Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

14K views 194 replies 63 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
#7 ·
I'll play the other side, AutoZone does not train their employees in self-defense. In their minds, Most of their staff are not as competent as Devin McClean. Think lawyers and liabilities. There are a lot of idiots out there and its a safe bet AutoZone employs a few.
I think that was GraySkies point that you might've missed: a few of them are at HQ. But seriously, can you cite one case in which an employer incurred penalty as a consequence of responsible self defense by an employee? It's heavy-handed and dimwitted risk management. Like general gun bans and prohibitions, the facts don't bear out the fears.

#8 ·
Companies like loyalty and initiative that doesn't expose the company to millions of dollars in damages if something goes wrong during your defense of their property. Stay within the bounds of company policy or choose another place to work.

ETA: there have been plenty of worker's compensation payouts when an employee got injured trying to resist a robbery.

#20 ·
It would be very easy for a company to write a policy that would protect itself from damages while not also requiring that the firing of an employee that does try to prevent a robbery. A company could state that thier policy is non-resistance in the face of robberies and that any other action taken by the employee is thier personal decision and the employee assumes all risk of actions deviating from the policy. It would not prevent a company form getting sued, but there is no protection from getting sued

Could you please name some cases were workers' comp paid for an employee getting injured trying to resist a robbery. I have not heard of any.

#9 ·
Save lives ... get sacked. IMO, it's typical corporate/company head-in-nether-regions type intolerance for standing up for what's right.

Way to go AutoZone. Not.

#14 ·
Just waitin' for Suntzu on this one.

These companies blow.

Like Pistology stated in post #7

It's heavy-handed and dimwitted risk management. Like general gun bans and prohibitions, the facts don't bear out the fears.

Just the facts Ma'm.
The corporations don't want to hear the facts, it gums up the agenda.
That to be sucessful in CORPORATE AMERIKA, one has to get along, to go along.
Welcome to the NWO.

Sent them an e mail.

Heres what I sent;

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against “Fake Beard Bandit”

Your corporate policy is pathetic, as is all companies with these idiotic policies of no weapons.
The fear of lawsuits and huge liabilities is a misconception, which can not be proven to be correct.
It is an unfounded fear, which is not bourne out of facts.
Go ahead and cite me one time you have been sued, or had to pay out a substantial amount of money.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/contactus/contactUsConfirmation.jsp?_requestid=1878588

#28 ·
Just waitin' for Suntzu on this one.

These companies blow.

Like Pistology stated in post #7

It's heavy-handed and dimwitted risk management. Like general gun bans and prohibitions, the facts don't bear out the fears.

Just the facts Ma'm.
The corporations don't want to hear the facts, it gums up the agenda.
That to be sucessful in CORPORATE AMERIKA, one has to get along, to go along.
Welcome to the NWO.

Sent them an e mail.

Heres what I sent;

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against “Fake Beard Bandit”

Your corporate policy is pathetic, as is all companies with these idiotic policies of no weapons.
The fear of lawsuits and huge liabilities is a misconception, which can not be proven to be correct.
It is an unfounded fear, which is not bourne out of facts.
Go ahead and cite me one time you have been sued, or had to pay out a substantial amount of money.
AutoZone Contact Us Confirmation
Sorry, did a 18 mile run today but hope you didn't wait all this time to hear my rply:king:

Okee dokee.
1. Of course I am glad no one was hurt
2. Autozones policy did not affect this man because he was able to leave unharmed and decided to go back
3. The man knew who the robber was and knew (assumption) he was in no danger if he complies with the robber
4. No, it does not change my mind. You can decide to work somewhere else if you do not like the employers policy.
5. Why single me out? From the poll that was done on this forum a few weeks ago the overwhelming majority of forum members feel it is up to the employer to decide what he allows and doesn't allow
6. I don't give a hoot about the reasons that employers ban weapons. Whether it is naivete, a flase sense that they will have to pay out money in case of a bad shoot, or for philisophical reasons. It is the right of the employer to decide what goes on.
7. And no matter how much I would like to see this man not get fired I really doubt he will have a hard time findiing a job with the publicity.

#15 ·
I suppose the guy could have gone around to the front and waited for the "fake beard bandit" to come out of the store... thereby circumventing the corporate policy... of Zero tolerance "inside the store"

do the right thing cause it's the right thing to do....

That's how I was raised... and apparently this young man as well... good on him... I hope he finds another job soon.

#17 ·
The company policy is obvious risk management at its worst. Give the robber what they want and pray that they don't shoot you, but even if they do it is still cheaper for the store which has undoubtedly covered themselves against any sort of liability if this is how the situation plays out. In their view, YOU TRULY ARE EXPENDABLE!

Edit: I too think I will shop somewhere else.

#19 ·
Well, AutoZone just joined Walgreens as a business that I will no longer frequent. I refuse to spend my money at idiot businesses where they are more interested in their corporate butts than the safety and welfare of their employees and customers!:mad:

#22 ·
"NewsChannel 3 spoke to a representative at AutoZone’s corporate office, and he says that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store."

