It ''shouts gun''!! - Page 3

It ''shouts gun''!!

This is a discussion on It ''shouts gun''!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just go to any shopping mall, I would bet you would not see one person in a hundred that is aware of anything going on ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It ''shouts gun''!!

Just go to any shopping mall, I would bet you would not see one person in a hundred that is aware of anything going on around them. Out here in Oregon there are mainly loggers and farmer types, I guess I don't have to tell you there are no fanny or manny packs.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I use a vest or fanny pack lots of times. In fact, I use a vest most of the time. No one gives me a second look. I've even stood and talked to two local police officers once when I had a fender bender. Had a fanny pack on and they never even looked at it as far as I could tell. They probably did notice, but certainly did so very briefly if at all.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I often wear a Columbia Titanium vest even when I'm using a shoulder holster under my shirt. I just like it. It's the older version of this one... same color, but two flap pockets up top instead of one and a zipper:

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Weather permitting I wear one of my Columbia Titanium vests. I have four different colors. If its cooler I'll wear a fleece vest. Occasionally I'll use one of my several fanny packs. Sometimes I just pocket carry since I always have one of my P3ATs (.380) with me either as a bug or primary. When I'm riding my bicycle (something that I do frequently & long distance for fun or exercise) I carry in my handlebar bag, I glued a neoprene can sleeve in it which keeps it upright and available. When I stop for a break or food, I'll transfer my gun to a fanny pack if I leave my bike.

I have yet to find a holster/rig/combo that is comfortable around my waist, except for my "SmartCarry" holster for my P99 or PPK/S. A few times I've used "Fobus" paddle holsters but they just don't seem to work right so far. Even with a vest they seem to "print" too much.

For years I've used vests, fanny packs, napsacks for everything but CCW. Only until I've been reading on this and other gun forums did I even consider any of these modes to "Scream Gun." Never even crossed my mind before. I doubt that it crosses the mind of anyone but other CCWs, LEO or security officers.
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

I think I mentioned this before on some thread or other but when I went to get my photo for a PA CCW, I saw no less than six guys in vests.

At first I thought, "cool, a well armed group". Then it dawned on me that since I was in a camera shop, these guys were most likely photographers.

What screamed "GUN" to me screamed "PHOTOGRAPHER" to everyone else.

We notice the vests because we are gun people. Everyone else is oblivious.

By the way, I have several of the Alexander vests. They are a little more dressy (sp?) and a extremely light.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    [QUOTE=SixBravo;209883]I try to make every person I pass, mostly depending on how they walk (if right arm swings a little wide, etc). I've only made one person for sure, but I always assume a fanny pack is a firearm. QUOTE]

Yep, the "cop walk" is a dead giveaway. Also the "protector" attitude, which I liken to the "1000 yard stare" that is said to characterize Vietnam vets. How we carry ourselves usually wards off BGs. I myself try to appear Condition White when I am out, so that I'm not "made." In the past I have had undue attention from store personnel that either thought I was casing the joint or shoplifting, because I was looking around so much.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    My contention is, simply, that those who may think ''I wonder'' when they see garment devices we use, are most probably nearly always fellow CCW's or cops.
    I agree completely. If they see your fanny pack and suspect a concealed weapon then they are probably the type would would notice that slight bulge under your shirt and suspect a weapon also. And they can never be absolutely sure, because there are plenty of folks out there who wear fanny packs and/or vests but DON'T carrry.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Yep, the "cop walk" is a dead giveaway. Also the "protector" attitude, which I liken to the "1000 yard stare" that is said to characterize Vietnam vets. How we carry ourselves usually wards off BGs.
    Before I got my permit I got "panned" or checked out by some very questionable types while pushing my wife around in her wheelchair. I always went for the "look" in these situations and apparently the potential perps didn't like what they saw. Being ex-military I always called it the DI look. Strong, aware, unafraid and yeah buddy I see you too. The old head down, don't look 'em in the eye always seemed to scream "sheep" and "victim" to me. Without realising it so much at that point I was also dressed in such a way someone might just have wondered if I was carrying as well. Now, well, let 'em wonder if they know what to look for. As long as they stay away!

I still try not to stand out though, when possible but if the "look" or attitude gives it away then what can you do?

What would be fun is to imagine a CCW convention hitting town. Everyone wearing hawaian shirts, vests, fanny packs, attitudes and trying for the "right" booths in all the resteraunts!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    In the past I have had undue attention from store personnel that either thought I was casing the joint or shoplifting, because I was looking around so much.
    I have noticed this too.

In my area, vest aren't that common, so I follow the style here which is the layered look. Untucked button down shirt over a stylish t-shirt, no problems. I did see a father at a soccer game last night in a vest and to me it screamed gun. When he bent over to set up his folding chair the tell-tell bulge at 5 o-clock under his vest screamed gun. I then noticed that "I" was the only one that appeared to notice... LOL. I was happy to know I wasn't the only prepared parent at this park after dark!
    Last edited by dbracin; October 10th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.

Most people don't see guns even when they are openly worn.

However, as far as I'm concerned fanny packs and vests both yell "dork" more than anything else.

(no offense to the fanny pack and vest wearing crowd).

Assistant Administrator
    What would be fun is to imagine a CCW convention hitting town. Everyone wearing hawaian shirts, vests, fanny packs, attitudes and trying for the "right" booths in all the restaurants!
    Eric - my mind is overloaded with the hilarity of imagining that

"Hey man - that corner booth/seat is mine''!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zund - when ya get to my age - vest = Dork is no biggie
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Double-Naught-Spy is exactly right.
    The vest makes a Jim-Dandy diaper bag!
    I'm a nurse and worked home health care for a few years; taking care of the young who were out on a field trip, the vest was the perfect way to carry all the Miscellaneous and Sundry that was needed!
    Of course since I'm no longer in Home Health Care, the vest isn't used as a diaper bag nowadays.
    Wore it to Wal-Mart earlier today, as a matter of fact; they just opened a new one, and instead of the old snack counter with coffee, cola and Nacho Cheese Chips, they now have a dandy deli, so I had popcorn chicken and tater tots instead (erp!)
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Wear a blue vest in WalMart and it will scream "EMPLOYEE" and people will stop you to ask where the Pace Picante sauce is located, or to help locate a price on an umarked item.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Eric - my mind is overloaded with the hilarity of imagining that

"Hey man - that corner booth/seat is mine''!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zund - when ya get to my age - vest = Dork is no biggie

P95-Ummmm, the S.H.O.T. show IS coming to my town next......

Zund- Not only age but location makes the dork! If you were to land in the middle of a bunch of long distance sailors in a third world port in your fasionable best you might wonder why everyone was laughing around you! My favorite is a sailors wedding. We went formal one time. Tux printed T-shirts, cutoffs, barefoot, fanny packs and deck knives. Different groups, different fashons!

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links