Watch who you tell about guns and CC

This is a discussion on Watch who you tell about guns and CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As times have changed, I realize that it's in my best interest to keep quite about letting others that I know about guns and CC. ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Watch who you tell about guns and CC

As times have changed, I realize that it's in my best interest to keep quite about letting others that I know about guns and CC.

Not sure if you feel this way? But I do.

Around here in the Puget Sound area there are plenty of people that are anti gun. Especially towards handguns and concealed carry. Most of them I feel are under educated about the subject, but I'm tired of trying to educate them as their minds are already made up. And they get PO'd since I have a different view and they can't convience me that guns are only for "killing"

My best friend knows I CC and seems to like to boast about it to everyone he runs into. Example when out scocializing if the topic of guns gets brought up. He starts running his mouth about what I carry and my collection of guns. Same if someone starts acting like a jerk around me. I feel like telling him to STFU about it!! And if I want someone to know, I'll tell them myself

I also never mention to co-workers either now. I got a job with a company a few years ago (no longer work there) through a friend. He mentioned to one of the other guys that I had a gun collection. A few months later one of the guys gets PO'd and decides to be a jerk and starts questioning me in front of everyone in the break room about my collection. Wether I carry to work and let him know before I shoot up the place.

I could post a few more experiences, but I think you get the idea.

While I enjoy about talking about guns. I feel it's in my best interest to only discuss it on forums like this with like minded people. I won't bring up the subject to others and if it gets brough up. I'll be keeping tight liped about it. Even though I'd like to help others, I now feel that it's best to keep quiet about the subject.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

When it comes to friends and family, the majority are pro2A and carry themselves. However, there's those who aren't. We just simply don't talk about guns and it's pretty easy. The only people that know I CC are my immediate family and friends who also carry and they respect the fact that it's nobody's business for them to blab about and I do the same for them. Your friend sounds pretty immature and also inconsiderate to just blurt out personal details about you, like the fact that you carry.

Far as co-workers, I don't really get personal with them, just friendly. Sadly, the work place is usually more of a rumor mill than your high school was.
    iblearning likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Yup. Carry Always ... Never Tell. For a variety of reasons, many people will find potential blowback in many areas of their lives. For some this simply won't be worth the aggravation, or risk. The stigma associated with firearms can be debilitating for close-minded, vindictive people, but their being close-minded and/or vindictive can get you hurt in some cases. YMMV, as always.

For myself, I'm with you. Not everyone needs to know. Shooting buddies, fine. Family members, if it matters to me to have them know, or if they're shooting buddies as well. Beyond that, nobody needs to know; in such cases, it might well only hurt, having them know.
    JDE101, GH and Ksthumper like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Re: Watch who you tell about guns and CC

In general, I agree. And, while my friends, and some co-workers, know I carry, they know I don't carry at work, and my friends know better than to tell others.

I am, however, more than willing to have a reasonable conversation with an anti. If it gets out of hand, discussion gets tabled.
    goldshellback likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I understand your point. And understand why many may feel they would do the same.
    However there are those of us that for what ever reason were born with a different mind set.
    I am the other side of the coin I don't care who knows I care even less about what they think.
    If they were to play games like that with me they would be the one being fired EEO/workplace policy's and the like apply to them also, a company failing to stop the harassment would find them self in a big law suit. Time has come to give them back the same game they played for years.
    pfries, atctimmy, mg27 and 1 others like this.

I'm lucky to live in a state where guns are common place and I can speak with coworkers relatively freely. You have to pick and choose when and with whom you can talk about it. I never understood the need for people to blab about something like that. I once had to ask my wife to be more discreet and she's been great about it ever since.

With regards to blabbing friends, the next time your buddy runs his mouth, and you've warned him not to, just reply with "not everyone is likely to be interested in firearms, but they'd love to hear about that time when you..." and select the embarrassing story of your choosing.
    Arborigine and aus71383 like this.

My parents know I have guns and carry, my sister does not and never will, if I can help it. I've chosen to keep peace in the family than constantly argue to no end with her. A very small circle of friends know I have guns and enjoy shooting but they do not know I carry. I work on a college campus that allows CC but many on campus are not 2A friendly. Life is easier and simpler if I just keep my mouth shut.

