National Assoc. of Realtors

This is a discussion on National Assoc. of Realtors within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Linda Don't you just feel like sending him a stuffed Sheeple? Baaaaa! Maybe a whole flock! Linda, YOU have the power to ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Assoc. of Realtors

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Don't you just feel like sending him a stuffed Sheeple? Baaaaa! Maybe a whole flock!

Linda, YOU have the power to protect yourself so use it.

Here's the deal, I'm sure that as a realtor, you dress "up" which means you generally wear more clothing than people who dress casually.
    That means that you have lot's of options for carrying a weapon in deep concealment such as a P3AT or even a S&W 642. Plus, I doubt if any of the homes you show are going to have metal detectors.

So the bottom line is that you should ALWAYS be carrying a small but effective defensive weapon, but you NEVER have to tell your bosses about it nor should they ever have a reason to ask.

If you work your profession for another 30 years and never have an "incident", then great. But if the time comes where you have to choose between either defending yourself or being physically and/or emotionally harmed for life, then you know what to do.

Of course you would get fired immediately even though it would be a "good shoot". But given a choice, which is more important to you, your job, or your life.
    Besides, if "the moment" comes, you can actually decide to "give them what they want" if you so choose because just because you're armed doesn't mean that you HAVE to pull your weapon and use it.
    It simply gives you the option.

So start packing and shut up (shut up, that is, about with talking about this to your employers).

In other words: You Go, Girl!

2. Remove Ads

Finding a good realtor is not easy. That particular job can be especially risky since one is frequently alone with strangers in strange places; empty houses in every kind of neighborhood.

Linda; if a BG threatens, give 'em a Double Hollow-Point Agency Disclosure Contract!

CDH: I think I must have confused you somewhere along the line.
    I DO CARRY! 100% of the time! 16/7/365, the other 8, it's on the night stand next to me.

Mr. BG will meet my best friend who always accompanies me on all showings, shopping, wherever. Mr. BG please meet Mr. Colt Defender. Colt is .45 today and he's full of 230gr Golden Sabres.

As a real estate agent, I am considered an independant contractor. The NAR can not tell me I can't carry any more than my broker could. The only thing the broker has control over is if I can carry in the office. And I do!! I will NEVER work for an office that does not respect my choice in self protection and choses to post the office.

I also instruct CCW classes. So yea, I'm all about self protection and am sharing my knowledge with others. I also am a leader of Buckeye Firearms, which we fight to defend gun rights in Ohio.

Sorry for the confusion of you thinking I don't carry! Here, read this article that I wrote last month!
    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3273.html
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

Realtor here, too. Wow, I didn't realize NAR has an outrageous position. Well, you've gotta stay safe and firearms are part of the equation. Too bad NAR doesn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by jowgafist View Post
    I forwarded the Buckeyfirearms link to a realtor friend of mine along with a message saying "Be careful out there" and his response was "Guns and selling houses don't mix!" I told him to tell that to the BG.
    Crap, I wish I had known that gem of wisdom before I became one of the top agents in town. Guns and selling houses mix just fine for me!

Concealed means concealed. None of my clients have ever known.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    The way to deal with a criminal is to punish or kill him. That works.
    It works like nothing else.

And further, if more people weren't afraid of taking the bull by the horns and doing so when attacked, we'd be whittling away at the population of people who would attack us. They'd either be dying, or deterred from living a life of crime and victimization.

Am I correct, though, that people don't actually work for the N.A.R., but for realty companies? I mean, the N.A.R. is not a real estate firm, right? So you may have membership in the organization, but they don't set policy about how you are able to conduct your own affairs, correct?

If that's the case, then they can go... um... they can go, uh, do something unpleasant! Yeah, that's it!

My sister is a realtor and she packs.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Better half is a Realtor. .45ACP in purse!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Am I correct, though, that people don't actually work for the N.A.R., but for realty companies? I mean, the N.A.R. is not a real estate firm, right? So you may have membership in the organization, but they don't set policy about how you are able to conduct your own affairs, correct?

If that's the case, then they can go... um... they can go, uh, do something unpleasant! Yeah, that's it!
    That would be correct Jeffrey. NAR is essentially a "club" we have to be members of. Although, they wrote the "code of conduct" that we must follow.

As an agent, we are independant contractors, but a broker has to "hold" our license. We can not practice RE without a broker holding our license. We still are not "employees" of the broker. But the broker is responsible for us.

