Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime - Page 3

Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

This is a discussion on Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oneshot ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Glad you had a great run. I don't wanna run 18 feet if I don't have to! #5. You typically ...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Glad you had a great run.
    I don't wanna run 18 feet if I don't have to!

#5.
    You typically have aa very PRO employer stance on these issues, thats all.

Nothing much meant by it.

PS,
    I must have missed in the article that said they knew the robber.
    That was the key for me for this scenario. Hey, I wish the young man well. I won't change my stance on it...and like I have said numerous times-I think owners should allow storage in their vehicles.
    oneshot likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I used to shop at auto zone, but no more. The guy deserved a commendation, not losing his job. They might not miss my patronage but if enough people would stop shopping there it might make a difference.
    jackson85746 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    He said he felt it was his responsibility to to do what he did. Well, not according to his job description I assume.
    Does your job description define who you are?

Does your job description dictate your morality?

Is your job description more important than your ability to act?

Will your job description define what is right or what it wrong?
    sensei2 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I'll play the other side, AutoZone does not train their employees in self-defense. In their minds, Most of their staff are not as competent as Devin McClean. Think lawyers and liabilities. There are a lot of idiots out there and its a safe bet AutoZone employs a few.
    Go ahead and play the other side... but does the incident warrant firing the "errant" employee? Maybe you don't publicly commend the guy, but you don't deprive him of his livelihood and food on the table, either. There's a host of employer actions short of dismissal that could have been taken; written warning, probation, "conflict resolution" training, and lots more. But no, they took the chicken-excrement way out and fired him. Leadership failure in my book.

If I'm AutoZone's VP of HR, I'd put this guy on paid suspension for a week. But I'd give him a round-trip ticket to company HQ and have a sit-down with him and the head of Loss Prevention, and explain clearly what we expect of employees and what we don't. Then I'd take him out to the best restaurant in town, buy him a great dinner, and send him home to contemplate his future as an employee with AutoZone. His "homework" would be to call me back at the end of the suspension and let me know if he wants to continue with AZ or not. Psychological counseling on the company would be provided for a month whether he stays with the company or not. And all those actions come at a total expense that's a tiny fraction of what the company would have paid in legal fees or a settlement for a dead employee killed on the job.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Does your job description define who you are?

Does your job description dictate your morality?

Is your job description more important than your ability to act?

Will your job description define what is right or what it wrong?
    Don't nit pick. I already said I wish the young man well. But by virtue of the emploers policy of no guns at work it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that what the man did went against what his employers expected of him.........
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

no way.. screw Autozone. Not going there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Go ahead and play the other side... but does the incident warrant firing the "errant" employee? Maybe you don't publicly commend the guy, but you don't deprive him of his livelihood and food on the table, either. There's a host of employer actions short of dismissal that could have been taken; written warning, probation, "conflict resolution" training, and lots more. But no, they took the chicken-excrement way out and fired him. Leadership failure in my book.

If I'm AutoZone's VP of HR, I'd put this guy on paid suspension for a week. But I'd give him a round-trip ticket to company HQ and have a sit-down with him and the head of Loss Prevention, and explain clearly what we expect of employees and what we don't. Then I'd take him out to the best restaurant in town, buy him a great dinner, and send him home to contemplate his future as an employee with AutoZone. His "homework" would be to call me back at the end of the suspension and let me know if he wants to continue with AZ or not. Psychological counseling on the company would be provided for a month whether he stays with the company or not. And all those actions come at a total expense that's a tiny fraction of what the company would have paid in legal fees or a settlement for a dead employee killed on the job.
    He should have said he was on his 10 minute break when he went to get his gun and therfore not on the clock

Senior Moderator
    But by virtue of the emploers policy of no guns at work it does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that what the man did went against what his employers expected of him.........
    You're right of course...but that dont make it right.

When you use a ZERO tolerance policy, you dont look at things in the context of its meaning. You throw out all rational explanation and thought process. This zero tolerance crap is going to be the down fall of this society.
    oneshot and phreddy like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You're right of course...but that dont make it right.

When you use a ZERO tolerance policy, you dont look at things in the context of its meaning. You throw out all rational explanation and thought process. This zero tolerance crap is going to be the down fall of this society.
    And that is why I gave gasmitty's post a LIKE. Same thing if you have a soldier dis obey orders that are in place for the safety of himself and his team and he breaks the order but saves the team. You don't court martial him....but you have to let folks know that they need to maintain discipline.

And yes, not the best example but I am super tired.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar

I'd have to go with the written warning. Corporations are amoral organizations whose sole reason for being is to create profits. Admittedly it would be good mentoring but I really can't see it as cost effective to fly him around with a free meal thrown in. That sends a mixed message and only educates one employee. A better fix would be to set up a new training regimen for all the stores that covers this same information. That would ensure that the information actually gets to the people who need it. As much as I detest and disdain their corporate policy, it is their business and it is much cheaper to just fire him and hire another drone worker.

I wonder who did the firing; hopefully not the manager who had already expressed his gratitude.

To a large corporation, employees are a replaceable asset. You won't find this written on any company letterhead, but its how the college educated executives think. If an employee is murdered on the job, thats a tradgedy. Thats sad. They will send some flowers to somebodys doorstep. A week later they hire a replacement.
    If an employee were to exercise their right to self preservation in a situation like this, thats a liability. That word will make a corporate brainwashed risk management fanatic pucker their anus so hard it will go inverted.

A murdered employee is a cheap loss to a corporate bean counter. An employee defending themselves exposes the company to liability in a lawsuit (profit losses), which is also sad that the world is like that but thats how it goes.
    So to protect the profits, they write the policies, and keep the shareholders satisfied.

VIP Member

Autozone employee fired after stopping armed robbery

I did not see this posted anywhere if it is please delete it.

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against

I guess this is another case of doing the right thing is not doing the right thing.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Already running: click.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; December 1st, 2012 at 03:03 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think it's safe to say he'll be inundated with job offers pretty soon.
    Tatfreak likes this.

VIP Member

AutoZone is a corporate maze. I publicly commend the guy, and it would be nice if AutoZone would stand up for us decent folk, but don't expect AZ to do so. And I wouldn't limit psych counseling to a month, but, after watching the vid, it seems that corporate wonks are more in need of it than our hero who has "no regrets".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links