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

Again, my opinion is based on my training and knowledge of the laws in Minnesota which I'm sure are quite different than Georgia, Texas, Virginia, etc.

But I stand by my opinion based on this happening here... I would not risk my family living on the street because of a decision I made to play hero. If my family was inside the store then my tune changes, my goal is to keep them safe.

Choosing to be around for my kids does not make me a coward, I'm still helping by being a good witness and dialing 911 from a safe location, where I will go home - alive.

Even if you would consider it a cowardly move, I really don't care. I'm not a cop, I'm not trained in these situations, and I don't have the legal and financial backing of the state to handle it for me if things to wrong.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Since when is saving another man's life a bad idea? A store's policies do not mean squat when confronted with a life or death situation. I agree with Colleen here, Devis IS a hero - not a coward. There are people out there, like Devin, who think about more than just themselves.
    In Bold: Who on earth is saying contrary to that. Nobody is calling him a coward and everybody is saying they are glad the way it turned out...I am a tad confused here when folks have a differing opinion they are alluded to as cowards or they would never help a person in need.

What happened to respecting someones opinion. The last two pages have been hurled with personal attacks and innuendos.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Funny thing is, real life harder than forum life - I'd bet some of the ones calling others a coward for not doing what he did would probably still be in the bathroom whimpering.

Nobody has ever called me a coward to my face - so yeah, whatever.

If you read what I posted, you would see that I didn't call anybody a coward. You would also see that I didn't say that anybody called him one, either. I stated that this man is NOT a coward. He didn't just run out to save his own life and leave his manager to possibly be killed, as others have suggested that he should've done. I didn't call anyone anything; any assumptions made to the contrary are just assumptions.

Read what I wrote. I write my opinions in plain english, not with anything written between the lines.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Temperature is going up on this topic. I need to go for a run
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    It is not family I agree. However others Lives are worth saving to. There is a line between courage and foolish. Who am I that could judge when I was not there. We all like to suppose what we would do but we only have moments to decide. Years to train but moment to decide
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Sorry folks, I see it different. While I can understand an appreciate his motive, I cannot say I agree with his actions.

Should read:
    "Autozone fires employee for breaking company policy and using bad judgement."

He escaped danger, got to a safe place, and should have called 911 while remaining there, or moving to safety. Grabbing your gun and running BACK into danger is just plain a bad idea if it's not your family.

Disclosure:
    My opinion is based on my training and my knowledge of the law in the state of Minnesota.
    OD* likes this.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71
    No, you only see what happened... what you don't see is the potential for things to go horribly wrong.

It worked, this time... and he's lucky.
    Compliance did not work for the store clerk 2 towns away the night before this indecent. He got killed anyway. The robber took the money the clerk handed over and then killed him. Good thing Devin chased away his robber.

What if he had come in with his gun, causing the robber to shoot the manager in the head (escalating the situation) and the robber escaped?
    Doubt it. The robber is human too. He does not want to die either which is why he has a gun for protection. He would know that by shooting the manager, Devin would have shot him and killed him. If anything he might have pointed his gun at Devin and there would have been a stand off. Now the robber would actually have to hit Devin and kill him but what if he wounds him. Devin will fire back. The robber does not want to be shot. I doubt he would have pulled the trigger taking the chance he would be capped. Most criminals are not like the ones you see on TV in made up shows. Most are cowards and will run from an armed civilian. Just as this one did.

What if the 'robber' ended up being a friend of the manager and was playing a bad prank and the employee shot him?
    I repeat. This is the second time the fake beard robber had held up this store. This was Devin's second encounter with him. Clearly he knew this was not a joke. And besides any idiot who dresses up like a criminal to play a "joke" on their friend deserves to get their butt shot by an employee defending their boss and friend.

What if an investigation shows the the manager was involved in the plot and taking a cut in the 'robberies'?
    This is just too ridiculous to even comment on. Do you know anything about this story? The fake beard bandit has been running loose in Virginia for almost a year and has hit over 60 locations. But you want to suggest that the AutoZone manager is in cahoots with him. Uh huh.

Way too many 'what ifs' to risk my life for, and possibly leave my family behind because I'm dead or in prison.
    Your choice to let fear rule your life and decision making because that's all it is. Fear. The police in his town are calling him a hero for his actions.

This isn't war,
    No one is calling it war. It's one human being defending another human being. Yet people see that action as wrong. I have to wonder about those types of people.

and I am not an officer of the law - neither was this person
    He was a civilian doing his civic duty and safeguarding a person when there was no officer of the law present. This is actually Constitutionally legal. You should read the US Constitution.

what he did may or may not be completely legal where he lives,
    It's legal. You should Google search the laws before commenting and what if'ing.

but it doesn't mean it was within the policies the store had set on private property.
    What it means is Devin values human life over store policy. His training in dealing with bad guys comes from his time serving in the Air Force. If we can trust him to go to war and kill the enemy then we should be able to trust that he can handle a situation in a store with only one armed criminal.