In my area, and I suspect it's this way across the country we are members of our local/regional Board of Realtors. This allows us the access to the MLS system. Without access to the MLS, we are out of business. When I pay my dues at Christmas every year, to the tune of nearly $800 ( did I mention it's due at CHRISTMAS), that also includes my dues to the Ohio Assoc of Realtors and the National Assoc. of Realtors. It is a "requirement" that we be members of the NAR. Sucks!

The NAR's stance on Realtors conceal carrying would be this:

"If confronted by a knife or gun, don’t resist and give him whatever he wants and wait for the opportunity to run.”
    I would submit that the members of this committee haven't been on the "business end" of a criminal's intentions before. Criminal psychology (which the NAR's weak position statement is not) accounts for averages and likelihoods, not the specific criminal in your face at the time. At that point, count on it to go sideways. A committee's suggestions. Oh yeah, sure. That'll do it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hi Linda,
    I don't know if you remember me; we excahanged a couple PM's about my situation (Realtor in So. Cal., originally denied because of lack of Good Cause. BTW, I did appeal and have been approved). I think that the NAR's stance is based upon legal liability, should they encourage Realtors to carry they could find themselves on the wrong end of a lawsuit in the event one of our members had to use their firearm in self defense. Sure, it's a chicken **** (sorry) attitude and I don't agree with it, but I can certainly understand it.

As a follow up to this article I wrote last month about Realtor safety, http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3273.html, I have written this one, with information about how the National Assoc. of Realtors feels about my right to defend my life.
    http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3317.html

The NAR's stance on Realtors conceal carrying would be this:

"If confronted by a knife or gun, don’t resist and give him whatever he wants and wait for the opportunity to run.”

Give him whatever he wants??? The NAR is telling me to submit to being raped, submit to being tossed in my trunk or perhaps submit to having my throat slit, all in the name of being politically correct! I am very upset that is what their advice is to me in the face of evil wrong doing.

I wonder if this is the same advice they'd give their wives, their daughters, their Mothers? They should place higher value upon their agents in my opinion.

Well, if the NAR would incur legal liability if they were to encourage realtors to carry (and I don't even agree with any principles that would attach liability to them for actions they did not take; encouraging something is not committing a crime), why don't they just say nothing about it? They are taking a negative stance; we are not asking them to take a positive stance about CCW, but they don't seem willing to just be neutral.

NAR should just leave it up to the individual. Do they have a rule that says members should not smoke, scuba dive, skydive, ride motorcycles, play with fireworks, have unprotected sex...? Why do they have to single out firearms carry?

Even if they were to come out and say, "Yeah, for your own protection, since realtors show properties all over the place, and to people who are not well known to them, they might want to carry a defensive firearm," I don't think any court should hold them liable if a realtor ends up shooting someone (though the reality might well end up different because we know how screwy courts and legal theories are these days). Why? Because suggesting something is not tantamount to guiding a person's actions in a specific eventuality.

And so you would think, wouldn't you? I completely agree with you however, we live in a very litigious society. McDonalds had to pay out a large sum of money (millions I think) because some jackass spilled hot coffee on themselves. Everyone knows that coffee is hot and that it will probably hurt if you spill it on you. Did that make a difference? No. Same thing with smoking. Everyone knoows that smoking kills. Phillip Morris has paid millions to victims of lung cancer. Some ambulance chaser could probably prove that the NAR was promoting vigilanteism if they encourage their members to carry. Would they be doing that? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Well, if the NAR would incur legal liability if they were to encourage realtors to carry (and I don't even agree with any principles that would attach liability to them for actions they did not take; encouraging something is not committing a crime), why don't they just say nothing about it? They are taking a negative stance; we are not asking them to take a positive stance about CCW, but they don't seem willing to just be neutral.

NAR should just leave it up to the individual. Do they have a rule that says members should not smoke, scuba dive, skydive, ride motorcycles, play with fireworks, have unprotected sex...? Why do they have to single out firearms carry?

Even if they were to come out and say, "Yeah, for your own protection, since realtors show properties all over the place, and to people who are not well known to them, they might want to carry a defensive firearm," I don't think any court should hold them liable if a realtor ends up shooting someone (though the reality might well end up different because we know how screwy courts and legal theories are these days). Why? Because suggesting something is not tantamount to guiding a person's actions in a specific eventuality.

Chris! That's wonderful!!! Congratulations and be safe out there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links