Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

This is a discussion on Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Autozone is a private business and has a no firearms rules can be on their property by their employees. Autozone pay them to work there.. ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

Autozone is a private business and has a no firearms rules can be on their property by their employees. Autozone pay them to work there.. Just like Walmart.
    I don't get where is the outrage here when no one can carry a friearm into Federal, State or County Court House? We as tax payers own thoes building Or a Military Base. Where is the outrage in that?

I will still buy and won't Boycott- Autozone, Pizzahut, Dairy Queen, McDonalds, Carls Jr.,Dollar General, Arbies, Burger King, Karogedrs, Walgreen, Wallmart, Ford Motors, General Motors, and everywhere else that has incidence like this every month..

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.UirmwEnT5mo

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nti06 View Post
    To a large corporation, employees are a replaceable asset. You won't find this written on any company letterhead, but its how the college educated executives think. If an employee is murdered on the job, thats a tradgedy. Thats sad. They will send some flowers to somebodys doorstep. A week later they hire a replacement.
    If an employee were to exercise their right to self preservation in a situation like this, thats a liability. That word will make a corporate brainwashed risk management fanatic pucker their anus so hard it will go inverted.

A murdered employee is a cheap loss to a corporate bean counter. An employee defending themselves exposes the company to liability in a lawsuit (profit losses), which is also sad that the world is like that but thats how it goes.
    So to protect the profits, they write the policies, and keep the shareholders satisfied.
    Baloney, most business's are not owned by corporations and the individual employer decdes if guns are allowed or not. If you want to rant about big corporations that is fine but don't lose focus that this is policy at all levels of ownership.

And it still does not matter what their reasons are and if you agree with them. It is their money, their business, their property. Go work or purchase items elsewhere.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

GH
    I'll cross another store off of my list. Since it's corporate policy I won't be shopping there for car parts.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^So to clairify bold above^^^^^^^^^^^

in your statement, how are you supposed to know that the guy standing before you with a gun pointed at you, or someone you know/love has done this(robbed) X amount of times, and hasn't shot at anyone yet?

Are you going to follow that same path?
    Are you going to interview the thug, and ask him how many times hes done this, and if he's ever shot anyone, prior to making YOUR decision to pull out your forearm and fill him full of lead?

Please clairify.
    Like I stated--If a guy comes in my place with a gun, and I get the chance to slip outside, I'm trucking out of there and calling in the LEOs to come do what they do. But go back in where all the victims are and yell, "Drop that gun"? Yeah, I'd have let him go too.

The employee is not an LEO and this is a classic example of the time to "be a good witness and call 911" rather than to further endanger fellow employees by challenging the BG. You want to challenge him? Wait until he leaves the store and then the two of you can have your shootout at the OK Corral outside.

The employee is very lucky that the BG opted to drop the gun versus to take out everyone possible.
    EdC and Paymeister like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mn01r6 View Post
    Companies like loyalty and initiative that doesn't expose the company to millions of dollars in damages if something goes wrong during your defense of their property. Stay within the bounds of company policy or choose another place to work.

ETA: there have been plenty of worker's compensation payouts when an employee got injured trying to resist a robbery.
    I could see potential liability if the employee complies with company policy. "I had opportunity to disarm/subdue the robber, but I did not do so because I would lose my job. After I gave robber the money, the robber shot me in the neck and left. Employer policy put me at risk."

Would such a case work? Dunno. But requiring one to put his or her life in the hands of a criminal seems a foreseeable risk.

(Mind you, it's been a long time since my general torts.... :) )

(By the way, I understand Autozone's policy....I'm just saying it's not a shield against liability from some aggrieved party, that's all. There's usually no good outcome in cases like these.)

VIP Member
    Oops sorry please move or delete
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nti06 View Post
    To a large corporation, employees are a replaceable asset. (snip).
    I agree with your position, even though some others don't. This also has a lot to do with why, in general, I take the positions I do in regards to supporting an individual's rights to carry over another individual or organizations right to ban.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

I could imaging how these policies get written. I've been in enough board meetings (not on the scale of AutoZone) to understand how they work. Imaging you are on in one of these meetings. Some idiot says they need a gun ban, followed by an crazy hypothetical story about a customer attempting to return merchandise and getting blown away by the sales rep. You giggle under your breath and mention a gun ban is a waste of resources and not needed. It doesn't work and others start debating, your wasting time. Your job has nothing to do with guns or bans you have to get YOUR job done and didn't have enough time or resources before this asinine gun thing was mentioned. What do you do? You give in and move on.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The prime directive of any company is to protect the company's physical and financial assets; any employee from the CEO to the floor sweeper is easily replaceable. The Human Resources Department contributes to that goal by preventing employees from doing anything that could damage those assets. Just a fact of business.

I would rather be fired than take a chance on being murdered; but in this case, having safely left the scene, I would not go back inside (unless of course someone I loved was in there too).

StarPD45
    Interesting that they don't have the stores posted for customers, at least in our area.

I can't say I'm surprised by this. Disappointed, but not surprised. They won't be getting any more business from me, and I'll tell them so, and why.

They've lost my business.

I think the problems and other things are:

A: a company has the right to set policy for conduct of employee's, and said employee's must adhere to those rules.

It doesn't make it good to work for a company that has zero tolerance on guns, but it's their right.

B: This guy knew the rules but chose to violate them, even if it is percieved to be a stupid one, he still did so.

I work for a County Elected official and can't have any weapons on me while I work and occasionally come across not-so-nice people.

C: Termination may not be the best thing to do, but this Company decided that was the route to go.

People who do not like the Company's rules, regulations, stance or how they deal with employee's also have the right to boycott the store, and voice their opinons as to said rules.

Hopefully this guy will get or find another job, at a place that places value upon their workers and have better stance on firearms at the workplace.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    I could imaging how these policies get written. I've been in enough board meetings (not on the scale of AutoZone) to understand how they work. Imaging you are on in one of these meetings. Some idiot says they need a gun ban, followed by an crazy hypothetical story about a customer attempting to return merchandise and getting blown away by the sales rep. You giggle under your breath and mention a gun ban is a waste of resources and not needed. It doesn't work and others start debating, your wasting time. Your job has nothing to do with guns or bans you have to get YOUR job done and didn't have enough time or resources before this asinine gun thing was mentioned. What do you do? You give in and move on.
    You take your best shot during discussion, the chair puts the question, and you vote against the ban. That's not "giving in". It's just working with the system.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links