Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states... - Page 2

Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states...

This is a discussion on Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off - welcome! Next - start with... your mind. Your 'problem' is far from unique. Even though lots of us here can carry firearms ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states...

First off - welcome!

Next - start with... your mind. Your 'problem' is far from unique. Even though lots of us here can carry firearms legally in lots of jurisdictions, the overwhelming majority can't be armed everywhere they go. What's a body to do?

I urge you to seek training that goes beyond firearms skills. Maybe start with the NRA's "refuse to be a victim" courses as an entree into a greater sense of situational awareness. How would either of you handle a physical assault in a parking garage if you're unarmed? Sure, you're a big guy, but if you've got your face in your smart phone while walking to your car, you're ripe to be cold-cocked by a punch from behind. See where I'm coming from?

You need to look past relying on specific tools to stay safe. Think in broader terms of strategies and behaviors, then fill in the gaps with the tools allowed in whatever venues you find yourself. If you lock your mind into reliance on specific tools like guns or knives or iron rakes, then you'll be ill-prepared if those tools fail you or are absent altogether.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

New Member Array Mobile_Defense's Avatar
    Hmmm, Well DefCon, I was thinking of martial arts, and we will be driving from place to place so I can avoid the TSA, which is nice... I'll look into the pen though thanks:)

I've decided on the rectal thermometer and a high lumen flash light. I'll call my defensive strategy the blind and probe! thanks Rock.

Your best weapon is your mind. Situational awareness. Everything else is merely a tool. I do like the B&P strategy too
    miller_man likes this.

Id go with a cane and a fake limp.

New Member Array Mobile_Defense's Avatar
    Thanks Smitty, I will definitely look into some training better suited to the big city:)

Oh, and steel toe.

A ball peen hammer is very persuasive.

I can bring my cane and my steel toes into courtrooms and on planes, try that with a hammer.

There's a lot to be said for a long-stroke, high-volume, maximum distance, commercial-grade squirt bottle full of...lemon juice concentrate. I sent one with my daughter to college (very restrictive dorm rules) and a cynical, non-believing male friend volunteered as a test "aggressor". I wasn't there, but was told a couple of squirts in the face dropped him like a hot horseshoe, blind & whimpering.
    HKinNY and Mobile_Defense like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Stanley makes a very handy tool that is at home in your car for roadside problems as well being at home in your travel bag for those spur of the moment home improvements you may have to make it's called the Stanley Fubar. Comes in a variety of sizes and is one tough tool. One lives on the back of my grab and go bag full time.

Just google Stanley Fubar and you can find several sizes and sources.
    Attached Images
    Mobile_Defense likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

My wife's purse is a deadly weapon. If there's room to swing it, watch out!
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

VIP Member
    Harsh language.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

rectal thermometers
    You Win anybody comes at me with one and I'm unassing the AO ASAP
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Keep a full sized fire extinguisher in your appt. can shoot with it and then bash with it. Out of the house go with a cane and get some training in how to employ impact weapons.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    First do you have a permit/license to carry a firearm? If you do study the states you will be traveling to and see if that permit/license is valid there. If it is then you can carry your firearm. Except for NY, NJ, Mass, DC and Chicago you can take a firearm with you even if you don't have a valid permit/license to carry as long as you transport it unloaded and secured. Do be aware of mag limit restrictions in some states. Then study the Chemical Spray/Electric Weapon laws of the states you are going to be traveling to. In most you can carry pepper spray for self defense. There are some you can't and there are some cities and counties you can't have them in. Study the laws and find out if they apply where you are going.

Like was mentioned earlier that three pounds of mush between your ears is your biggest weapon. Don't act like a victim and you most likely won't be one. Now I hate to sound like a self serving site promoting person but we make no money from our website. Handgunlaw.us has the laws on firearms/transporting/Chemical Sprays/Electric Weapons broken down by each state. I try to give the Alpha/Numeric Code for that states laws so you can look them up for yourself. I have links to each states Statutes and Administrative Code as many restrictions are found outside the Statutes. I try to supply links to all the critical state websites so you can double check what is legal and what is not.

Your question is one of the main reasons Steve and I started handgunlaw.us. So people could find the laws on what is legal in each state. Good guys obey the law but to obey it you have to know what it is. Do your research and find out what the laws are where you are going. Even if you live in a state that won't issue you a permit/license to carry you can obtain non resident permit/licenses from other states that will make you legal in a good number of states. You and your spouses safety is your #1 concern. Take the time to find out how you can legally defend you and yours in the states you are traveling to. To do that you have to research the laws at their source.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links