Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)!

This is a discussion on Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Best to ya! Hope this turns out as good as it can for ya!...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)!

Best to ya! Hope this turns out as good as it can for ya!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

I wish you the best of luck tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Orthodoc View Post
    Being an orthopedic surgeon, I can tell you that you would have probably had this anyway (as you said it is extremely common as we age) but your shooting certainly could have exacerbated your symptoms. Treatment is activity modification (quit doing what lights it up), anti inflammatories, a steroid shot or a carpometacarpal arthroplasty (surgery where you excise the affected bone and do a reconstruction with a tendon). and yes, getting old does suck
    Much thanks for your information! If you don't mind, I may PM you for more info - though I won't turn you into my doc, I promise.

Maybe you could operate via the internet and do a "digital" carpometacarpal arthroplasty. No pain for me, and a nice insurance check for you (sent electronically of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    Best of luck to you! Your previous post got me thinking about one of the guns I have being a bad fit for my hand. May have to give that one to one of my sons.
    Maybe gloves would be enough - and you do have to have arthritis to begin with as "Orthoc" wrote. But be careful. Helps to check hand position on and off while shooting. I never did that.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Since you ask for good luck wishes, you might not believe in the power of prayer...

I' ll pray anyway... And still wish you good luck, too.
    No, I do believe in prayer, but the Infinite works thru human beings too, and I thank you for that very soothing thought: your prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsHB View Post
    That's good advice for anyone, especially for those of us with small hands!

This article on gun fit illustrates the problem - check out the section called "Too Large" with a photo that shows how this problem causes the thumb to absorb the recoil: Trying On a Handgun | Cornered Cat

As for getting older - I know what you mean... but it's still better than the alternative!

Good luck with your surgery!

That's a terrific article and the photos really help to check your potential gun's position BEFORE you buy it. Everyone should read.

(By the way, I don't know I'm getting surgery just yet. Just going to the surgeon for further info and to get his read of the MRI they took, along with his recommendations. They already did the X-Rays and an initial exam - which hurts like hell. I imagine they would wait, try other things first, and then part of he decision is up to the patient, i.e. sense of pain, interference with activities important to him etc.)

Thanks all for kind words and good wishes. I'll let you know how this develops.

detective, I know just what you're going through. I had the surgery on my left hand about 4 years ago, it took a loooong time to heal but seems to be as good as new and I use it hard. The 26th of this month I've gotta go back to the VA to get the right one done. My carry weapon is a 3" barrel .45 and I haven't been able to practice lately, the pain is incredible and its constant now. Good luck with yours, I hope it comes out as good as my left one did.

cars

Good luck with the surgery, I had my left hand done 4 years ago, took the thumb off and removed a piece of bone, then scraped all the arthritis off all around my wrist, was on morphine for a week, very painfull, was in a cast for 6 weeks, its as good as new now. Was suppose to have the right hand done last month but I put it off until after the holidays.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

I have this problem in my left hand. Thumb joint to hand hurts all the time, being a wuss I won't be going to a Doc. I'll just live with it, at 71 everything hurts anyway.

Rich

VIP Member
    My wife just recently had hand surgery. We have three young grandchildren and she was playing Nerf football with them, caught a pass sort of awkwardly and broke a chip of bone in her ring finger joint.......mallet finger. Hand surgeon put it back in place, she's in a healing mode right now, I'd say she needs to increase her calcium intake too, that's something else to consider as we age.

Good luck on your hand surgery, and keep us posted. BTW she was given a post-op Rx for pain meds, but never needed them. She said that Tylenol was all she needed for the first day or so.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RichB70 View Post
    I have this problem in my left hand. Thumb joint to hand hurts all the time, being a wuss I won't be going to a Doc. I'll just live with it, at 71 everything hurts anyway.

Oh yeah! I can relate!

Good luck with the hand - hopefully surgery won't be necessary!

Wishing the best to you. Keep us updated.

Quote Originally Posted by cars View Post
    detective, I know just what you're going through. I had the surgery on my left hand about 4 years ago, it took a loooong time to heal but seems to be as good as new and I use it hard. The 26th of this month I've gotta go back to the VA to get the right one done. My carry weapon is a 3" barrel .45 and I haven't been able to practice lately, the pain is incredible and its constant now. Good luck with yours, I hope it comes out as good as my left one did.

cars
    That's great to know! Down further is the outcome of my visit to Hand Surgeon. Did he have you also try some other things first before you went the surgery route?
    (see below)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links