Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

This is a discussion on Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I sent the following email through their "comments" page: Sir, Madam: I am a shadetree mechanic who maintains my family's three automobiles. Over the past ...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

I sent the following email through their "comments" page:

Sir, Madam:

I am a shadetree mechanic who maintains my family's three automobiles. Over the past several years I have bought many parts from AutoZone, amounting to thousands of dollars spent.

I have been apprised of an incident which took place at one of your stores in which a robbery was averted by an employee with a firearm. I understand that this employee has been fired due to this being against your corporate "no guns" policy.

I believe this corporate policy is very short sighted and in this case is penalizing a loyal employee who successfully thwarted a crime against your business.

I completely understand and accept your right to set corporate policy as you see fit, and I accept this particular policy, though fail to see how it is helpful in any way. AutoZone's policy of simply complying and giving criminals what they want is absolutely no guarantee of a peaceful outcome. A criminal is just as likely to injure or kill his/her victim whether said victim is compliant or not.

AutoZone must now accept my right to take my business elsewhere, which is what I have decided to do. I know I am not alone in this decision, as I belong to a very large online forum, and word has spread regarding your acts in this case, and your corporate policy. You will be losing quite a bit of business as a result. In addition, I will be spreading the word to all my friends and family members regarding your policy, which will result in more lost business.

In short, the legal possession of a firearm by responsible individuals is in no way a liability to your company. However, if an employee is injured or killed by a criminal because (s)he was not able to defend themselves as a result of obeying your "no guns" policy it will result in serious liability issues. In any event, as I have said, you have lost my business and that of many, many others. If you change your policy I may consider coming back. The ball is now in your court.

Most Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXXX
    sensei2, Pistology and JDE101 like this.

2. Remove Ads

I sent an email to AutoZone through their "comments" page. I copied and pasted it into the thread under the "Good Bad and Ugly" sub-forum.

Merged threads.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Good thing for me Advance is a whole 300 yards north of Rob me Zone. I might not be able to take the pressure.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

As admirable as it was, companies like Autozone put the two big L's in front of everything else....lawyers and liability. It's hard to say this without sounding like I'm supporting Autozone, but its just not as simple as we'd like it to be. Does it suck and make the good citizen out to be the bad guy? Of course. But that's just the way it is with big business.

I'm sure this guy will land on his feet, though. The upside to the crazy digital info-on-demand world we live in is that somebody who empathizes with the guy and can help him will do so.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I sent the following email through their "comments" page:

Sir, Madam:

I am a shadetree mechanic who maintains my family's three automobiles. Over the past several years I have bought many parts from AutoZone, amounting to thousands of dollars spent.

I have been apprised of an incident which took place at one of your stores in which a robbery was averted by an employee with a firearm. I understand that this employee has been fired due to this being against your corporate "no guns" policy.

I believe this corporate policy is very short sighted and in this case is penalizing a loyal employee who successfully thwarted a crime against your business.

I completely understand and accept your right to set corporate policy as you see fit, and I accept this particular policy, though fail to see how it is helpful in any way. AutoZone's policy of simply complying and giving criminals what they want is absolutely no guarantee of a peaceful outcome. A criminal is just as likely to injure or kill his/her victim whether said victim is compliant or not.

AutoZone must now accept my right to take my business elsewhere, which is what I have decided to do. I know I am not alone in this decision, as I belong to a very large online forum, and word has spread regarding your acts in this case, and your corporate policy. You will be losing quite a bit of business as a result. In addition, I will be spreading the word to all my friends and family members regarding your policy, which will result in more lost business.

In short, the legal possession of a firearm by responsible individuals is in no way a liability to your company. However, if an employee is injured or killed by a criminal because (s)he was not able to defend themselves as a result of obeying your "no guns" policy it will result in serious liability issues. In any event, as I have said, you have lost my business and that of many, many others. If you change your policy I may consider coming back. The ball is now in your court.

Most Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXXXX
    I respect your point of view but the first part I bolded is simply not true. The vast majority of robberies are incident free (injury or death) if the employee is compliant and the corporations know this.

The other bold parts are not exactly true either. If an employer allows firearms on their premises by employess they can be laible for injuries by ND's. When I say liable they certainly can be sued which in turn costs money.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I respect your point of view but the first part I bolded is simply not true. The vast majority of robberies are incident free (injury or death) if the employee is compliant and the corporations know this.

