Watch who you tell about guns and CC - Page 2

Watch who you tell about guns and CC

This is a discussion on Watch who you tell about guns and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mums the word except to fellow CC's. Would you play poker and tell the other's you just drew 3 cards and got a full house?...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Watch who you tell about guns and CC

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Mums the word except to fellow CC's. Would you play poker and tell the other's you just drew 3 cards and got a full house?
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I view concealed carry as a philosophy...

Not just a physical act.

aceakarick likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    And I would encourage folks NOT to ask HR what they mean by this phrase or that in the employee handbook ("Does 'no weapons' mean just in the building or in the parking lot, too?"). HR's job, it seems, is primarily to reduce company liability - and you would be seen as a risk merely by asking the question. If they want to fire you, they will find a legitimate-sounding reason.

And that doesn't mean carry and don't tell: you WILL print at some point. The risk to your family of losing your job is *probably* greater than the risk of having bad guys burst in and shoot you. I leave things at home. I also recognize that my decision is based on MY situation, and readers' situations may vary greatly - if you have thought through this comparison of risk and come to a different conclusion I certainly don't mean to throw rocks at you. I just worry about the enthusiast who might find himself out of work in a bad economy.
    Good point. Thats why I didn't mention it to upper management when that guy brought it up the break room.

At my current job most of the guys including my supervisor own a gun or two, but aren't really gun guys. A couple of weeks ago my supervisor said he was wanting to get a .40 and his CWP, one of the other guys said he should get a 9mm and that he was looking to get a pistol as well. I just kept quite and enjoyed their conversation.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

GH
    I'll offer to answer questions about guns, concealed carry & CC classes if asked by someone I know. I refuse to be baited into a discussion that could turn into anti-gun. If someone I don't know too well asks if I'm carrying I just say "what do you think?". Those that know me whether they're pro- or anti- gun also know that I was in the Military for 27 years & worked armed security for 11. I'm now retired & don't have to worry about workplace politics & gossip.

I don't particularly want anyone to know that I'm carrying. I would like that to be a total, utter surprise if the SHTF. To let the world knows that I'm armed is to put a target on my back.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Nobody outside of my nuclear family and a couple of shooting buddies even knows I own a shotgun, much less that I have a permit to conceal a Glock.

If someone were to find out and say something like, "Why do you carry a gun? That's so stupid and dangerous!", I'd just say, "To each his own."
    Last edited by dbglock; December 4th, 2012 at 11:11 AM.

My family and close friends know, and that is it. I own a small IT/Networking company, I go into peoples homes or business everyday, some of which, I know are liberal/anti-2A. What they do not know will not hurt them. Either my CM40 in a IWB hybrid holster or my P-3AT in my pocket.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

I think most of the antis and gun-haters are just simply scared..... afraid of the gun it's self AND afraid of what THEY could/would do with a gun. If they feel/believe that way, then so do you and the rest of the world....... and you are to be dispised. You more than likely won't ever get them to see a diffrent point of view, much less change their minds.

Only my wife, kids, and a few (fellow gun-nut) friends know I carry. The rare times I openly carry are not while around others I have to worry about. My attitude is it's my business and nobody elses.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post

My best friend knows I CC and seems to like to boast about it to everyone he runs into. Example when out socializing if the topic of guns gets brought up. He starts running his mouth about what I carry and my collection of guns. Same if someone starts acting like a jerk around me. I feel like telling him to STFU about it!! And if I want someone to know, I'll tell them myself
    Cat's already "out of the bag"

So,
    #1 Tell him to shut up about it. <nicely but firmly>
    #2 If he doesn't, he's not your best friend.

Fin
    atctimmy likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    In SC, CWPs were a matter of public record until a few years ago. Anyone who wanted to, could obtain a list of CWPs through the foia. Thankfully it was changed but anyone who checked 3 or 4 years ago already knows, including employers.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Re: Watch who you tell about guns and CC

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    In SC, CWPs were a matter of public record until a few years ago. Anyone who wanted to, could obtain a list of CWPs through the foia. Thankfully it was changed but anyone who checked 3 or 4 years ago already knows, including employers.
    Never knew that.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

A co-worker is who convinced me to even go for my CCW and recommended the range I'm now a member of. I know that at least one other team member and my own boss are pro-gun, so I'm good.

Still, I think you are offering good words of wisdom for folks.

My best friend knows I CC and seems to like to boast about it to everyone he runs into. Example when out scocializing if the topic of guns gets brought up. He starts running his mouth about what I carry and my collection of guns. Same if someone starts acting like a jerk around me. I feel like telling him to STFU about it!! And if I want someone to know, I'll tell them myself

Wow, I kept reading the responses waiting for someone to tell you to have a serious talk with your friend but didn't see one yet, (I didn't read all the responses though). I'll say it then, It's time to have a serious talk with your friend. Tell him the point of concealed carry is a tactical advantage. If he tells some guy that is starting trouble that your carrying it could esculate the situation, or the jerk could call 911 and say that you threatened him with a gun. He might know where you work and he could report you to your employer and they might do a surprise spot check to see if your carrying.

All in all there is nothing to gain from your friend runninig his mouth about your EDC. Have a talk with him and make sure he's aware it's not acceptable.
    Curzyk and EastCoastMojo like this.

You might approach it by saying to him, "I'm glad you are such great advocate of the 2A, and I'm proud to be your friend, but..." and then what TedBeau said.

I guess I have a bit of a different take on it. Since I am an instructor for Texas CHL, NRA Pistol and Hunters Ed, I actually advertise that I do these things. I, and my wife have certificates on our office walls, along with other stuff. So if someone comes in for accounting work, they will likely also be aware that we do gun related stuff as well. We also often wear our D & D T shirts out in public. There have been folks who have asked about classes as a result, but only one moron who made a comment to his buddy in a grocery store when he saw my wife with her t-shirt on and said, "I bet she is packing".

As far as folks blabbing about it out in public, well you might want to have a chat with your buddy if he makes you feel uncomfortable about it. Of course, this is East Texas and we are pretty gun friendly here. If I lived someplace else, things might be different.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

As times have changed, I realize that it's in my best interest to keep quite about letting others that I know about guns and CC.

Not sure if you feel this way? But I do.

Around here in the Puget Sound area there are plenty of people that are anti gun. Especially towards handguns and concealed carry. Most of them I feel are under educated about the subject, but I'm tired of trying to educate them as their minds are already made up. And they get PO'd since I have a different view and they can't convience me that guns are only for "killing"

My best friend knows I CC and seems to like to boast about it to everyone he runs into. Example when out scocializing if the topic of guns gets brought up. He starts running his mouth about what I carry and my collection of guns. Same if someone starts acting like a jerk around me. I feel like telling him to STFU about it!! And if I want someone to know, I'll tell them myself

I also never mention to co-workers either now. I got a job with a company a few years ago (no longer work there) through a friend. He mentioned to one of the other guys that I had a gun collection. A few months later one of the guys gets PO'd and decides to be a jerk and starts questioning me in front of everyone in the break room about my collection. Wether I carry to work and let him know before I shoot up the place.

I could post a few more experiences, but I think you get the idea.

While I enjoy about talking about guns. I feel it's in my best interest to only discuss it on forums like this with like minded people. I won't bring up the subject to others and if it gets brough up. I'll be keeping tight liped about it. Even though I'd like to help others, I now feel that it's best to keep quiet about the subject.
    All I can say is: "10-4".
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links