What gun did you take the CHL course with?

This is a discussion on What gun did you take the CHL course with? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Iowa the class requires no live fire. So nobody takes any....

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What gun did you take the CHL course with?

In Iowa the class requires no live fire. So nobody takes any.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    Beretta 92sf stainless. It was the only gun I had at the time.

XD-40 because I shoot it well and it's 100% reliable. I wanted to use a semiauto in Texas to qualify so I could carry both semi's and wheelguns. I still carry it in an MTAC Minotaur about 30% of the time.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I took my first CHL proficiency with my Dan Wesson 1911.

Why, it was the only semi auto I had at the time. I still have it, but rarely carry it because it takes too much to maintain when carried on a daily basis down here in Texas.

When I did the qualification for CHL instructor, I used my Taurus 24/7 Pro DS and my SP101. Still have both and still carry both on occasion.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

S&W 1911TA Enhanced, best grouping in our class of 50. This gun just about shoots itself, wish it was easier to carry concealed.

I used my XD9 Subcompact and my husband used his XDM Compact 45. Waiting on our permits to get here. Got a few more weeks left.

Our instructor furnished .22 semi's if we wanted to use them. That's what I did. In OK, if you use a revolver, that's all you're allowed to carry. If you use a semi, you can carry what you want.
    We don't have to show proficiency, only safe gun handling.
    We fired 5 rounds from an "arms out front" position and 5 rounds from a "draw & fire" position. If we could do that without hitting a "classmate" or the instructor, we passed.:)

Colt 1991 A-1 full size .45 Auto. At the time it was my only decent firearm. Well, I could have taken it with my Grendel P-10 But loading single rounds through the top would have been a pain, as it only holds 10 and OK law requires you to fire 50. No accuracy requirement though. Still have both, Grendel is strictly a pillow gun. Never a carry weapon, I'd have nightmares of someone else trying to unload it.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Beretta 92. Why? My dad lives in another state so a friend let me borrow his Beretta.

My EDC weapon is a Glock 26. Still getting used to it. Already planning to buy a backup which most likely will be a beretta 9mm as well.

World War I era Colt 1911.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    I used a Sig P228 to take the course. I no longer have it. I prefer Glock for carry now.

The same gun a I carry, Springfield XD 9mm service model
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    G17 and G 19 Didn't like the G19. If I wanted a full size 9 mm for OC I would consider the G17.

Though I took my first CHL course and range test with Gs, I have different preferences. YMMV.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by nightsonge View Post
    Colt 1991 A-1 full size .45 Auto. At the time it was my only decent firearm. Well, I could have taken it with my Grendel P-10 But loading single rounds through the top would have been a pain, as it only holds 10 and OK law requires you to fire 50. No accuracy requirement though. Still have both, Grendel is strictly a pillow gun. Never a carry weapon, I'd have nightmares of someone else trying to unload it.

Wow, Did we have to shoot 50 rds? It's been almost a year since I did it, I must've forgotten how many we actually fired.:)

G22.
    Why? Because I am very accurate with it, just like everyone else who shoots Glock. Yes I still have it, I open carry it on occasion because its a tad big for CC

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links