Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

This is a discussion on Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I will shop some place else...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I think I will shop some place else

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    The company policy is obvious risk management at its worst. Give the robber what they want and pray that they don't shoot you, but even if they do it is still cheaper for the store which has undoubtedly covered themselves against any sort of liability if this is how the situation plays out. In their view, YOU TRULY ARE EXPENDABLE!

Edit: I too think I will shop somewhere else.
    rigel42 and accessbob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I'll play the other side, AutoZone does not train their employees in self-defense. In their minds, Most of their staff are not as competent as Devin McClean. Think lawyers and liabilities. There are a lot of idiots out there and its a safe bet AutoZone employs a few.
    That's right, and nobody holds a gun to your head and makes you work at AutoZone.

Well, AutoZone just joined Walgreens as a business that I will no longer frequent. I refuse to spend my money at idiot businesses where they are more interested in their corporate butts than the safety and welfare of their employees and customers!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mn01r6 View Post
    Companies like loyalty and initiative that doesn't expose the company to millions of dollars in damages if something goes wrong during your defense of their property. Stay within the bounds of company policy or choose another place to work.

ETA: there have been plenty of worker's compensation payouts when an employee got injured trying to resist a robbery.
    It would be very easy for a company to write a policy that would protect itself from damages while not also requiring that the firing of an employee that does try to prevent a robbery. A company could state that thier policy is non-resistance in the face of robberies and that any other action taken by the employee is thier personal decision and the employee assumes all risk of actions deviating from the policy. It would not prevent a company form getting sued, but there is no protection from getting sued

Could you please name some cases were workers' comp paid for an employee getting injured trying to resist a robbery. I have not heard of any.
    accessbob likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I'll play the other side, AutoZone does not train their employees in self-defense. In their minds, Most of their staff are not as competent as Devin McClean. Think lawyers and liabilities. There are a lot of idiots out there and its a safe bet AutoZone employs a few.
    There is middle ground. Autozone does not have to train thier employees in self-defense. Just as it does not have to fire them for going above and beyond the requirements of the job.
    rigel42 likes this.

"NewsChannel 3 spoke to a representative at AutoZone’s corporate office, and he says that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store."

Perhaps the young man can make use of the fact that AutoZone has created a "hostile work environment" by refusing to allow employees to protect themselves.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

It burns me to see companies terminate employees who are only trying to defend themselves or other employees. But the company has the right to make rules that don't make sense. But on a personal note, do you think that I would really give a rip if I got fired after saving my butt or a fellow employee's? I'd rather tell my kids that Daddy needs to find a new job rather than Mommy having to tell them where to set the flowers.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Some in the comments section of the article took the time to post the names of major contacts at AutoZone. I will be emailing as many of them as I can.

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against

Name: William C. Rhodes III
    Title: Chief Executive Officer, Management, President, Administration
    Email: william.c. rhodes iii@autozone.com

Name: Michael E. Longo
    Title: Executive Vice President, Management
    Email: michael.e. longo@autozone.com

Name: James A. Shea
    Title: Executive Vice President, Management
    Email: james.a. shea@autozone.com

Name: Bradley W. Bacon
    Title: Executive Vice President, Operations
    Email: bradley.w. bacon@autozone.com

Name: Donald Rawlins
    Title: Vice President, Management
    Email: donald.rawlins@autozone.com

Name: Brett D. Easley
    Email: brett.d. easley@autozone.com

Name: Bruce G Clark
    Email: bruce.g clark@autozone.com

Name: Harry L. Goldsmith
    Email: harry.l. goldsmith@autozone.com

Name: J.R. Hyde III
    Title: Member of Board of Directors, Management
    Email: j.r..hyde iii@autozone.com

Name: Michael Archbold
    Title: Member of Board of Directors, Management
    Email: michael.archbold@autozone.com

Name: Randy Turner
    Title:
    Email: randy.turner@autozone.com
    Business Phone: 901-495-6831 Business Fax: 901-495-8307
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think I'm with AZ on this one. Guy's robbed 30 stores, evidently hasn't shot anyone up to this point, and the employee runs out to his vehicle, grabs a gun, and challenges the guy to a shootout.

If a guy comes in my place with a gun, and I get the chance to slip outside, I'm trucking out of there and calling in the LEOs to come do what they do. But go back in where all the victims are and yell, "Drop that gun"? Yeah, I'd have let him go too.

Company paycheck, company rules, company say so. You don't want to play by the rules of the folks who pay you, work elsewhere.
    EdC likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    "
    NewsChannel 3 spoke to a representative at AutoZone’s corporate office, and he says that the company has a zero tolerance policy for employees having weapons inside the store.
    "

He wasn't fired for defending himself, he was fired because of the zero-tolerance policy against having a gun in the store.