The other bold parts are not exactly true either. If an employer allows firearms on their premises by employess they can be laible for injuries by ND's. When I say liable they certainly can be sued which in turn costs money.
    It is true that I didn't check my facts against all available statistics. I can honestly say, however, that I was not intentional deceitful. At least I took the time to let them know why I wouldn't be patronizing their business any longer. How many of you have done the same? Remember, the only thing that evil needs to succeed is for good men to do nothing (paraphrase). I am not characterizing AutoZone as evil. I am simply saying that we should all (or at least those who believe AZ's policy is morally wrong, as I do) stop doing business with them, and let them know why. To restate the last sentence of my email, but putting the onus on us: The ball is now in our court. What are we going to do with it? I have done my part. Who's next?

Well I try to give the local business what ever it is my money before a big company...
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Once again, why don't we boycott employers that don't allow carry? We can boycott Autozone, Walmart, Pizza Hut, Costco, Best Buy, and numerous other places. Imagine if we hit them where it hurts and we get them to allow their employees to bring their firearms to work.

Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime

Why do so few people understand that corporations have *one* job, and that is profit. Responsible gun owners like this one, while doing the right thing, jeopardize profits. Take away corporate personhood as step one and make CEO's and board members personally liable for their business's actions and maybe this stupid stuff will change. I work for a publicly-traded corp that employs a third of a million people and our policies do the same thing: protect the bottom line. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Toorop View Post
    Once again, why don't we boycott employers that don't allow carry?
    We (the royal "we") do. We don't go to places that don't want us (the royal "us") there. I guess one could call that a boycott. Voting with the wallet, while pressing for sane/rational legislation: works better all around.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Think I mentioned this already but the employee knew who the robber was and if that is so I would imagine that he knew he would be OK
    The employee didn't KNOW who the robber was.

'I was in fear of my life as soon as he walked through the door and I see the gun. Your heart just starts pounding,' says Devin McClean, a former Auto Zone employee.

Devin McClean decided to take action after recognizing the Fake Beard Bandit.
    As in, "Hey! That's the Fake-Beard Bandit!". Not, "Hey! That's my sister's boyfriend's brother! What's he doin' robbin my store? Crazy guy...".

He didn't know that he would be ok, by his own admission he was in fear of his life.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The employee didn't KNOW who the robber was.

As in, "Hey! That's the Fake-Beard Bandit!". Not, "Hey! That's my sister's boyfriend's brother! What's he doin' robbin my store? Crazy guy...".

He didn't know that he would be ok, by his own admission he was in fear of his life.
    That was what I meant...duh.......He knew that it was the Faked-Beard Bandit and most likely knew he would not harm anyone if they complied. Anyway, as stated before, he was able to get out of the building where the BG was no threat to him.

If he was in fear for his life he negted the SD issue by going back in.

It does not matter to me either way....employers have the right to determine the rules. If you don;t like don't work for them. If YOU don't like then boycott them It is such a simple concept.

And, like I just said in another thread...just because something works in A SPECIFIC situation does not mean that a change of policy or law should be made.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    We (the royal "we") do. We don't go to places that don't want us (the royal "us") there. I guess one could call that a boycott. Voting with the wallet, while pressing for sane/rational legislation: works better all around.
    Many do go to these places.

I mean we should start boycotting stores that don't allow employees to carry. For example I used to work at McDonalds in college and they would not allow us to carry firearms for self defense. I also worked for AT&T and they did not allow us to carry firearms at work. Why don't we have people boycott these companies? The same with Walmart, Best Buy, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, and other places that do not allow their employees to keep firearms for self defense on their persons.

These stores and there policies are so bass akwards that I was going into a Wal Mart a couple of weeks ago and a guy was running towards me and the exit door holding a big box that had stereo speakers. He was being quickly chased by four Wal Mart employees who were just 10-15 feet behind him who were trying to talk the guy into stopping.
    They followed the guy all the way to his car, watched him start it up and then drive off. WOW!!!
    Others that were watching this with me all had the same idea, if its that easy to steal at WalMart then why wait in the checkout line........

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links