Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

14K views 194 replies 63 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
#154 ·
If you read what I posted, you would see that I didn't call anybody a coward. You would also see that I didn't say that anybody called him one, either. I stated that this man is NOT a coward. He didn't just run out to save his own life and leave his manager to possibly be killed, as others have suggested that he should've done. I didn't call anyone anything; any assumptions made to the contrary are just assumptions.

Read what I wrote. I write my opinions in plain english, not with anything written between the lines.

#157 ·
Thunder71 said:
No, you only see what happened... what you don't see is the potential for things to go horribly wrong.

It worked, this time... and he's lucky.
Compliance did not work for the store clerk 2 towns away the night before this indecent. He got killed anyway. The robber took the money the clerk handed over and then killed him. Good thing Devin chased away his robber.

Thunder71 said:
What if he had come in with his gun, causing the robber to shoot the manager in the head (escalating the situation) and the robber escaped?
Doubt it. The robber is human too. He does not want to die either which is why he has a gun for protection. He would know that by shooting the manager, Devin would have shot him and killed him. If anything he might have pointed his gun at Devin and there would have been a stand off. Now the robber would actually have to hit Devin and kill him but what if he wounds him. Devin will fire back. The robber does not want to be shot. I doubt he would have pulled the trigger taking the chance he would be capped. Most criminals are not like the ones you see on TV in made up shows. Most are cowards and will run from an armed civilian. Just as this one did.

Thunder71 said:
What if the 'robber' ended up being a friend of the manager and was playing a bad prank and the employee shot him?
I repeat. This is the second time the fake beard robber had held up this store. This was Devin's second encounter with him. Clearly he knew this was not a joke. And besides any idiot who dresses up like a criminal to play a "joke" on their friend deserves to get their butt shot by an employee defending their boss and friend.

Thunder71 said:
What if an investigation shows the the manager was involved in the plot and taking a cut in the 'robberies'?
This is just too ridiculous to even comment on. Do you know anything about this story? The fake beard bandit has been running loose in Virginia for almost a year and has hit over 60 locations. But you want to suggest that the AutoZone manager is in cahoots with him. Uh huh.

Thunder71 said:
Way too many 'what ifs' to risk my life for, and possibly leave my family behind because I'm dead or in prison.
Your choice to let fear rule your life and decision making because that's all it is. Fear. The police in his town are calling him a hero for his actions.

Thunder71 said:
This isn't war,
No one is calling it war. It's one human being defending another human being. Yet people see that action as wrong. I have to wonder about those types of people.

Thunder71 said:
and I am not an officer of the law - neither was this person
He was a civilian doing his civic duty and safeguarding a person when there was no officer of the law present. This is actually Constitutionally legal. You should read the US Constitution.

Thunder71 said:
what he did may or may not be completely legal where he lives,
It's legal. You should Google search the laws before commenting and what if'ing.

Thunder71 said:
but it doesn't mean it was within the policies the store had set on private property.
What it means is Devin values human life over store policy. His training in dealing with bad guys comes from his time serving in the Air Force. If we can trust him to go to war and kill the enemy then we should be able to trust that he can handle a situation in a store with only one armed criminal.

Thunder71 said:
In the end, firing one person is a lot less expensive and less to deal with than opening up the rats nest of what could follow if it's allowed to break policy 'just this once'.
Apparently you are missing the rat's nest AutoZone is sitting in right now with thousands of people boycotting their stores and sending e-mails to the corporate office and making phone calls and leaving comments on AutoZone's public pages. Just think of all the lost revenue AutoZone will experience and during one of the busiest times of the year in the retail industry. A court case would probably be cheaper than the revenue they will lose to all the boycotts and there is more than just the one on Facebook. Insurance does not cover the lost revenue in this case. There is also a boycott in Canada. Apparently you have no idea how far reaching this is and how much it will end up costing AutoZone, including putting a stigma on what was once a good name in the auto parts industry. They made a hero the criminal. This is what the majority of the people see. AutoZone bigwigs shot themselves in the foot on this one.

