It ''shouts gun''!!

This is a discussion on It ''shouts gun''!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Took GF, now Fiance, to the Great Smokies this past weekend. Cool and nice "fall" weather. Had two men ask if I was "fishing." One ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: It ''shouts gun''!!

Took GF, now Fiance, to the Great Smokies this past weekend. Cool and nice "fall" weather. Had two men ask if I was "fishing." One knew the answer before he asked it, ex militay helicopter pilot who, I think, was carrying himself. The other appeared to be an avid flyfisherman, he had no clue. No one else even looked at my vest.

2. Remove Ads

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I spent 33 years dealing with Crooks, Sheeple and others. It has been my experience that Crooks and Sheeple in no way associate buttpacks and Vest with Concealed Carry. You might find one in a million who does, but it is probably a shooter or cop who has gone over to the "Dark Side".

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Wear a blue vest in WalMart and it will scream "EMPLOYEE" and people will stop you to ask where the Pace Picante sauce is located, or to help locate a price on an umarked item.
    I've been asked the same thing in Wal-Marts & Lowes.......& the vests aren't blue, usually tan or olive drab.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I visited Las Vegas last week for a telecom conference and while out strolling I noticed a man wearing the vest, a fanny pack, AND white socks with sandals.... I had to say Hello to this guy. He smiled and said something in German that I didn't understand..

I walked away thinking of this site, and particularly the original poster...

VIP Member
    Just to show how little attention people do pay, I have been asked questions at various businesses no matter how I dress. I have actually been asked a question in Lowe's while I was asking a guy in a vest with a Lowe's name tag a question. I have been stopped while dressed nicely and while in jeans and a tee shirt. I was asked a question in a Target the only time I have ever been in one and I was dressed in jeans and a polo and wearing a baseball cap. I've asked my wife why she thinks this happens and she said that I look like I know what I'm doing.

Maybe that's it, the fact that I look around and am observant indicates to these people that I know what's what so they ask. It does indicate that most people don't have a clue.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I wear a vest every day, with cowboy boots and a cowboy hat. If I'm riding a bike, then it's a helmet. The only thing the sheep ever ask me is "where's your horse?"

It's about 50 degrees here, with possibility of snow overnight--perfect vest weather for us Minnesotans. I went with the pullover v-neck microfiber, kind of a golfer look. It did a nice job of covering the Glock 26, which was nested in it's Milt Sparks Watch Six holster.

While out shopping this afternoon I saw numerous people wearing vests, and in my head, never once heard a scream of "gun!"

If you are hearing "gun!" screamed in your head when you see someone wearing a vest, you need to see someone in a white jacket...

Jeez Louise: Now What?

While poking around the forum trying to resolve my weeks-long struggle to avoid buying a dozen holsters (as much as I would like to, Finance Committee be darned) for my P239, I came across a post referencing Tucker Gunleather here: http://www.tuckergunleather.com/. What I found there put me in mind of P95Carry's post entitled It "shouts gun"!!. Click on the Tucker link, look at the menu on the left side, go to the top to the link entitled NEW Tucker Gunleather Blog-HOT, click on that, read the first two sections then go here: http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/...leb.htm#page1. Am I to understand from this that we are all transparent to LEO's and BG's? If so, what to do?? What do you do?
    Last edited by LTPhoon; October 10th, 2006 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Meant for this to stand alone..sorry

Quote Originally Posted by kastiron View Post
    I visited Las Vegas last week for a telecom conference and while out strolling I noticed a man wearing the vest, a fanny pack, AND white socks with sandals.... I had to say Hello to this guy. He smiled and said something in German that I didn't understand..

I walked away thinking of this site, and particularly the original poster...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ROTFLMAO...
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Without thinking, I once wore a red polo shirt to Target. Won't do that again...

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Wear a blue vest in WalMart and it will scream "EMPLOYEE" and people will stop you to ask where the Pace Picante sauce is located, or to help locate a price on an umarked item.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I just skip the entire debate about what "shouts gun" and what doesn't. I just open carry about 85% of the time.

Solves the problem quite well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Odds are, nobody will notice your vest or fanny pack. Most don't notice an open carried handgun.

However, there are people on the other side that take notice of such things. Inmates are known to discuss such things, along with practicing disarms and such while they are inside.

One of the Al Qaida manuals recovered a few years back specifically mentioned vests and fanny packs as indicators of armed individuals.

I have a vest and have never worn it. It simply doesn't offer me any advantage. My style of dress has allowed me to conceal every handgun I have ever tried to carry. But if I put a vest on, it would look out of place. MAYBE people would think I was a photographer.

Anyway, determine who you are really trying to conceal your weapon from. Regular citizens aren't looking for guns on people when they go out, but some people are.

I live outside a small rural town in NE MO. Close to a major lake. I open carry up there, and sometimes use my 5.11 vest which passes for a fishing vest which is perfectly acceptable up here. I work in a town with 3 colleges, in fact I work at one of them. I use a Maxipediton jumbo pack, which allows me to blend in with 80% of the population.

I am of the opinion stated earlier in the thread, 95% of the sheep walk around in a fog of their own making. I have carried some rigs that printed very badly and never been called.

I'm a big fan of the short sleeved Columbia Fishing shirt, untucked as an overshirt. Here in Central Fla. it fits right in.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I think it depends on the area & what, socially, people are thinking. I live in S. Cal & I've been asked numerous times if I was a cop while carrying a fannypack. I don't carry a fannypack anymore. OTH, I've pocket carried or IWB with my shirt untucked, & no one asks me or looks at me funny (Other than usual, anyways).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links