Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states...

This is a discussion on Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I have been reading here for a long time, and have found almost every answer to every question I could think of asking. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states...

New Member Array Mobile_Defense's Avatar

Needed: 100% legal (own, transprort, use) weapon for self defense in all 50 states...

Hello everyone,

I have been reading here for a long time, and have found almost every answer to every question I could think of asking. I do, however, have a unique problem which has led to me joining the forums. Given the nature of mine and my wife's work (travel nurses) we will be traveling from state to state about every seven weeks. What I need is a weapon that does not require registration or permits that can be taken to any state and used in a self defense capacity. I also need it to be concealable if possible, however, a larger "whatever it is" is fine for the apartment.

I figure some demographic information would help in the weapon's selection. I am 6'4" and reasonably strong. My wife is 5'3", and weakish. I would like something for her to use as well. So far I've found that garden tools, sports equipment, and some general contracting tools seem to be legal. I would rather have something that fires a projectile as I have some skill with firearms, and would prefer to keep my distance from an attacker.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance:)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    From my very limited understanding of this topic, as far as matters of legalities are concerned - its all going to boil down to specific state laws. I don't think you're going to find a magic weapon that is going to by-pass all state laws unless perhaps you get something like pepper spray? I would imagine that only non-lethal weapons would meet the criteria you're looking for, etc. Even then, however, I would check said state laws before going there just to be on the safe side - an ounce of prevention, etc.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Something that fires a projectile rules out several states so now its a cane or umbrella, some states ban pepper spray or stun gun

Yeah, that is what I figured, I have read synopsis of the various state laws, and it is a mixed bag... even pepper spray has a grey area in some states. Thanks for answering though:)

If I'm not mistaken, a tactical light would be legal everywhere depending on the bezel you have on it. Some states might not look kindly on crenellated bezels but I don't think there are any that prohibit you from temporarily blinding someone with 200 plus lumen. It sounds like a weird suggestion but it could incapacitate someone long enough for you to get away.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
    Something that fires a projectile rules out several states so now its a cane or umbrella, some states ban pepper spray or stun gun
    Some states do not ban pepper but cities in the state do. That can be a problem if you go solely by
    the state law. Be careful.
    atctimmy likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Starting walking with a cane.
    marcclarke and BkCo1 like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A roll of dimes (small hands) or quarters (large hands) as impact weapon (in hands or in knee socks); knitting needles; leatherman tools generally; pair of needle nose pliers; screw drivers; Cold Steel Canes; scalpels (as a medical tool?)..........rectal thermometers

I actually like the light idea, thanks! I guess I will have to get one with out the armored bezel then.
    DefConGun likes this.

The most effective and devastating weapon you can have in your possession is your mind. Get some training that will give you muscle memory as well as a mindset for tactical strategic thinking. I'm thinking a defensive pen might be legal everywhere, like the ones made by Benchmade, etc. I'm thinking you can clear TSA and carry this onto coach with you on a plane?
    BkCo1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, a tactical light would be legal everywhere depending on the bezel you have on it. Some states might not look kindly on crenellated bezels but I don't think there are any that prohibit you from temporarily blinding someone with 200 plus lumen. It sounds like a weird suggestion but it could incapacitate someone long enough for you to get away.
    That is a great idea. Might also want to think about having a mag lite 3 cell in the travel vehicle, can be used for defense purposes!

Baseball bat

I have a friend who is afraid of firearms. She carries a can of wasp spray.
    USN Retired

Here are some ideas: Improvised Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by fail_187 View Post
    That is a great idea. Might also want to think about having a mag lite 3 cell in the travel vehicle, can be used for defense purposes!
    Its what bikers do! They really do this and its legal to carry.

I'm not necessarily suggesting this but they also carry a padlock in their back pocket. They tie a handkerchief on it and allow only the handkerchief to hang out of it. If they find themselves in a jam, they reach behind themselves, grab the handkerchief and have a makeshift club at their disposal.
    dukalmighty likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links