It ''shouts gun''!!

It ''shouts gun''!!

This is a discussion on It ''shouts gun''!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We have two camps I think - those who feel vests, fanny packs etc ''shout gun'' and avoid them, and those who do not worry ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Assistant Administrator

It ''shouts gun''!!

We have two camps I think - those who feel vests, fanny packs etc ''shout gun'' and avoid them, and those who do not worry about it I am in the latter category.

Admittedly I am not out and about a whole lot but if biking do not feel my vest too ''odd' - in fact today with the last flush of beautiful fall weather, took wife into town on bike and used a long short-sleeve shirt for a change. From now on anyways, a thicker long shirt will take care of all winter needs.

My contention is, simply, that those who may think ''I wonder'' when they see garment devices we use, are most probably nearly always fellow CCW's or cops. Taking that a stage further, if the concealment is A1 100%, the ''I wonder'' remains just that - a ''maybe/maybe not''.

I know it was a year plus riding out with some new friends and seeing them socially, before they ever realized I carry 16/7 - since the wife decided to go the carry route of course I ''spilled the beans'' and assisted her with training etc - they were amazed.

Your average Joe Blow (aka sheep) is most unlikely to even notice To flaunt the famous phrase of ours - ''concealed is concealed'' (for me, by whatever means). Just my own 2c, of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Assistant Administrator

A real ''no-no'' for CCW

Portable music!!!!

Sight is for most of us our best friend with awareness but hearing has to be a close second. In town on bike with wife not long ago - saw a young guy starting to cross road - he barely looked my way and was obviously in a dream! I had to take mild evasive action. My pipes are plenty ''fruity'' enough and so had he not been insulated from the outside world could not have failed to hear me, even if not seen.

I doubt very much anyone here is walking around with 'walkman'' type deals but - sure reminded me that not only does an individual become isolated from ambient sound input when using these things but - can also have concentration (and so even visual awareness) impaired.

Another good way I'll bet to show that invisible ''I am a potential victim'' sign too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I know a couple of people that wear vests year round. None of them are carrying firearms. One of the guys is a freelance jeweler, the other, well I don't know about him. He's just plumb strange.

I tried the vest thing, just wasn't me. Fanny packs were never me. Don't even like the idea of case/purse carry, so I guess I am regulated to the UOD (Uniform Of the Day for those non-mil guys and gals ) of print shirts and T-shirts.

Chris,I have been carrying since 95 and totaly believe 95% of the people(sheep) walk around in their own little world with no idea of what is going around them.When I first started carrying,I worried about been made,but ater a couple of weeks quit worrying about it.Once in a while I'll use my fanny pack and the only ones I see looking at me a little closer are other carryers I believe.sj

I have worn a vest, a fanny pack, a Safepacker and an unbuttoned shirt to carry. No one has ever given me a second look. On the other hand, everytime I see someone wearing something like that or even a oversized t-shirt or golf shirt, I pay special attention to them. So I am on both sides. Those things shout gun to those in the know and don't to the vast majority of people.

Besides, I have never seen any story where a BG targeted someone because they were wearing a vest, fanny pack, etc.

To those who know what they are seeing several types of dress suggest certain things to us. I have however, seen the little old lady types that in all likelyhood were not packing with the shorts and fanny pack. There was no caution when they opened the fanny pack to pay for a purchase. OTH I have seen many people wearing an open vest who seemed to be condition white and oblivious to the world around them. IMHO there seems to be an air about someone who is packing that is evident to another packer. Just my thought on the subject.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

I use vests during colder weather and fanny packs when it make since based on the environment. Either of these solutions don't work for me most of the time. The only carry way that always works for me is pocket carry!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I have to agree with Chris. I'm not one to wear all that jazziness, but if I did I don't think I would care about being made. I try to make every person I pass, mostly depending on how they walk (if right arm swings a little wide, etc). I've only made one person for sure, but I always assume a fanny pack is a firearm.

Edit:
    I also have to agree very strongly with Old Chief's assessment about other carriers. There is definitely something we possess or give off that readily identifiable to each another carrier. I don't recall who it was, but someone mentioend the other day about walking into a store and making eye contact with the only other person who seemed to be out of condition white. They gave each other a "knowing nod."
    Last edited by SixBravo; October 9th, 2006 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Old Chief
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I've always discounted that "...vest shouts gun..." mantra.

Living in a cooler climate, Minnesota, vests are never out of place when it's cool, be it summer evening (rarely cool!) or spring and fall. They offer a nice alternative to jacket/coat yet offer the warmth we need when it's 45-55 degrees or so. Even in winter vests are seen, worn under coats to add a layer and then keep the chill away even when indoors--it gets very cold here and keeping the chill off the body is a winter-long serious mission!

For just the past week I've been wearing my Cabela's Safari Vest, you know the multi-pocketed vest that looks much like a 5.11 product. It is anything but out-of-place in the Midwest during pheasant, duck and other seasons. It has an "outdoorsy" look, which we kinda go for here; maybe you have to live here to know what I mean, our cars often have canoes on the roof during summer, it's the "look"!

Edited to Add "Cabela's Safari Vest" Picture: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...vest&noImage=0

Women tend to wear quilted or fleece vests this time of year; I noticed a number of them when grocery shopping with my wife yesterday.

In Minnesota we wear vests. They don't shout gun here, unless of course you're hearing "those voices" again...
    Last edited by JimmyC4; October 10th, 2006 at 10:24 AM.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Vest shouts gun ?? No way. You take 100 people (cross reference of America) and simply ask, "What is the first thing that you think of if you see someone(male and female) wearing a vest."

What percent would say,"GUN!!" ?? Not 10% IMO.

You vest wearers(incl. me some of the time) go forth with confidence. Nobody sees you,nobody cares.

To think otherwise......well(??)...... you just could be gettin' a little paranoid. --------

I've carried with a vest for two summers now. The vest I wear has all the pockets on the inside. I carry just about everywhere and during my observations, everybody seems to be in their own little world and not even paying attention anybody around them, much less somebody that just might be carrying a firearm

I carry a snubby in my pocket or car all the time. I don't really care if anyone notices it. I have a permit and I'm not breaking the law. As long as I don't wave it around like a mental case who cares what anyone thinks ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC View Post
    I've always discounted that "...vest shouts gun..." mantra.

Living in a cooler climate, Minnesota, vests are never out of place.

It is anything but out-of-place in the Midwest during pheasant, duck and other seasons. It has an "outdoorsy" look, which we kinda go for here; maybe you have to live here to know what I mean, our cars often have canoes on the roof during summer, it's the "look"!

HAHA, so true, and of course we got our hick trucks w/lifts too usally covered with mud most of the year, even when the ground is frozen, dont ask me how they do that.

Deal or no Deal....wait that's on TV.

I like vests. but a murse is out. (man Purse)
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I think alot depends on the "dress code" of the area you're in. In my area hawaiian shirts and fanny packs are common as all get out. 99% have nothing to do with concealment. Vests are almost unheard of. So they would make you stand out a bit.

I try to blend in when I can despite the fact that most are clueless. I'll take anything I can to stay under the radar!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links