How do you stop creaking? - Page 2

How do you stop creaking?

This is a discussion on How do you stop creaking? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just received my new Theis holster and in the email he sent me letting it know it was shipping he offered this info... I ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do you stop creaking?

I just received my new Theis holster and in the email he sent me letting it know it was shipping he offered this info...

I just finished your order and it is shipping 1st class USPS. I hope you enjoy it. New leather will squeak until it gets broke in good, but don't worry it will totally stop! you can put a little baby or talcum powder on it around the clip area and where the kydex meets the leather from time to time to help stop the squeaking. You can also use any commercial leather conditioner. Apply liberally to the front side only. One of my customers said he stuck a small piece of moleskin on the back of the clips and his never squeaked. You can also Google "holster squeak" or "leather squeak"and find some other remedies there also.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    I suppose if you bathe it in the stuff every day, but I just blow some on the areas I think creak, wipe it off and go. I've never needed a second application once I found the creaking spot.
    As pgrass101 said, it may stop after a while on its own but I used a little bit of baby powder one time and mine also disappeared without having to add any more later.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I don't know about leather holsters, but do know something about saddles, to stop creeking noises we always used lexol leather conditoner. you can get it at any tack shop.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I do know that some leather holster makers tell you not to oil the leather. It soaks in and softens the leather and you will wind up with a catchers mitt...no mink oil or any other that will soak in....it's a NO NO......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Galco (maybe others) make a nice holster dressing that works well for this as well as helping with new holsters that are unduly snug on the weapon. I would not put anything on my gunleather not designed for that purpose.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

I use KIWI neutral shoe polish anywhere anything rubs against the leather. Will last for a long time and will not stain. Last application was 3 years ago and still good.

Quote Originally Posted by foxytwo View Post
    I use KIWI neutral shoe polish anywhere anything rubs against the leather. Will last for a long time and will not stain. Last application was 3 years ago and still good.
    I like the shoe polish idea. After doing some more research, I decided on the candle method (I did have any neutral polish in the house). A little wax seems to fix the issue (and I figure it can't hurt the natural small cracks that are developing in the tightly curved areas). Thanks all!

Wear it a lot, it should work out. Neutral shoe polish and wax are probably good ideas. Colored shoe polish will come off on your clothes. Oil or leather conditioner is not a really good idea on a finished holster unless it's designed for that purpose. And I imagine a leather belt MAY make it worse. It's the leather on leather, where it is rubbing but not stitched, that is likely creaking. Adding the leather belt to the mix might just make another creaky spot. I love my snap off holster, but it will occasionally creak between the straps moving on the holster and moving on the belt.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links