It ''shouts gun''!!

This is a discussion on It ''shouts gun''!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Old Chief is right. I can spot a LE or good CCW'er by the awareness of surrounding, more than clothing worn. Same way I pick ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It ''shouts gun''!!

Lead Moderator
    Old Chief is right. I can spot a LE or good CCW'er by the awareness of surrounding, more than clothing worn. Same way I pick out potential thieves, they tend to look around more than shop.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Speaking as someone who this time last year was just beginning to investigate concealed carry, I can say that before I began trying to figure out how to conceal a weapon I never paid attention to how people dressed. I know people who wear vests, fanny packs, untucked oversized shirts, etc and until I actually started trying to decide how to conceal I never thought about why they wore them. I have always had pretty good situational awareness and carried other types of non-firearm weapons at various times, but the fact that a vest, fanny pack, etc might be concealing a firearm never entered my mind.

I never was a sheep, but these items did not shout at me.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

This vest might give you away.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

pappy said:
    ...of course we got our hick trucks w/lifts too usally covered with mud most of the year, even when the ground is frozen, dont ask me how they do that.
    It's my theory that they never wash them!

I Used To Think...

that vests and fanny packs screamed 'gun'.
    Some good points have been made here...most people aren't really looking. Those who would put 2+2=4 together...are other CCW'ers...who cares?

Just having the weapon puts me in a cautious state...I have only viewed a few other potential CCW'ers...and it is the dress and observant demeanor that really gives a better picture.

I have worn my 5.11 vest of a few ocassions, weather permitting, and once in a while...a fanny pack. Usually, I just like my IWB strong or sob.

Stay alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Shoot, I make a phanny pack look good.

Mine is the only thing I carry with.

I don't care if people figure I'm packing or not. I've never been asked if I was or was not. It's America, concealed carry is legal!
    Last edited by crankinNM; October 9th, 2006 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by falkon View Post
    I like vests. but a murse is out. (man Purse)
    Murse, that is good.

My wife calls my murse my "man bag".

My CZ-75 Compack 9mm is easy access and I also keep my wallet, cell phone, and other needed stuff for the day in the front compartment........Course like I said before I make a phanny pack look good.

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar
    I wear a vest a lot, but it's got a couple of fishin' lures stuck to it. Down here (FL Gulf coast) that's kinda normal. The other option is a tee-shirt with a big, really, really LOUD Hawaian shirt that I've been told just shouts A$$ho(& !!!
    It also helps if you mumble a lot to yourself. This helps keep them distracted.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

Assistant Administrator
    It also helps if you mumble a lot to yourself. This helps keep them distracted.
    Great idea

At my advanced age that would be easy to pull off - eccentric ole phart attitude - love it

Bud - don't say anything - or you Swifty!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Any of you use the Sig vest with the velcro pocket on both sides for your gun?

If I didn't wear a vest, my pants would fall down from the weight of all the stuff in the pockets. I would have to start wearing Cargo Pants just for the extra room.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Any of you use the Sig vest with the velcro pocket on both sides for your gun?
    I would think the Velcro would be loud and slow to open. I have never tried it but that's just what I think it would be like.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I've been carrying concealed for the last 17 and 3/4 years.

I agree that at least 95% of the people out there don't notice anything.

I wear a vest often and I use a fanny pack when I'm on my boat. I've never had anyone notice or say anything about it.
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-2 Graduate X2
    Firearms Academy of Seattle FAS-4 Graduate X2

My 5.11 vest was the greatest diaper bag a guy could ever have. I carried diapers, wipes, a bottle, cheerios, toys, keys, cell phone, gloves, and underneath wore a 1911 and spare mags. The really cool part was the other dads in the restroom being jealous because my "diaper bag" was fully concealed as a vest with no pink flowers or baby blue vinyl bags that scream "BABY!"

The baby screamed instead.

The only people that know to look for that are carring a gun themselves, the rest are more concerned about wearing white after labor day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links