Wife gets off the fence...

This is a discussion on Wife gets off the fence... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ..my wife has kinda been on the fence about me getting my CHL. I have spent many hours the past few weeks in this and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Wife gets off the fence...

..my wife has kinda been on the fence about me getting my CHL. I have spent many hours the past few weeks in this and other CC and SD sites learning as much as I can before getting my plastic. She thought I might be getting a little gung-ho. My test is in 2 weeks, fingerprints tomorrow...been carrrying around the house to get "comfortable", well, then this comes across the TV tonight while we were eating dinner...

CORPUS CHRISTI (Kiii News) -
    There were some tense moments for one Corpus Christi man Monday morning, as he was robbed in the HEB parking lot at Violet Road and Leopard Street.
    The 36-year old victim said that two Hispanic men approached him and one whipped out a pistol and demanded money while the other man kept watch. After getting the cash, the two fled the scene in a red passenger car.
    Police said one man is described as 35-40 years of age with a star tattoo under his left eye. The other man is described as 20-30 years of age with a spider tattoo on his left elbow. Both were bald, and left the scene in a four-door passenger car with damage to the left rear bumper.

If you know the identity of these two men, you are encouraged to call Crime Stoppers at 361-888-8477.

This is "our" HEB, just 2 blocks away, needless to say, the wife is officially "off" the fence. To her credit, she told me why she always just carries just her DL and debit card when going to HEB, Walmart, ect...makes her less of a target for any would be BG, no purse to snatch. She's a great gal, that is onther reason I want to have the means to protect her if need be, Kel
    darbo likes this.

Glad to know you've been doing so much research! This is a great place and wish I would of found it sooner.

Sometimes it takes "moments" like that. Moments where it just hits "them" even though it was a story about crimes we all know happen, every day, everywhere.
    68blackbird likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    She's a great gal, that is onther reason I want to have the means to protect her if need be
    The greatest reason there is. And about all that needs to be said on the subject, when it comes right down to it. So long as you're both on the same page in that respect (doing what's best for the family's safety, health and well-being), there shouldn't be a problem.

Congrats on going the route of responsible carry.
    68blackbird likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Something similar happened with my wife. I was working out in the burbs near her, but have worked in the big city for the last two years. After seeing the robberies, etc on the news and finding out how close some of these incidents are to my work, my wife was in favor of me carrying once WI enacted it last fall. Good luck and I must say that I have learned tons from this site, very helpful and great insights.
    68blackbird likes this.
    "The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."
    - Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)

Congrats to you for wanting to do right by your family. Also my hat's off to your wife for realizing that sometimes bad things can happen to good people. Many, many people don't want to acknowledge that fact.
    68blackbird likes this.

Good on you for doing your research. I, too, am trying to absorb as much as possible before my course in a few weeks. Since I can't carry yet, I've been focusing on other aspects of CC, situational awareness being the biggest. I especially do this in the part of town my business is in. It's not in the slums, but my shop is about 4 blocks from one of the deadliest intersections in Houston when it comes to violent crime. Low income, high density area.

For example, I have to make cash withdrawals on a bi-weekly basis usually. Before entering the bank, I take inventory of the parking lot and who is in the bank when I enter. When leaving, I'm looking in every direction when walking to my car, watching for anything unusual. I check to make sure I'm not being followed, too. My car was actually broken into early this year after one of these bank trips. Nothing was stolen, but the car was rummaged through, like whoever did it was looking for something....cash.

So yeah, always be aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down, especially during the holidays when some of us are carrying more cash and goods with us.
    Pistology and 68blackbird like this.

I don't consider myself a paranoid dude, but with the way our country is heading, I can only foresee things getting more desperate for a lot of folks, and things could even more dangerous for us all...it's a shame that we have to be soooooo in tuned with our surroundings these days, I'm afraid we have lost our innocence for good, time to stay alert...and loaded.

VIP Member
    In the OP scenario, ya gotta have SA, covert draw, authoritative interview stance.... All of this points to (continued) training. Good luck on never needing it. Welcome to the site.
    68blackbird and atctimmy like this.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Experience is a great teacher, and if you can learn from the experiences of others...even better.

Keep sharing the local dirtbag actions with your wife, and perhaps she'll want to her own permit and firearm.
    68blackbird likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats on staging a robbery and getting it on the news to help your cause. You do what you have to sometimes. Glad it worked as planned.
    68blackbird likes this.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Experience is a great teacher, and if you can learn from the experiences of others...even better.

Keep sharing the local dirtbag actions with your wife, and perhaps she'll want to her own permit and firearm.
    This approach works.

My wife and her girlfriends are going through a shooting class and following it up with a CCW course shortly after the turn of the year.
    68blackbird and Fitch like this.

Congrats on staging a robbery and getting it on the news to help your cause. You do what you have to sometimes. Glad it worked as planned.
    Dang, can't get anything by you guys......

On another note, saw this today, lesson learned, don't confront BG with pen...

Woman assaulted by burglary suspects

Like yours, my wife has never been especially enthusiastic about me carrying. She never saw the "need", wasn't raised around handguns, and would occasionally (at first) roll her eyes when I put on the holster. She was just afraid of guns in general, especially the "what if" factor.

But then we had a daughter, and her perspective changed a little. As she became more aware of local crimes and started to understand how close she has been to some potentially bad people/situations, she has accepted my decision. It helps that I am adamant about safety, responsibility, discretion, and concealment. It ain't about showing anything off, or pretending to be a badass.

She has also come to understand that I am a rural-district prosecutor, and it is not at all uncommon for me to run into criminals I just saw in court- while I am running an errand at the store with our family. Nothing like having a habitual criminal eyeball you in the parking lot, trying to figure out where he knows you from. Or worse, say, "Hey, Mr. DA! I didn't know you lived here in town!".

That said, my wife has almost zero interest in going out shooting, and she has even less in getting her own CCW. She pretty much just ignores the pistol safe entirely.

But every once in a while she'll notice something or somebody that I'm noticing, she'll tense up, and she'll give me that look that says, "that guy creeps me out, are you carrying?" And when I do the tiny nod, I can see her relax a little.
    68blackbird likes this.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Chances are that most people don't even hear about a tenth of the crimes that are actually committed in their town. And if they knew about everything that went on, they would move somewhere safer or that wasn't as good at reporting crimes. Someone once told me, "If you get a police scanner and hear about everything that happens, you'll never leave your house."

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    I don't consider myself a paranoid dude, but with the way our country is heading, I can only foresee things getting more desperate for a lot of folks, and things could even more dangerous for us all...it's a shame that we have to be soooooo in tuned with our surroundings these days, I'm afraid we have lost our innocence for good, time to stay alert...and loaded.
    People who do not prepare call other people paranoid. If it isn't ruining your life or anyone else's it is not paranoia. Congrats on getting your wife on board. My wife was a similar situation. She does not like guns, want to carry or ever have to use one, but she seems to always want to make sure I am carrying. As a responsible father and husband I feel it is my duty to protect my family. Good for the both of you.
    68blackbird likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links