#165 ·
Apparently you are missing the rat's nest AutoZone is sitting in right now with thousands of people boycotting their stores and sending e-mails to the corporate office and making phone calls and leaving comments on AutoZone's public pages. Just think of all the lost revenue AutoZone will experience and during one of the busiest times of the year in the retail industry. A court case would probably be cheaper than the revenue they will lose to all the boycotts and there is more than just the one on Facebook. Insurance does not cover the lost revenue in this case. There is also a boycott in Canada. Apparently you have no idea how far reaching this is and how much it will end up costing AutoZone, including putting a stigma on what was once a good name in the auto parts industry. They made a hero the criminal. This is what the majority of the people see. AutoZone bigwigs shot themselves in the foot on this one.
I don't know where your AZs are, but the only people at the ones here are the usual customers. Do you really think that many people care about AZ's policies other than warrenties and returns? No one here does. I seriously doubt the AZ bean counters will see the slightest hiccup in company profits over this.

Reactions: Civil_Response
#164 ·
I think this situation has alot to do with maturity. Certainly everyone is going to act different, we are different. I agree that sometimes you must be a good witness and that is something I try to teach. However I am sure there are times I would not do the same thing twice if I thought about it. Courage is about character and it coming out at a spontaneous time. Many times if we thought to much we would not and may not even have that time to think. This is not rising to the occasion but reverting to the training. His back Ground and character came out. I will trade a job for a life everyday. I know the economy is tough but jobs are plentiful and can be replaced. I can not bring people back from the dead.

Reactions: 65108
#167 ·
Just like everyone won't watch the NFL until they fire Costas... right, I get it. What will happen is they won't shop there until they are the only ones who have the part they need/want. Perhaps postponing is a better word... they may be shopping across the street now, but it'll wear off quick when they need something and Autozone is the only place that has it.

Look, I'm not against what he did and I'm not glad he got fired... but there's another side to it, and not everyone would handle it the same way. Heck, I don't even know if I'd handle it how I say I would having time to think about it and write/edit my thoughts.

He possibly saved his manager's life, who is also a friend apparently... no lives lost, that's a win.

#168 ·
Do you have Facebook? I think their page is public anyway so you should be able to see it even if you don't have a Facebook account. Thousands of comments are taking up all of AZ's postings with irate American's slamming them. Maybe you just need to see it to get the full impact. AZ is not going to get off easy. Click on the small square comment icon for right side of any AZ post to see the comments being left. https://m.facebook.com/autozone?id=163478290365055&_rdr Add to this the comments on the boycott pages and the thousands of comments left on them and you begin to realize the impact this story has made on people who believe in the right to protect and defend. An idea our country was built on.

#170 ·
Just ran past two Autozones (I swear there is one on every block in San Antonio!).....doing fine it looks like to me. Plenty of cars in their parking lots. Their stock has fallen slightly but that is becuase of financial news....not a boycott.

Boycots are great and a great way of protesting but sadly they lead to nowhere in the end.

#171 ·
Boycots are great and a great way of protesting but sadly they lead to nowhere in the end.
Not true. Many boycotts have led to change. One example, Walmart use to support gays and gay rights. They no longer support gays because the religious groups boycotted their stores. Walmart caved and removed themselves and their money from the gay rights issue.

This is still mostly an east coast story. Give it time for the shock wave to really travel. Devin is still doing interviews. He did the Greta Van Susteren interview last night and I'm setting up a radio interview for him now with Eagle 97.3.

Update. He will be in NY this weekend and will appear on the CBS This Morning show.

#182 ·
I have a feeling she was referring to both of us, which is fine. That doesn't bother me. I'm simply trying to get her to understand that her extremely fierce defense of her nephew on this forum is not a healthy thing. I still feel there's more to it. There's something in her psyche that causes her to not be able to accept dissenting opinions.

#181 ·
Colleen, maybe I missed it but do you carry?

Own a gun?

Do you understand the emotional trauma he would have been faced with every day if he had pulled the trigger, right or wrong?

I'm not really sure what your motive here is anymore.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

#184 ·
Colleen, maybe I missed it but do you carry?
No, I have no need to carry.

Own a gun?
Yes a shot gun for home protection should I ever need it.

Do you understand the emotional trauma he would have been faced with every day if he had pulled the trigger, right or wrong?
This is really for Devin to understand and he does. He was up to it. As an enlisted man, he was ready to kill to protect his country. The same goes for this incident. He was ready to kill to protect his manager and friend. I would do the same in his situation and I would live with the knowledge that the bad guy lost so the good could live.

