Knowledge needed to avoid problems

This is a discussion on Knowledge needed to avoid problems within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever been in a location where CC not allowed (schools, gov building, no weapons allowed, etc..etc...) with just mag pouches on and loaded ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dbglock

Thread: Knowledge needed to avoid problems

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Knowledge needed to avoid problems

Has anyone ever been in a location where CC not allowed (schools, gov building, no weapons allowed, etc..etc...) with just mag pouches on and loaded mags in them...no weapons just mags....???? How did it go.....I ran into this today...was questioned by LEO but all went well....but just what is the legal picture of doing this....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2. Remove Ads

Why were you questioned by LEO?

I have worn an empty holster into a school (locked my pistol up in the car). It was concealed...no one knew I had it on, so it never came up.

Austin

Do you figure throwing cartridges at assailants is the next best thing? As opposed to leaving the mag with the gun?
    Edward7 likes this.

GH
    I've inadvertently left a mag on my belt. I suppose in a pinch I could have put a round between my teeth & had someone whack me on the head.

I think your law probably pertains to a ban on firearms only. Since you were questioned by a PO & he didn't arrest you you'd probably be okay. Don't try to gt on a commercial flight with any ammo, though.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Well I wear a double pouch that my belt fits through and I guess I could have left the mags in the car but really did not even think about them...I was at a school in the office and the mags were showing below my jacket line. The LEO was in the office and noticed them and he just wanted to talk to me..guess I should just unload everything next time to avoid problems....

lesson taught....lesson learned....
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I always have a spare mag in a belt pouch. The pouch completely conceals the mag with a velcro flap, so it's not obvious. It's there no matter where I am.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Ammunition alone is not listed as a weapon in NC statute 14-269.2 where dealing with educational property so it shouldn't be an issue there.
    Last edited by NC Bullseye; December 3rd, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: corrected fat fingered mistake on statute number
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I have been stopped a few times going on base with loaded mags and ammo in the truck, guard asked if I had weapons and was told no. No problems.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Personally, I would not push the issue. If you are in a restricted area for firearm carry/possession, those who work there are already hypersensitive to the presence of firearms. Why draw attention to yourself by carrying loaded magazines?? What is accomplished by carrying magazines other that basically begging to be stopped and questioned? Additionally, in some jurisdictions, even ammunition is considered "hazardous".

Short answer: Secure the mags with the weapon.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Unless your state/municipality has a statute/ordinance against carrying loaded magazines, you haven't broken anything. It's the firearm itself most laws address.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I carry my loaded 1911 mags everywhere even when It's posted like at the VA hospital/clinics,In Tx the 30.06 sign only applies to firearms
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I went to a federal building downtown, dutifully left my gun and trusty pocket knife behind. Then they made me take off my belt. Apparently empty holsters aren't allowed - nothing "gun related" (should have told them it was a GUN BELT too...) but right before me they were allowing a lady in with scissors in her purse "just leave them in the purse and don't get them out" was what they told her. I'm sure leather and kydex is lethal, but scissors are perfectly safe. Idiots. If they have metal detectors you'll be making an additional trip back to the car, unless you want to surrender your mags lol
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Went to school at Ft. Gordon a few years back. Got selected for vehicle search. Had forgotten to remove a magazine or two prior to going down there. Was told I was fine as long as I didn't have the firearm.

Links