Defensive Carry banner

LTCF and drinking?????

7K views 92 replies 66 participants last post by  BamaAlum97 
#1 ·
If you drink more than you expected at a friends party, what do you do with your CCW? I plan to put mine in my wifes purse or coat (Shes getting her LTCF as well next week)
To me drinking alcohol and guns does not mix well!
On the third drink ( I drink Jack) I put my Carry weapon in my safe....
What do you do?:confused:

#5 ·
I would NOT leave a loaded CC gun in a purse or coat pocket! Especially at a friend's party where people are drinking... The only way to make sure your gun isn't discovered and misused by someone is to keep it concealed and on your person - or locked in a safe.

Everyone here will agree that alcohol and guns don't mix. You, or your wife, could be the designated driver/CCWer for the evening, meaning no drinking for that person.

#6 ·
A designated CCW'er? That's one interesting concept. :blink:

If I plan on drinking at a friends house, I don't bring my gun. If I'm drinking at home, I put the gun up. Simples!

Reactions: RoadKill
#23 ·
A designated CCW'er? That's one interesting concept. :blink:
I love it! I think that is an awesome concept. My husband and I carry so if either of us wanted to drink then the other who is the designated driver is also the designated CCW for the night. One of us is always armed and both of us are armed 90% of the time.
I love being a husband and wife tactical team. Although he does tease me and say I go in front so I don't sweep him. :frown: I have good muzzle control and great trigger discipline!!

#8 ·
I have had two drinks since I got my carry license. Both at home, while not carrying.

You took on a very serious responsibility when you applied for a concealed carry license / permit. When alcohol becomes involved you need to be responsible enough to pick one or the other, and not after three drinks either.

#85 ·
This. Don't carry if you plan on drinking, don't drink if you are carrying.

I had an issue dealing with this last night. I drove for the family when we went out to dinner last night. I left my .38 locked in my glove box since I knew I'd have a beer or two. I ended up drinking only one, but that was enough for me not to want to carry a firearm.
Wait, so you were uncomfortable with a firearm but comfortable driving a car:confused:?

#11 ·
If you drink more than you expected at a friends party, what do you do with your CCW? I plan to put mine in my wifes purse or coat (Shes getting her LTCF as well next week)
To me drinking alcohol and guns does not mix well!
On the third drink ( I drink Jack) I put my Carry weapon in my safe....
What do you do?:confused:
I don't drink much anymore (actually I never was a big drinker). I still enjoy a drink of 18 y.o. Macallan single malt from time to time. But when I'm carrying, I don't drink at all. My safety and that of the people around is much more important to me than having even one drink while carrying.

#12 · (Edited)
If you plan to drink you should temporarily disarm from the 1st drink

#13 ·
If you drink more than you expected at a friends party, what do you do with your CCW?
If that were to happen, I'd disarm ... wherever it went, so long as I wasn't carrying (whether into the S.O.'s purse/bag, back in the car, whatever). For myself, knowing I was planning to be drinking, I would disarm in advance. But then, alcohol isn't one of my must-haves, so it's no big deal with me. Been the "designated" driver for decades. I'm good with that.

#14 ·
If I drink more than expected I usually just pull the trigger once or twice so that the other party goers will qwit ignoring me.

The problem with the world is grown-ups behaving like unsupervised children.

Reactions: KBSR
#16 ·
I never have more than 1 beer or shot, and always at home or trusted relative's house.
Yup. Situation management is just as important as "stupor" avoidance.

#17 ·
If I've had too much to drink at a party while carrying my weapon, I impress everyone by showing them the weapon. First I unload by racking the slide, and then dropping the mag. Then I fire at a wall to show to everyone that the gun is not loaded.

It's a funny story until you hear that some "impressive" young man did exactly that a few months back a few miles from where I live and shot a young lady in the next room. She died.

If alcohol is around, ESPECIALLY if there are others around, the guns stay away.

#18 ·
I think the best advice would be: If you are going to carry, just don't drink. If you even think you're going to drink, just don't carry.

#20 ·
In some states it is illegal to drink any amount of alcohol while armed. Even though, most people's judgment will not be impaired by having one or two beers/drinks, I don't think that drinking and carrying is a good idea. Just think what would happen if for some reason you discharge your gun (justified or not) and you are found to be "under the influence." I don't think that will go too well in a court of law. JMHO.

Reactions: jsrdrnr
#59 ·
Is this just your opinion or can you cite case(s)? I have looked and could not find a single case where an otherwise good self defense shooting turned into something else because of drinking by the defender. So, for me, this is just urban myth.

I don't drink when armed as a matter of personal preference, but here in FL it is legal to drink and carry. The state recognizes that even drunks are entitled to self-defence.
So, in some states it is legal to carry a firearm and consume adult beverages. Here, in Nevada, the legal limit for drinking and carrying is 0.10 bac (dui is 0.08) so I can drink quite a bit and still be legal to carry.

I don't drink while I have a gun on me. Part of being a responsible gun owner is being a responsible gun owner.
Being a resposible drinker is being a responsible drinker. I think you just don't trust yourself to behave like an adult once you have started to drink. I do trust myself. I agree, those who cannot have a drink and continue to behave should not drink. But this has nothing to do with guns!

If you plan to drink you should temporarily disarm from the 1st drink
If I am going someplace where I will be having any amount of alcohol, I leave it home. Just like drinking and driving...... DON"T
So, in your view, if I go out to eat with my wife and have a glass of wine with my meal I should no longer be allowed to defend her against attackers! I disagree.

Ken

#24 ·
I don't drink,I don't have a problem with people drinking,but if you drink to the point your trashed it's a good idea to lock your gun up beforehand.The problem with getting drunk to the point where your motor skills are affected is IMHO if you are drunk as a skunk and walking to your car with a sober designated driver that could be the time a PREDATOR decides you would make a good robbery victim.

#25 ·
Mr wonders what Wyatt Earp did?? :wave: :danceban:

#26 ·
My solution isn't the one most would choose but I decided to quit drinking. I gave it a lot of thought and ultimately decided that while it was fun to have a few (or even more than a few) being drunk was incompatible with what I want out of life. I've begun to get pretty serious about CCW after a period of complacency where I had almost completely stopped carrying. And booze doesn't mix with firearms. Even at home. What if you hear that dreaded "bump in the night" after a five drink nightcap?

Ultimately I have chosen to be in full command of my faculties at all times.

Reactions: Doghandler
#28 ·
So, let me get this straight. You are carrying a loaded, deadly, weapon, which takes some level of skill to manipulate, and folks have "accidental" discharges with all the time. Normally these ADs are caused because they somehow got a finger or object on the trigger. And, after having too much to drink, you are planning on handling (even if to put it in your wife's coat) this loaded, deadly weapon? You, while impaired, to some level, are planning on doing exactly what causes most "accidental" discharges? And probably leave it in a place where it is unattended around other folks who are impaired?

What am I missing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.