Defensive Carry banner

LTCF and drinking?????

7K views 92 replies 66 participants last post by  BamaAlum97 
#1 ·
If you drink more than you expected at a friends party, what do you do with your CCW? I plan to put mine in my wifes purse or coat (Shes getting her LTCF as well next week)
To me drinking alcohol and guns does not mix well!
On the third drink ( I drink Jack) I put my Carry weapon in my safe....
What do you do?:confused:

#65 ·
I think it's strange that so many men...out of their 20's...still associate drinking with getting drunk. Many people can and do enjoy drinking for other reasons than getting wasted. I hate drinking 'too much' but I certainly enjoy wines and developing a palate for fine scotch and tequila. I enjoy the taste. And at home, the relaxation.

Drinking does not equal irresponsibility. However drinking can lead to irresponsibility. So can driving a car. So can carrying a gun...no alcohol required.

#72 · (Edited)
The thing here is that alcohol impairs your faculties. Even just one drink causes impairment. That's a fact. The only variable is how impaired you become, and that is a factor of how many drinks you have, among other things. So speaking for myself, no, I will not drink while carrying. Of course, I am not on a campaign to stop everybody from drinking while carrying. That is a personal decision that every one of us has to make. I was simply replying to a question that was posed by the OP on the subject.

#67 ·
I wasn't speaking of getting plastered.
I drink whiskey or beer. My Jack is two shots over 4 ice cubes and sipped slowly. I enjoy the flavor.
My theoretical situation is you go to a friends house or something to help. He offers to fire up the BBQ.
Two beers later I plan to discuss with my SO weather she wants to drive us home. If she says fine, then I (in a still non-drunk state of mind) will hand my pistol and holster to her (also LTCF!) and continue to have a few more.
Too many people read half a post and want to jump on people. EXAMPLE: One poster went as far as to admonish me for giving my pistol to my wife and getting her arrested when the OP said she has her LTCF as well.

Reactions: preachertim
#78 ·
I watched a test one time on alcohol, personal estimation of imparement, and ability to function. Without exception the personal estimation of imparement was low. They did the ability to function test and asked test takers how they thought they had done, and received pretty much the same response. They brought the test takers back 24 hours later, and let them watch the video tape of their estimations, and their function tests. The test takers saw that they were much more impared than they recognized at the time and had no idea how badly they had done on the function test.

The conclusion is that we are not good judges of our own abilities when we drink alcohol - even a little alcohol.

Am I saying you can't drink? No! But be honest with yourself and realize that, in most instances, with alcohol, you will think you are more able to function than you really are.

Reactions: preachertim
#81 ·
This is true, that is how drivers in Colorado end up with a DWAI. Add high altitude and it is even worse. That is why I never drink on the Golf Course. It affects my motor skills. I guess so at the end of the day I need to not drink away from home. So much for the wine I spoke of earlier.

#82 ·
I had an issue dealing with this last night. I drove for the family when we went out to dinner last night. I left my .38 locked in my glove box since I knew I'd have a beer or two. I ended up drinking only one, but that was enough for me not to want to carry a firearm.

#83 ·
I know it runs against the grain for this forum, but I never disarm, except within the confines of my castle, temporary or permanent. Just don't do it. I'm good with it if you want to, but I won't. We used to have a policy with everyone dropping their pistols on top of a refrigerator when alcohol was involved, but then you got drunks handling pistols, at the end of the evening, and while we never had any problems, it's a risk not worth taking.

I realize that complacency can result in fatalities and alcohol further compounds this, but so can being unarmed, when you're used to being armed at all times. I don't handle my holstered sidearm any more or any less. It's holstered when I put my pants on, and unholstered when I take them off. If I need it, I need it. I also don't drink to excess any longer. Old age does have benefits. :)

Reactions: MikeFontenot
#84 ·
I have SecureIt safe in each of my vehicles bolted under the seats to secure my weapons when there is a need to do so. I also have long gun locks in the trunk of my vehicle. Do I drink? yes, but never to the excess.

#89 ·
Speaking of drinking hate to steal a thread.but..... What if I went out drinking and came home drunk. As I lay in my bed guys break in and start to in ade my house. I'm drunk but mentally there to know shtf and I need to protect myself and do by stopping the threat with deadly force. Am I ok??? Or screwed??

#91 ·
And state law. In Fl, even drunks are entitled to defend themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.