I'm not really sure what your motive here is anymore.
I have no motive. Only a suspicious person would think I have a motive. I stopped in to read the comments. I disagreed with some and voiced my own thoughts and opinions. Suspicious people have gone after my character because they do not trust me. That's understandable, it's a human trait some carry. I was even accused of pretending to be Devin's aunt in a PM. No wonder these suspicious people feel the need to carry. Trust no one huh? I will leave if it makes you feel more comfortable. Like I said, I just stopped in yesterday to read the comments. Found this site on the internet under the topics about Devin. I saw some comments I took offense to for Devin's sake and thought I'd share my knowledge on him and the type of man he is and that he is better than the man that was being painted here. People keep replying to me so I come back to answer their questions or comments. I'm gracious like that. I do not just ignore a person when they speak to me. If you all are done, I will leave you to your forum and the safety of your friends. It's all good.

#185 ·
Woooow !!!! Why are people here sound like antigunist ?? Arent we on the same team ? This employee acted as a real caring abiding citizen, he deffended a besiness establishment from any loss that he doesnt even own, protected lives he doesnt know, and without killing anyone..... How great is that !!!.... I blame autozone for there action on this matter, its so wrong that a blind man can see this, bad guys are using our laws against us and some of us seem to support it... Not saying you are, just looks that way. Face it this guys a hero and thats the bottom line PERIOD.

#186 ·
See the thing is I've taken training, I've also completed the required course to be able to carry, so for you to tell me my opinion on how I'd handle the situation is wrong or question why I carry, irritates me.

I never said what he did was wrong, I just wouldn't do the same, again, based on my training and knowledge of the laws in my state.

That's part of what we do here, discuss these events, examine them from different views, sometimes we learn something new or at least gain another perspective.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

#188 ·
See the thing is I've taken training, I've also completed the required course to be able to carry, so for you to tell me my opinion on how I'd handle the situation is wrong or question why I carry, irritates me.
Who are you talking to? If me, please remind me where I told you how you would handle the situation is wrong? I only remember you telling everyone how Devin handled the situation was wrong because of the multiple what ifs you carry around in your head that would keep you from doing anything but complying in a robbery.

That's part of what we do here, discuss these events, examine them from different views, sometimes we learn something new or at least gain another perspective.
Uh huh and from what I can tell, you only agree when the person is agreeing with you. Great education :smile:

#189 ·
OK, since I wasn't clear in my previous post, I'll spell it out for you. I have a degree in psychology, specifically, behavioral psychology. Do you??? No? Didn't think so.

So...when I say that your behavior here is not healthy, I actually know what I'm taking about. Look, I know you have trouble reconciling the fact that someone who disagrees with your behavior may actually want to help you, but such is the case here. If you can go back and read all of your posts and honestly say that you don't see any hostility, then you are being blinded by your loyalty to your nephew, or something else that you refuse to accept. Regardless of the cause, I was simply trying to point this out to you. However, you have to be willing to see it, which you obviously are not.

You actually don't have to look any farther than your previous post to see what I'm talking about:

"Why should I even have to tell you this? I think you're being condescending with me now. Did you miss out on being someone's daddy in life? All my words come from my heart. I'm a straight forward speaker. I hide nothing because I have nothing to hide. To intentionally elude that I am a liar by using the words, "At least that would be an honest answer" clearly states that you believe that I have done nothing but lie here. This shows the type of person you are. Suspicious, quick to judge without knowing, aggressive in your interrogation of an outsider, need for control over the newbie, yes, you have issues. Most phych majors do. That's why they take up the study. You are the type of person I defend my nephew from. Maybe you can now understand why. Don't worry yourself so much. Your discussion forum(discussion only meant for long time members apparently, not new members) is safe from the big bad aunt, lol

I do believe it is suntzu's turn to come at me next. You two seem to be tag teaming. How cute. Comrades in arms.
"

No hostility there? Really? I can only wish you well at this point, and hope against hope that you will some day recognize your situation, and begin to work on it. In the meantime, the fact that some people here don't fully agree with your nephew's actions will not change, and your actions here aren't doing him any favors.

#190 ·
OK, since I wasn't clear in my previous post, I'll spell it out for you. I have a degree in psychology, specifically, behavioral psychology
Apparently I was not clear either. So??? This means nothing to me. You learned from books that lump people together and teach a one size fits all diagnosis. I have a better education. It's called life and knowing people as individuals, not drones in a beehive. I do not have faith or belief in psychologists, sorry. I do not believe they do anyone any favors. People can help themselves better than a psychologist can.

So...when I say that your behavior here is not healthy, I actually know what I'm taking about.
No, you merely believe you know what you're talking about. Here's an old trick. Look in the mirror and read back everything you say to me.