Perhaps the young man can make use of the fact that AutoZone has created a "hostile work environment" by refusing to allow employees to protect themselves.

#23 ·
It burns me to see companies terminate employees who are only trying to defend themselves or other employees. But the company has the right to make rules that don't make sense. But on a personal note, do you think that I would really give a rip if I got fired after saving my butt or a fellow employee's? I'd rather tell my kids that Daddy needs to find a new job rather than Mommy having to tell them where to set the flowers.

#24 ·
Some in the comments section of the article took the time to post the names of major contacts at AutoZone. I will be emailing as many of them as I can.

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against

Name: William C. Rhodes III
Title: Chief Executive Officer, Management, President, Administration
Email: william.c. rhodes iii@autozone.com

Name: Michael E. Longo
Title: Executive Vice President, Management
Email: michael.e. longo@autozone.com

Name: James A. Shea
Title: Executive Vice President, Management
Email: james.a. shea@autozone.com

Name: Bradley W. Bacon
Title: Executive Vice President, Operations
Email: bradley.w. bacon@autozone.com

Name: Donald Rawlins
Title: Vice President, Management
Email: donald.rawlins@autozone.com

Name: Brett D. Easley
Email: brett.d. easley@autozone.com

Name: Bruce G Clark
Email: bruce.g clark@autozone.com

Name: Harry L. Goldsmith
Email: harry.l. goldsmith@autozone.com

Name: J.R. Hyde III
Title: Member of Board of Directors, Management
Email: j.r..hyde iii@autozone.com

Name: Michael Archbold
Title: Member of Board of Directors, Management
Email: michael.archbold@autozone.com

Name: Randy Turner
Title:
Email: randy.turner@autozone.com
Business Phone: 901-495-6831 Business Fax: 901-495-8307

#25 ·
I think I'm with AZ on this one. Guy's robbed 30 stores, evidently hasn't shot anyone up to this point, and the employee runs out to his vehicle, grabs a gun, and challenges the guy to a shootout.

If a guy comes in my place with a gun, and I get the chance to slip outside, I'm trucking out of there and calling in the LEOs to come do what they do. But go back in where all the victims are and yell, "Drop that gun"? Yeah, I'd have let him go too.

Company paycheck, company rules, company say so. You don't want to play by the rules of the folks who pay you, work elsewhere.

Reactions: EdC
#27 ·
I think I'm with AZ on this one. Guy's robbed 30 stores, evidently hasn't shot anyone up to this point, and the employee runs out to his vehicle, grabs a gun, and challenges the guy to a shootout.

If a guy comes in my place with a gun, and I get the chance to slip outside, I'm trucking out of there and calling in the LEOs to come do what they do. But go back in where all the victims are and yell, "Drop that gun"? Yeah, I'd have let him go too.

Company paycheck, company rules, company say so. You don't want to play by the rules of the folks who pay you, work elsewhere.

^^^^So to clairify bold above^^^^^^^^^^^

in your statement, how are you supposed to know that the guy standing before you with a gun pointed at you, or someone you know/love has done this(robbed) X amount of times, and hasn't shot at anyone yet?

Are you going to follow that same path?
Are you going to interview the thug, and ask him how many times hes done this, and if he's ever shot anyone, prior to making YOUR decision to pull out your forearm and fill him full of lead?

Please clairify.

Reactions: JDE101
#26 ·
"
NewsChannel 3 spoke to a representative at AutoZone’s corporate office, and he says that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.
"

He wasn't fired for defending himself, he was fired because of the zero-tolerance policy against having a gun in the store.

If you look at most laws against discharging a firearm in public/populated areas, there is usually a caveat that it does not apply to or prevent the use of a gun in sittuations where use of force is authorized. Corporations should really adopt some sort of policy similar to that. From the way the AZ rep said it, they probably would have fired him for posessing a gun in the store if he had just taken the robber's gun away from him and held him for police, since he would have a gun in his hand in their store. This is why zero-tolerance policies are so bad. They remove all responsibility and thinking from those responsible and give them an excuse not to take a stand for anything "my hands are tied...".

#33 ·
He said he felt it was his responsibility to to do what he did. Well, not according to his job description I assume.
Does your job description define who you are?

Does your job description dictate your morality?

Is your job description more important than your ability to act?

Will your job description define what is right or what it wrong?

#35 ·
Don't nit pick. I already said I wish the young man well. But by virtue of the emploers policy of no guns at work it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that what the man did went against what his employers expected of him.........

#38 ·
But by virtue of the emploers policy of no guns at work it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that what the man did went against what his employers expected of him.........
You're right of course...but that dont make it right.

When you use a ZERO tolerance policy, you dont look at things in the context of its meaning. You throw out all rational explanation and thought process. This zero tolerance crap is going to be the down fall of this society.

#39 ·
And that is why I gave gasmitty's post a LIKE. Same thing if you have a soldier dis obey orders that are in place for the safety of himself and his team and he breaks the order but saves the team. You don't court martial him....but you have to let folks know that they need to maintain discipline.

And yes, not the best example but I am super tired.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.