In the end, firing one person is a lot less expensive and less to deal with than opening up the rats nest of what could follow if it's allowed to break policy 'just this once'.
    Apparently you are missing the rat's nest AutoZone is sitting in right now with thousands of people boycotting their stores and sending e-mails to the corporate office and making phone calls and leaving comments on AutoZone's public pages. Just think of all the lost revenue AutoZone will experience and during one of the busiest times of the year in the retail industry. A court case would probably be cheaper than the revenue they will lose to all the boycotts and there is more than just the one on Facebook. Insurance does not cover the lost revenue in this case. There is also a boycott in Canada. Apparently you have no idea how far reaching this is and how much it will end up costing AutoZone, including putting a stigma on what was once a good name in the auto parts industry. They made a hero the criminal. This is what the majority of the people see. AutoZone bigwigs shot themselves in the foot on this one.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Re: Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

I'll make this easy to understand.

If I wouldn't go into a situation without a gun, I'm not going into it with one.

If we disagree we disagree.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

If I wouldn't go into a situation without a gun, I'm not going into it with one.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.
    As long as you continue to be nice and safe in your bathroom have at it
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    It is not family I agree. However others Lives are worth saving to. There is a line between courage and foolish. Who am I that could judge when I was not there. We all like to suppose what we would do but we only have moments to decide. Years to train but moment to decide
    Listen to Devin's interview. He sees his manager and co-workers as his friends and family. This is how Devin was raised. He was raised to believe we are all one and we are all family and family protects family. Knowing something about a person makes a difference in how *you* (indirect "you") judge him. In Devin's mind, he was protecting his family member, one of his own and his military training made it impossible for him to "leave a man behind".
    1MoreGoodGuy and preachertim like this.

Then why do you even carry?
    Colleen likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Then why do you even carry?
    Seriously?

Read what you put in bold... I don't GO INTO situations where I would need a gun, I avoid them. Violent attacks happen, I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from such attacks. I carry to protect us in case of a home invasion... Again, I don't go into a situation with a gun, that I wouldn't go into without one. If my family was in danger, I'd do anything I could to help them, with or without a gun. This is not one of those situations, he left - was safe, and only came back in when he had a gun, to the best of my knowledge without ever having been in that situation, I would not have done that - again, based on my training and my education on the laws of MY state.

In my younger years before I had a family of my own, maybe my thought process would be different... I don't know, I can't go back in time, but right now, today, I have 3 little kids and a wife that depend on me, THAT people, is my priority in life.

Sorry folks, I see it different. While I can understand an appreciate his motive, I cannot say I agree with his actions.

Should read:
    "Autozone fires employee for breaking company policy and using bad judgement."

He escaped danger, got to a safe place, and should have called 911 while remaining there, or moving to safety. Grabbing your gun and running BACK into danger is just plain a bad idea if it's not your family.

Disclosure:
    My opinion is based on my training and my knowledge of the law in the state of Minnesota.
    Nope! Should read:
    AutoZone Fires Hero for Protecting His "Family"
    pittypat21 and Colleen like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I think this situation has alot to do with maturity. Certainly everyone is going to act different, we are different. I agree that sometimes you must be a good witness and that is something I try to teach. However I am sure there are times I would not do the same thing twice if I thought about it. Courage is about character and it coming out at a spontaneous time. Many times if we thought to much we would not and may not even have that time to think. This is not rising to the occasion but reverting to the training. His back Ground and character came out. I will trade a job for a life everyday. I know the economy is tough but jobs are plentiful and can be replaced. I can not bring people back from the dead.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    Apparently you are missing the rat's nest AutoZone is sitting in right now with thousands of people boycotting their stores and sending e-mails to the corporate office and making phone calls and leaving comments on AutoZone's public pages. Just think of all the lost revenue AutoZone will experience and during one of the busiest times of the year in the retail industry. A court case would probably be cheaper than the revenue they will lose to all the boycotts and there is more than just the one on Facebook. Insurance does not cover the lost revenue in this case. There is also a boycott in Canada. Apparently you have no idea how far reaching this is and how much it will end up costing AutoZone, including putting a stigma on what was once a good name in the auto parts industry. They made a hero the criminal. This is what the majority of the people see. AutoZone bigwigs shot themselves in the foot on this one.
    I don't know where your AZs are, but the only people at the ones here are the usual customers. Do you really think that many people care about AZ's policies other than warrenties and returns? No one here does. I seriously doubt the AZ bean counters will see the slightest hiccup in company profits over this.
    Thunder71 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Links