Here in rural West Texas we are pretty open about our guns with our friends. I know for a fact that a significant number of my friends have their CHLs. Pretty much everyone understands the need for discreetness so there's not a whole lot of blabbing about other people's carry preferences.

IMHO, the idea of "don't ask, don't tell" is more applicable to CCW than it EVER was to sexual orientation in the U.S. Military.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

My family and best friend know that I'm always carrying around them, even though a couple of family members aren't quite on the same page, they're all willing to go to the range. Quite a few of my co-workers know because they themselves have CHLs (Hey, it's EMS). The girl I'm dating knows. That's about it.

None of them would go blurting it out for no reason.

I have learned that you need to be careful even around family. My wife's brother had expressed an interest in guns and possibly even carrying, so my wife and I talked to her brother and his wife about all of us possibly taking a CCW class together. Well, that never happened. Come to find out that his wife is very anti gun and also a bit crazy. She kept trying to convince my wife that I only wanted guns around so I could kill her (my wife) whenever I wanted. The sister in law actually believes that. Thankfully my wife knows that the sis in law is a bit off in the head, and she doesn't believe it for a second. The sad thing is that this whole situation has put a huge strain on our relationship with them and we rarely see or talk to them any more.

It took me some time to learn about not talking about it. At first I was "proud" in a way, not that I wanted to blab but I went through the "I don't care who knows, I shouldn't have to hide it" phase.

My husband would always harp about not telling people, keeping quiet at work. It finally sunk in and I am glad I listened to him. At work sometimes I talk about going to the range since its my favorite hobby and people seem interested and ask questions, but I have learned people really do have varying views on guns and sometimes its a hot topic so I try to stay quiet.

Also I see all of these posts about "so and so doesn't want me to carry at their house" or "how do I deal with the wife's anti gun family when I carry" and other similar threads and now I find myself thinking "carry always never tell". If you don't tell anyone that you carry then it doesn't even come up at the family functions.

The other day at work a new girl was talking and the topic went to guns and she was talking about how her and her fiance shoot all the time and how she loves it, I was like "awesome me too". The she said how they both have their concealed carry license and carry all the time and I was like "that's cool!". I didn't out myself and was proud that I didn't.

I struggle with feeling like an activist and wanted to support and promote 2A but also being sad that the culture doesn't allow me to just have my gun on my hip in the open at all times and have it be non issue

I don't really advertise it but I'm in a place where guns are part of the culture. Most kids here are hunting with their dads by the time they're 8 or 9, and taking their hunter's safety course at an early age. My boss were I work just bought a nice new Sig and he & I have gone to the range together! The bulk of my coworkers either have guns or want to buy something "when they have the money." I'm pretty lucky in that regard. Even so I don't talk about CCW very much. That info is best kept on the QT.

The best reason NOT to advertise that you are concealed carrying is that the biggest anti-gun friend you have, the one who hates guns and lives in lala land of lollipops and warm fuzzies will out you at the worst possible time, as in:

You walk together or as a group into a convenience store. There is a robbery in progress with an unknown number of armed criminals. That anti-gun friend will undoubtedly be the one that suddenly looks at you and shouts, "Do something! You have a gun!!!"

Yeah.... good luck on stealth and getting the drop on someone now. They will out you to the bad guys and now their already drawn weapons will be trained on you!
    Bubbiesdad likes this.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    And I would encourage folks NOT to ask HR what they mean by this phrase or that in the employee handbook ("Does 'no weapons' mean just in the building or in the parking lot, too?"). HR's job, it seems, is primarily to reduce company liability - and you would be seen as a risk merely by asking the question. If they want to fire you, they will find a legitimate-sounding reason.

And that doesn't mean carry and don't tell: you WILL print at some point. The risk to your family of losing your job is *probably* greater than the risk of having bad guys burst in and shoot you. I leave things at home. I also recognize that my decision is based on MY situation, and readers' situations may vary greatly - if you have thought through this comparison of risk and come to a different conclusion I certainly don't mean to throw rocks at you. I just worry about the enthusiast who might find himself out of work in a bad economy.
    EastCoastMojo and atctimmy like this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links