Distinctions needed please.................... - Page 2

Distinctions needed please....................

This is a discussion on Distinctions needed please.................... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; HeHeHe!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Originally Posted by nedrgr21 While the overall dimensions are the same, the grip should be smaller in the GAP - purpose of the cartridge. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Distinctions needed please....................

VIP Member
    HeHeHe!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    While the overall dimensions are the same, the grip should be smaller in the GAP - purpose of the cartridge.
    +

^^^^^^^^This is it^^^^^^^^^^

I believe so people with smaller hands could shoot the .45 caliber
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Just my 2 cents worth: I have always felt that the "problem" they developed the .45 GAP for was already answered by the .40 S&W.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Basically the .45GAP was the answer the the question no one ask, or cared about.
    As I always say, "Don't fix it if it ain't broke"!

my guess is that Glock (the company), wanted a propriety round with their name on it, to go along with .40Smith&Wesson, .45AutomaticColtPistol, and .357SIG.

you will notice that some companies (like Glock), refuse to put another company's "name" on their guns, by referring to their so-chambered guns as .40Auto, or .357Auto. IMO, just petty.

a couple of LEA's did adopt the round, but as others have said, it looks slated for an early death. even if Glock continues to make such guns, ammo will always be hard to find.

as an early convert to .357SIG, i always knew that the round might not make it commercially, in which case i would buy a .40 barrel, which i did anyway, and shoot .40S&W.

no such choice exists for .45GAP buyers. once the ammo companies stop production of GAP ammunition, their only option is reloading their own. so save your GAP brass!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    OK, I admit I haven't checked Glock's website, which will probably answer this, but don't the Short Frame versions accomplish the same thing while still using the .45 ACP (and other well established cartridges)?
    Excellent questions, the answer is no. The circumference of a double-stack .45 ACP will always be larger than the circumference of a double-stack .45 G.A.P., as the diameters of the two cartridges is the same, but the .45 G.A.P. cartridge is shorter than the .45 ACP cartridge, so the circumference of the .45 G.A.P. double-stack pistol will be less than the circumference of the .45 ACP double-stack pistol. The Glock Model 30 SF still uses the full-length .45 ACP cartridge, so the difference between the larger-circumference Glock Model 30 (not SF) and the 30 SF is Glock shaved 3mm off of the back of the grip. The limiter in both the 30 and the 30SF is the circumference of the .45 ACP magazine inside the pistol's grip.

The general principle in operation here is that the circumfrence of the pistol's grip is limited by the circumfrence of the magazine that fits inside the pistol's grip. The pistol's grip will always be larger than the circumference of the magazine that fits inside the pistol's grip.

So a single-stack .45 ACP magazine has a smaller circumference than a double stack .45 ACP magazine. Thus a double-stack .45 ACP pistol can have a smaller-circumference grip than a double-stack .45 ACP pistol. The pistol manufacturer can decide to make the circumference of the grip of a single-stack .45 ACP pistol larger than the circumference of the grip of a double-stack .45 ACP pistol. But the circumference of the magazine inside the pistol is always the limiting factor.

To make the 30SF Glock simply took some extra plastic material off of the back of the grip. The magazines are the same for the 30 and the 30SF, so the magazine was not the limiting factor. In a nutshell, the G30SF has a factory grip-reduction.

To make a pistol with a smaller circumference grip than the 30SF one either has to go to a single-stack magazine or one has to go to a smaller cartridge (either a shorter cartridge or a smaller-diameter cartridge, or a cartridge that has both a shorter length and a smaller-diameter.

The .45 G.A.P. has a shorter length than the .45 ACP, and has the same diameter. So one cam make a .45 G.A.P. double-stack pistol with a smaller circumference than a .45 ACP double-stack pistol. Similarly, one can make .45 G.A.P. single-stack pistol with a smaller circumference than a .45 ACP single-stack pistol. This was Glock's goal in collaborating in the development of the .45 G.A.P. cartridge; to make it possible for people with small hands to shoot either double-stack .45 pistols or single-stack .45 pistols that shoot the same bullets as the .45 ACP pistols, at the same velocity as bullets shot from .45 ACP pistols.

The other way to get pistols with smaller grip circumferences than those using a .45 ACP cartridge is to use a different cartridge that has a shorter overall length, or a smaller diameter, or has both a shorter overall length and a smaller diameter. Using these smaller cartridge one can make single-stack or double-stack pistols with smaller grip circumferences than one can make pistols using the .45 G.A.P. or the .45 ACP cartridge. The 9mm Parabellum cartridge comes immediately to mind.

Why Glock has not made a single-stack 9mm pistol I do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I am running on the assumption that the grip frame of, say the G30SF is approximately the same size as say a G38. Is this correct?
    I believe the answer is again no, but I don't have a G38 to measure against my 30SF. Theoretically, a single-stack .45 G.A.P. pistol should have a smaller circumference grip than a single-stack .45 ACP pistol.

The .45 G.A.P. was invented to run .45 caliber bullets in a GLOCK frame more closely sized (in grip diameter) with the universally police-issued G17 & G22. It worked, but few departments & shooters wanted it to begin with. Even FEWER want it now!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links