Uncomfortable at school - Page 3

Uncomfortable at school

This is a discussion on Uncomfortable at school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Marine, Suck it up and quit whining! You were trained to fight. Read my by line....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Uncomfortable at school

Marine, Suck it up and quit whining! You were trained to fight. Read my by line.
    tcox4freedom and GunGeezer like this.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Ever notice that its places we (non cop, non military.) cant carry that get shot up? Im not going to make a "If i was there i could have..." argument, but id like to think that id have tried. Im sure all of you would have too for that matter. Its my completely personal non fact based opinion that "we" carry not for our own defense so much as a natural need to protect others. I dont view the pistol on my hip as a freedom so much as a responsibility.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    There is very little info from the OP and a lot of room for conjecture between the lines. Does your handle mean you are taking drugs? Are you an instructor or a student? Does your state permit weapons in school like in California?
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseman1991 View Post
    Hey I completely understand man. I'm about to graduate in May (college) so I won't be in that situation much longer. But it really is a scary feeling knowing that no one is supposed to have as much as a pocket knife and if a BG came in with something he would be hard to stop.

Goose
    Why can't you carry a knife on a college campus? Is that TN law? School rule?
    Are you saying you can't have a small folder?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    No way am I going into a crowded place unarmed, the law be damned. If I go somewhere with metal detectors or searches I bring a roll of nickles, not much but at least its something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward7 View Post
    Ever notice that its places we (non cop, non military.) cant carry that get shot up? Im not going to make a "If i was there i could have..." argument, but id like to think that id have tried. Im sure all of you would have too for that matter. Its my completely personal non fact based opinion that "we" carry not for our own defense so much as a natural need to protect others. I dont view the pistol on my hip as a freedom so much as a responsibility.
    You do keep clarifying things.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 3rd, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

What?

Some schools you can't carry at - some you can. Depends where you are and the rules and such. Making the most of your situation is the best thing you can do.

As for all the "Marine" jokes, cliches, and stereotypes - everyone is different and each person's experience during their service (regardless of branch) will be different. It takes all kinds. A "pothead Marine" isn't honorably discharged - which isn't to say that they were never a Marine, but chances are good that they spent a lot of time hanging around a barracks awaiting legal separation.

Jumping to conclusions about "self medicated" isn't a very considerate thing to do. Choosing such a screen name could be considered a cry for help - not a statement of a preferred way of life. I don't know how many of our forum members have suffered traumatic psychological injuries - but it is a real thing, and not to be taken lightly.

That said - everyone is entitled to their opinion. It does feel better to be armed when you're stuck in a room for an hour or more. Being able to carry a weapon every other hour of the day makes those hours in class feel different. If it were me, I would try to sit in the least vulnerable/most advantageous position possible - and focus on the class itself. School shootings are quite rare, and there's only so much you can do to prepare for such an event.

Austin

I know of two people who have been stalked through the parking lots at Kent over the last 6 months. Campus security can't be every where.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by s3lfmedicated View Post
    Hey someone pour Chuck Norris a coffee..
    Chuck is right. You may be limited to saving your own hide, but not possessing a firearm doesn't make you helpless or even defenseless. One popular tactic, well, I think internet speak for it is "GTFO".
    GunGeezer likes this.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I find a tin-foil hat a great comfort in situations like this!

Quote Originally Posted by s3lfmedicated View Post
    Call me nuts, but out of all the places I find myself during the week, my classroom is where I feel completely naked. With everything that has happened to this date I'll space off during class realizing theres nothing I can do if something were to go down, pretty lousy feeling.

Semper-Fi
    Welcome to DC. As in life, you listen to who you want, read what you want to read, and we're no different. Just skip the posts that you want to skip. We're pretty friendly folks here usually.
    aus71383, lchamp and tcox4freedom like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Why can't you carry a knife on a college campus? Is that TN law? School rule?
    Are you saying you can't have a small folder?
    School rule. "No one is allowed to have a weapon on campus....if it can be used as a weapon it is a weapon". Pretty much what it says. If I am attacked and choose to use my keys or belt as a weapon then what? No more keys and belts? Seems like a flaw in logic to me, but I don't make the rules.

Goose
    "These days I go down to Wal-Mart and they sell 'em in the back.
    Some people wanna take 'em away, why don't you go bust them boys that's sellin' crack.
    Guns, whether Remingtons 'er Glocks.
    Come on man it ain't like I'm a slingin' 'em on the block." - Justin Moore

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    A year or so ago I saw posted here a video showing an Israeli instructor addressing a college class on what to do if they heard shots in the hallway. The class, after his training, was surprisingly effective in dealing with the actor they had playing the bad guy.

Does anyone have a link for that video?

If the OP ever visits again, he might find it quite interesting (and I would like to watch it again).

Thanks! (and I *did* try searching but was unsuccessful)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gooseman1991 View Post
    School rule. "No one is allowed to have a weapon on campus....if it can be used as a weapon it is a weapon". Pretty much what it says. If I am attacked and choose to use my keys or belt as a weapon then what? No more keys and belts? Seems like a flaw in logic to me, but I don't make the rules.

Goose
    Seriously, you sound like you are describing a Junior High School and not a College or University. I think you are
    attaching too much meaning to whatever rule you are looking at and too much authority to your school. Bring a folder and pepper (if both are allowed by State Law) and keep that fact private. Or, transfer to a school for grown ups. (No insult to you
    or your school intended with that remark, just a fact. There are plenty of schools that treat students as the adult citizens they are, to the extent the law allows. Believe me, the Deans have better things to spend their time on then making a fuss about a key, or even pepper, used in a self defense incident.)
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You may want to look at concealed carry issues discussions, Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states... and Home (And Away From Home) Defense Discussion
    Improvised Weapons for some answers.
    I always wear steel toe and I carry a cane to courtrooms and on planes, anywhere I cant carry a gun or knife.
    gooseman1991 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links