Watch who you tell about guns and CC

This is a discussion on Watch who you tell about guns and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family all knows I carry--everywhere it is legal to do so--and are OK with it. My wife has her CHL and some other family ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Watch who you tell about guns and CC

My family all knows I carry--everywhere it is legal to do so--and are OK with it. My wife has her CHL and some other family members are interested in getting theirs too. Most of my friends also know I carry (I don't really have that many real friends) and are OK with it or carry themselves too. Other than that, I don't tell people generally that I carry. It's none of their business! Concealed means concealed.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the replies and advice. This has been on my mind for a while and I now know how I should deal with it. He's been a friend of mine for about 18yrs now, so I don't want to ruin that. But I do want him to keep to quit bringing up the fact that I have a gun collecion and conceal carry. I also realize that my cover is blown with the people that he has already told. Can't do anything to hide that now.

As mentioned he may be a little on the inmature side. He likes to brag about the few guns he has as well. I guess he likes to bring me into that conversation to make us look like some guys not to be messed with or something? I starting to think he has an ego issue.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

Also a funny thing happened at work yesterday. When we left work at the end of the day. My supervisor asked if I carry a piece in that backpack that I pull out of the trunk everyday after work.

I told him no, it just contains my gym stuff and my cell phone. Then he told me he would carry a pistol if he had one. As I mentioned in earlier. He said he wants to get a pistol and his CWP. He's probably onto me. But no use in confirming it.

VIP Member
    @ OP. You need to move to the mid West. We are armed to the teeth here and the anti's are few and far between. I regularly help coworkers find the best prices, sight in rifles and learn to shoot.
    pfries likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    @ OP. You need to move to the mid West. We are armed to the teeth here and the anti's are few and far between. I regularly help coworkers find the best prices, sight in rifles and learn to shoot.
    I'm starting to think that as well. Things up here in washington state have really changed over the last 20yrs and not for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by ksblazer View Post
    I'm starting to think that as well. Things up here in washington state have really changed over the last 20yrs and not for the better.
    Unfortunately I totally agree w/you.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Many people know I know about guns, but I know about a lot of things.
    Very few know I own any firearms.
    And only a couple of people know I carry.

Now in Arizona any person that can own a weapon can carry, both open and Conceled.

Loose lips sink ships.... Works today too.

Lateck,
    Proud Ruger & SIG owner, in the Free State of Arizona

If your best friend is truly your best friend, tell him the subject of your guns is not a matter for public knowledge and to keep it to himself. If he's a true friend, he will understand. If he doesn't, then he wasn't much of a friend to begin with.
    CAS_Shooter, atctimmy and jlprtr like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If your best friend is truly your best friend, tell him the subject of your guns is not a matter for public knowledge and to keep it to himself. If he's a true friend, he will understand. If he doesn't, then he wasn't much of a friend to begin with.
    Good advice. It is that simple.

Can not carry at work due to Insurance however, almost everyone in company has a CCW (CEO included) and Arizona has a parking lot law!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

I happen to live (if you call this living) in NY. Just retired and going somewhere warmer. No one knows or would know I'm carrying concealed. Except for this week. Went to Dr's apointment he felt my ankles unexpectedly. He didn't say anything about touching my ankle holster and neither did I. I just did a post on concealed carry about my experience and asking for what you would have done.

VIP Member
    No one knows I CC other than close family.

I don't care to discuss publically about my guns at home......no info about how many, do I have a safe, their value, etc. Doing so might make me a target one day to get robbed.

In public, when given the chance, I will discuss issues about 2A, safety, training, home and self protection. I do it in a casual, easy-going style, hopefully coming across in a encouraging and educational manner.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

OP, you need to put a stop to his comments immediately. He'll understand once you explain it to him in no uncertain terms that it's your business, not anyone elses. The friendship should remain.

I'm very guarded about carrying and my CHL. Family and other shooter friends know, and that's about it. I've been heavily involved in youth sports, etc., and thats a conversation with some parents I would rather avoid. My company has a no firearms policy in our employee handbook that prohibits firearms in the building and the parking lot (not posted officially here in Texas with a 30.06 sign, but as a matter of employment. Texas passed the parking lot law in the last legislative session that says a company can not forbid permit holders from storing their firearms in their vehicle, so at least I'm armed to and from work. I personally know of others that just ignore the company's guidelines for the building, but I do not.

Cheers
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

I agree with most here. Concealed means concealed. I tell no one. Maybe two exceptions. My wife and my best friend who lives in Georgia. When I visit him, I am carrying. He is a retired Army officer, and very pro gun with his own CC permit. I have been around others who CC and they may tell me so. I say nothing about the fact that i am also carrying. That's just the way it is. As to the OP's friend, I can't imagine someone being that good of a friend who you can't say hey, keep quiet about this and have the guy ignore your wishes. As was said, probably time to re-evaluate you understanding of what a friend is. Really good acquaintance? Maybe. True friend? Not so much.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Very true I live in small town Iowa and it seems like 50% of the people i work with carry. Only meet a handful that dont like guns but seems like they don't have a problem with others owning guns and carrying. Including my mother she hates guns but has never stopped my brother and i from having guns. Still dont tell people i carry i like the (tactical) advantage. Same reason i dont OC.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links