SE Wisconsin Members: Bayshore Mall's poorly-placed anti-firearm signs

This is a discussion on SE Wisconsin Members: Bayshore Mall's poorly-placed anti-firearm signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What we are dealing with in Wisconsin is a "Catch 22". The Mall does not allow weapons but some, if not all the stores that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SE Wisconsin Members: Bayshore Mall's poorly-placed anti-firearm signs

What we are dealing with in Wisconsin is a "Catch 22". The Mall does not allow weapons but some, if not all the stores that have outside entrances to there stores and inside entrances to the mall do not post no weapons signs.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

This seems to be a common thing. A mall may post its direct entrances, but stores with their own entrances don't post.

If your state law requires ALL entrances to have signage and some don't, they're not conforming. Take that as you will.

The local mall here (SD) has a sign on one of the four doors at each of its entrance areas listing its "rules of conduct". Among the dozen or so topics is a no weapons rule down around rule 10. This is on a clear sign with medium density lettering, in not very big size, that you can hardly read though the glare. And it's at knee height. The Sears, Penney's, and other stores with own entrances have no signs, nor are there signs where you enter the mall from the stores. Eh, signs have no force of law here anyway.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

GH
    Mayfair Mall is posted with gunbuster signs. I found that out when I had to swap cable boxes at Time Warner. It's been awhile but I think the mall as a whole is posted as well as some individual businesses. I go to Bayshore probably every couple of months, usually to go to a restaurant & never noticed any signs. Maybe I'm using an unposted entrance. I know for a fact that I've carried there in the past & my buddy takes his 81 year old mom to the bank there & always carries. He's the type to obey the sign so I feel he hasn't seen any either.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Every single entrance in the mall, has to be posted in order for the signs to carry the weight of law. Also, signs not on the doors are meaningless. So any sign you see on a lamp post, fence, or sign post in the parking lot are irrelevant. There are very strict sign requirements that have to be met in order for the premise to be no gun.

It's because of that, the person that went into Aldi's and did not see the sign (improperly placed) was not charged for violating the law when he stopped a crime in progress. I believe the sign was a bit low, and had some boxes in front of it.

You did nothing wrong. You broke no law.

Re: SE Wisconsin Members: Bayshore Mall's poorly-placed anti-firearm signs

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mayfair doesn't allow it. I have not been to Southridge in years though.

What are the dimensions needed? On the DOJ's FAQ it seems to just say visible signs at the entrances of a building.
    5"x7" the sign has to be. I have been to a few restaurants on the Southside where the signs are a lot smaller than that.

GH
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    5"x7" the sign has to be. I have been to a few restaurants on the Southside where the signs are a lot smaller than that.
    I defy anyone to be able to read a 5x7 sign placed on a light pole, at night, probably at a distance & while looking for an open parking space & incoming/outgoing traffic not to mention pedestrians. I normally go to Bayshore during daylight hours & I have yet to see one.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post

It's because of that, the person that went into Aldi's and did not see the sign (improperly placed) was not charged for violating the law when he stopped a crime in progress. I believe the sign was a bit low, and had some boxes in front of it.
    I heard someone say that the police still have possession of his firearm. Do you know if this is true? I can't imagine that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I defy anyone to be able to read a 5x7 sign placed on a light pole, at night, probably at a distance & while looking for an open parking space & incoming/outgoing traffic not to mention pedestrians. I normally go to Bayshore during daylight hours & I have yet to see one.
    The law clearly states the sign has to be on all of the entrances to the building, and clearly visible as well. A sign anywhere aside from the entrance has no legal standing. It's meaningless even if it meets the legal size requirements. Either whoever put them out there doesn't know the law, or they are a feel good measure for the antis.

I heard someone say that the police still have possession of his firearm. Do you know if this is true? I can't imagine that it is.
    I believe they do. There are many excuses that can be given to detain items taken. Right or wrong, it happens a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SFury View Post

I believe they do. There are many excuses that can be given to detain items taken. Right or wrong, it happens a lot.
    wow. you wouldn't happen to have a link to a story talking about this would you? i'd be furious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links