If you look at most laws against discharging a firearm in public/populated areas, there is usually a caveat that it does not apply to or prevent the use of a gun in sittuations where use of force is authorized. Corporations should really adopt some sort of policy similar to that. From the way the AZ rep said it, they probably would have fired him for posessing a gun in the store if he had just taken the robber's gun away from him and held him for police, since he would have a gun in his hand in their store. This is why zero-tolerance policies are so bad. They remove all responsibility and thinking from those responsible and give them an excuse not to take a stand for anything "my hands are tied...".
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think I'm with AZ on this one. Guy's robbed 30 stores, evidently hasn't shot anyone up to this point, and the employee runs out to his vehicle, grabs a gun, and challenges the guy to a shootout.

If a guy comes in my place with a gun, and I get the chance to slip outside, I'm trucking out of there and calling in the LEOs to come do what they do. But go back in where all the victims are and yell, "Drop that gun"? Yeah, I'd have let him go too.

Company paycheck, company rules, company say so. You don't want to play by the rules of the folks who pay you, work elsewhere.

^^^^So to clairify bold above^^^^^^^^^^^

in your statement, how are you supposed to know that the guy standing before you with a gun pointed at you, or someone you know/love has done this(robbed) X amount of times, and hasn't shot at anyone yet?

Are you going to follow that same path?
    Are you going to interview the thug, and ask him how many times hes done this, and if he's ever shot anyone, prior to making YOUR decision to pull out your forearm and fill him full of lead?

Please clairify.
    JDE101 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Just waitin' for Suntzu on this one.

These companies blow.

Like Pistology stated in post #7

It's heavy-handed and dimwitted risk management. Like general gun bans and prohibitions, the facts don't bear out the fears.

Just the facts Ma'm.
    The corporations don't want to hear the facts, it gums up the agenda.
    That to be sucessful in CORPORATE AMERIKA, one has to get along, to go along.
    Welcome to the NWO.

Sent them an e mail.

Heres what I sent;

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against “Fake Beard Bandit”

Your corporate policy is pathetic, as is all companies with these idiotic policies of no weapons.
    The fear of lawsuits and huge liabilities is a misconception, which can not be proven to be correct.
    It is an unfounded fear, which is not bourne out of facts.
    Go ahead and cite me one time you have been sued, or had to pay out a substantial amount of money.
    AutoZone Contact Us Confirmation
    Sorry, did a 18 mile run today but hope you didn't wait all this time to hear my rply

Okee dokee.
    1. Of course I am glad no one was hurt
    2. Autozones policy did not affect this man because he was able to leave unharmed and decided to go back
    3. The man knew who the robber was and knew (assumption) he was in no danger if he complies with the robber
    4. No, it does not change my mind. You can decide to work somewhere else if you do not like the employers policy.
    5. Why single me out? From the poll that was done on this forum a few weeks ago the overwhelming majority of forum members feel it is up to the employer to decide what he allows and doesn't allow
    6. I don't give a hoot about the reasons that employers ban weapons. Whether it is naivete, a flase sense that they will have to pay out money in case of a bad shoot, or for philisophical reasons. It is the right of the employer to decide what goes on.
    7. And no matter how much I would like to see this man not get fired I really doubt he will have a hard time findiing a job with the publicity.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^So to clairify bold above^^^^^^^^^^^

in your statement, how are you supposed to know that the guy standing before you with a gun pointed at you, or someone you know/love has done this(robbed) X amount of times, and hasn't shot at anyone yet?

Are you going to follow that same path?
    Are you going to interview the thug, and ask him how many times hes done this, and if he's ever shot anyone, prior to making YOUR decision to pull out your forearm and fill him full of lead?

Please clairify.
    Think I mentioned this already but the employee knew who the robber was and if that is so I would imagine that he knew he would be OK

Point is moot, he LEFT the building, he was no longer in danger. He said he felt it was his responsibility to to do what he did. Well, not according to his job description I assume.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Sorry, did a 18 mile run today but hope you didn't wait all this time to hear my rply

Okee dokee.
    1. Of course I am glad no one was hurt
    2. Autozones policy did not affect this man because he was able to leave unharmed and decided to go back
    3. The man knew who the robber was and knew (assumption) he was in no danger if he complies with the robber
    4. No, it does not change my mind. You can decide to work somewhere else if you do not like the employers policy.
    5. Why single me out? From the poll that was done on this forum a few weeks ago the overwhelming majority of forum members feel it is up to the employer to decide what he allows and doesn't allow
    6. I don't give a hoot about the reasons that employers ban weapons. Whether it is naivete, a flase sense that they will have to pay out money in case of a bad shoot, or for philisophical reasons. It is the right of the employer to decide what goes on.
    7. And no matter how much I would like to see this man not get fired I really doubt he will have a hard time findiing a job with the publicity.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad you had a great run.
    I don't wanna run 18 feet if I don't have to!

#5.
    You typically have aa very PRO employer stance on these issues, thats all.

Nothing much meant by it.

PS,
    I must have missed in the article that said they knew the robber.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Links