Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)!

This is a discussion on Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted that my rt hand suddenly blew up at the joint between the thumb and wrist 2-3 weeks ago; it is arthritis with injury ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)!

Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)!

I posted that my rt hand suddenly blew up at the joint between the thumb and wrist 2-3 weeks ago; it is arthritis with injury from shooting - especially 2 guns that are a tad long for my trigger reach. This causes the gun to shift slightly as you compensate and recoil goes directly against the base of the thumb bone driving it over and over again into the joint, hence bone fragments etc.

BE CAREFUL OF YOUR GUNS POSITION, MAKE SURE IT POINTS STRAIGHT FORWARD FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE "V" FORMED WHEN YOU PUT YOUR THUMB AND FOREFINGER STRAIGHT OUT.

REALLY watch any gun that has a too long trigger reach for you. Start wearing padded shooting gloves with good support around the thumb if you have one too long for your reach, and now.* And don't buy any gun unless you check it's trigger-reach carefully.

The condition I have is called Basal Joint Arthritis and is common to begin with. Shooters can easily get it, fact I was told about a large article concerning it recently in one of the gun magazines. Dunno which.

I have the same in my other hand too, but not as bad. Even shooting with that off-hand now causes pain except in .22. I haven't a .380, I may shoot someone's to try that off-hand. My handgun days may be over, which I feel very sad about. There is an operation that is often successful. I doubt they will do this right off the bat however. We shall see tomorrow.

Be careful, I don't want others to be in my position. (By the way, I am 65, been shooting just 6 years but I really liked it. I don't like it as well, but maybe I will have to move to long guns. I shot 45acp a lot, including a revolver which really was too big for me.)
    * I had no symptoms of arthritis before 2 weeks ago, which often is the case with this condition. Pain is absent for awhile though the damage is happening. So, double careful you all.
    Last edited by detective; December 3rd, 2012 at 12:53 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good luck!

I remember your post .

I have an issue with my dominate hand (L). feels like carpal tunel.
    Pin from where wrist meets hand, then procedes up into hand forming a divisional line between thumb and rest of hand.

Sucks getting old, and I ain't even there yet.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Good luck!

I remember your post .

I have an issue with my dominate hand (L). feels like carpal tunel.
    Pin from where wrist meets hand, then procedes up into hand forming a divisional line between thumb and rest of hand.

Sucks getting old, and I ain't even there yet.
    I know, I think they should repeal age.

mkh
    Good luck. My wife is an occupational therapist that specializes in hands. Jut remember - No pain, No gain. Make sure you follow up on the therapy and do what the therapist says.
    ppkheat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    They did. Mother Nature vetoed it, though. Can't fool the ol' girl.

Now, where did I put my cane ...
    miller_man and detective like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Good luck Detective. I'm sorry to hear of your problems.
    Shall not be infringed means - shall not be infringed.
    Member - NRA
    John

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Here's hoping the best results for you detective...and thanks for the shooting tips...
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Good luck with the Dr. Hope all turns out well for you.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Being an orthopedic surgeon, I can tell you that you would have probably had this anyway (as you said it is extremely common as we age) but your shooting certainly could have exacerbated your symptoms. Treatment is activity modification (quit doing what lights it up), anti inflammatories, a steroid shot or a carpometacarpal arthroplasty (surgery where you excise the affected bone and do a reconstruction with a tendon). and yes, getting old does suck

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Good luck and let us know if it works.

Best of luck to you! Your previous post got me thinking about one of the guns I have being a bad fit for my hand. May have to give that one to one of my sons.

Re: Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)!

Since you ask for good luck wishes, you might not believe in the power of prayer...

I' ll pray anyway... And still wish you good luck, too.
    blitzburgh likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

I posted that my rt hand suddenly blew up at the joint between the thumb and wrist 2-3 weeks ago; it is arthritis with injury from shooting - especially 2 guns that are a tad long for my trigger reach. This causes the gun to shift slightly as you compensate and recoil goes directly against the base of the thumb bone driving it over and over again into the joint, hence bone fragments etc.

BE CAREFUL OF YOUR GUNS POSITION, MAKE SURE IT POINTS STRAIGHT FORWARD FROM THE MIDDLE OF THE "V" FORMED WHEN YOU PUT YOUR THUMB AND FOREFINGER STRAIGHT OUT.
    That's good advice for anyone, especially for those of us with small hands!

This article on gun fit illustrates the problem - check out the section called "Too Large" with a photo that shows how this problem causes the thumb to absorb the recoil: Trying On a Handgun | Cornered Cat

As for getting older - I know what you mean... but it's still better than the alternative!

Good luck with your surgery!
    EastCoastMojo likes this.
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Re: Wish Me Good Luck: I See The Hand Surgeon Tomorrow and WARNING (Again)!

Fingers crossed for you.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Ya got that right! Youth is wasted on the young...
    detective likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links