Look, I know you have trouble reconciling the fact that someone who disagrees with your behavior may actually want to help you
Why are you attacking my character and trying to play doctor with me on an internet forum? I believe this falls under the guidelines of harassment and defamation of character. I caution you to stop over stepping your boundaries. I need no help, especially not from a stranger on the internet.

If you can go back and read all of your posts and honestly say that you don't see any hostility, then you are being blinded by your loyalty to your nephew
I see me protecting myself and my nephew from self important people who's ego's speak louder than their common sense and who attack people's characters without even knowing them because they have deemed themselves the professionals. Life is a profession. We are all professionals. Get over yourselves and you know which members I mean.

You actually don't have to look any farher than your previous post to see what I'm talking about
You were being condescending and patronizing. I did not need to take that. I stand up for myself. You push people because you think you have the right because you believe yourself to be some kind of healer. Well you aren't and never will be until you heal yourself. This is why you immerse yourself into other people and fantasize that they have issues when in reality, all you've done is transfer your own issues onto them so you can attempt to fix them there by find away to fix yourself. I've read your books too :smile:

No hostility there? Really?
Nope. Only the hostility you've imagined in your overly suspicious mind. I hope you find a way to help yourself. I am not that way however. Keep your doctoring and imagined diagnosis's away from me. I'm off limits to you Doc Wannabe.

What I find strange is why you find it so bizarre that an aunt would disagree with people who posted that her nephew did the wrong thing or acted wrong or was not..... blah, blah, blah. Do you have a close relationship with your family? Have you ever had to defend any of them because you felt people were completely wrong in their assessment of them? I came here and saw my nephew being assessed wrongly and analyzed wrongly and I spoke out and you find this strange behavior and unhealthy behavior. Doc, I have to say, your analysis of me defending my nephew from strangers who do not know him, is nuts.

#194 ·
Apparently I was not clear either. So??? This means nothing to me. You learned from books that lump people together and teach a one size fits all diagnosis. I have a better education. It's called life and knowing people as individuals, not drones in a beehive. I do not have faith or belief in psychologists, sorry. I do not believe they do anyone any favors. People can help themselves better than a psychologist can.

No, you merely believe you know what you're talking about. Here's an old trick. Look in the mirror and read back everything you say to me.

Why are you attacking my character and trying to play doctor with me on an internet forum? I believe this falls under the guidelines of harassment and defamation of character. I caution you to stop over stepping your boundaries. I need no help, especially not from a stranger on the internet.

I see me protecting myself and my nephew from self important people who's ego's speak louder than their common sense and who attack people's characters without even knowing them because they have deemed themselves the professionals. Life is a profession. We are all professionals. Get over yourselves and you know which members I mean.

You were being condescending and patronizing. I did not need to take that. I stand up for myself. You push people because you think you have the right because you believe yourself to be some kind of healer. Well you aren't and never will be until you heal yourself. This is why you immerse yourself into other people and fantasize that they have issues when in reality, all you've done is transfer your own issues onto them so you can attempt to fix them there by find away to fix yourself. I've read your books too :smile:

Nope. Only the hostility you've imagined in your overly suspicious mind. I hope you find a way to help yourself. I am not that way however. Keep your doctoring and imagined diagnosis's away from me. I'm off limits to you Doc Wannabe.

What I find strange is why you find it so bizarre that an aunt would disagree with people who posted that her nephew did the wrong thing or acted wrong or was not..... blah, blah, blah. Do you have a close relationship with your family? Have you ever had to defend any of them because you felt people were completely wrong in their assessment of them? I came here and saw my nephew being assessed wrongly and analyzed wrongly and I spoke out and you find this strange behavior and unhealthy behavior. Doc, I have to say, your analysis of me defending my nephew from strangers who do not know him, is nuts.
Wow. You really don't get it. You just refuse to get it. Oh, well. Have a good life. I'm out.

#191 ·
I cant even imagine how you guys would attack the aunt of the bad guy if your this harsh with coreen !! According to you guys both individuals played bad guys here..... Listen to yourselves. If your mom was at a store and a bad g came in all crazy with a gun your going to be thankfull for someone as this simaritan to be there at your mothers aid.... Yea, you guys would be talking differant i know... I didnt mean to use your mom as an example but sometimes its what it takes to make people understand... Im sorry.... Eddie.

#193 ·
See that little 'edit post' button?

I for one am not 'against' Colleen, and I'm not 'against' her nephew, at all... If I conveyed my opinion otherwise it was not my intent.

I'll just sincerely wish you (Colleen) and your family well and exit this discussion simply because I think it's derailed to the point it's not even about what happened anymore.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.