Advice needed from experienced cc's

This is a discussion on Advice needed from experienced cc's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having trouble trying to cc in warm weather without broadcasting that I am doing so. What is your primary EDC weapon in warm/hot weather. How ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Advice needed from experienced cc's

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

Having trouble trying to cc in warm weather without broadcasting that I am doing so.

What is your primary EDC weapon in warm/hot weather.
    How do you conceal it.

Almost at the point of putting the 9mm in hibernation and using 380 only due to concealment issues.

Like today, in the high 70's jacket is out of the question...shorts and shirt weather.

Need some good advise.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

My 'primary' carry gun is a Ruger SR9c. I carry it in warm or cold weather. The only thing that determines whether I carry it or just my LCP is my environment. Both conceal very well for me. If I'm just going out to get gas or something, I'll sometimes carry my full size M&P OWB with a forward cant, but under a jacket of course.

If I am in a less than permissive environment such as church, a friend's house, or working on someone's property I'll usually only carry my LCP in my pocket. The reason is if my shirt happened to raise or get caught and show my firearm, there might be an issue.

I am 5' 7" 170lbs and I carry my SR9c IWB in a Kholster holster with a forward cant at about 4 o'clock. It conceals very well with very little to no printing in just a t-shirt. I use the flat base-plate on my 10rd magazine.
    My LCP rides in a cheap nylon pocket holster and as you imagine, conceals very well in my pocket. I also prefer the flat base-plate on my carry magazine.

When carrying IWB, I try to limit the amount of bending over or reaching I do and I am conscious of how my clothing such as my T-shirt is riding. I try not to worry about it too much. 99.5%+people don't look for guns. As long as you don't look paranoid and you aren't messing with your belt line, you're probably alright. Another thing is too often overlooked. You need a decent carry belt. It should be thick and at least 1.5" wide. This will help keep the gun near your body much better than a $10 Wal-mart belt. I bought mine at a local fair from a leather-craftsman.

First off, what are your carry guns and how are you trying to carry them?

At some point in your cc, you will grow tired of carrying a big gun, and come to the realization a j frame in the pocket will work.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

mkh
    I carry a Sig P229 or one of my other Sigs year round. In the summer I wear a tucked in polo or t-shirt and always wear a loose unbuttoned cover shirt. In the winter I replace the cover shirt with a jacket if it gets too cold.

Glock 19 IWB in Arizona and Texas with t-shirt and shorts

I find that a Remora and a small to mid-size Glock hides very well under a tee shirt. Alabama is warm 10 months out of the year. A 26 or 19 is with me most of the time.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

I carry an XDsc IWB of shorts with either an untucked tshirt, a loose tank or a loose sleeveless blouse. Even in a knee length sundress (which you probably dont need to worry about, but putting it out there for any ladies reading) I throw on shorts underneath and still carry IWB.

Lead Moderator
    Dress around your carry gun. Larger gun loose, larger clothes or a cover shirt. Wear patterned shirts to help conceal any slight printing. Bend at the legs rather than the waist when moving, crouching.
    msgt/ret, Luckey1115 and AOK like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Hello fellow North Carolinian… I was going to say “fellow Tarheel” but then we get into the whole, Duke, UNC, NC State, Wake Forest debate and that never ends well. ;-)

A couple of things to start with:

1) Since NC is an open carry state, if you print a little bit, it’s not the end of the world, assuming you aren’t carrying anywhere you shouldn’t be.

2) As you already know, one person’s solutions aren’t necessarily another person’s and comfort standing, sitting, driving, etc will be your challenge and how much you’re willing to deal with.

I’m going through the same thing as a relatively new CC’er and am going through holsters day by day for my Glock27. I actually spent a couple of hours “playing” with everything I have with nothing but a t-shirt as cover.

I had been adverse to IWB because it simply looked uncomfortable, but my new hybrid Theis has a lot of potential once I find my personal sweet spot for location and the leather breaks in.

OWB I’ve been doing extensive research for those that ride “high and tight/close”.

This one should be here any day after a 10 week wait. FIST, INC.

I picked this simple Don Hume up at a gun show a couple weeks ago while waiting for my FIST holster to arrive and was pleasantly surprised at how well it works. http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...products_id=53

And I have my eye on this one but holding off for now. H721 O.T. [H721 O.T.] - $55.00 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.

Very solid and stiff leather on the one I have at a very good price. Go to their main page to see all their offerings.

If you ever find yourself in the Raleigh area, shoot me a PM and we can meet for lunch and discuss holsters.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

GH
    I carry a Sigma 40VE, almost exactly the same size as a Glock 23 in all seasons with no problems concealing. I use OWB & wear untucked T shirts in the summer. My gun is usually at the 3:30 position just in front of the prominent hip bone. Make sure the T shirt is long enough & not skin tight. My state allows open carry so printing is no problem but I very rarely don't print enough for anyone to notice. When I'm talking to someone I just let my arms hang naturally at my sides & that alone covers everything. If I have to gesture or point I do so with my left arm.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Currently I have a Ruger LC9 and LCP..7 holsters (I never was good at math) ...I have Mitch Rosen OWB and "sticky" IWB and a piece of crap nylon OWB for the LC9...I have a clip on IWB which I hate and a Sticky IWB and a Fobus Standard Holster RH Paddle OWB for the LCP....the LCP is not a problem ... The hot weather concealment of the LC9 seems to be...
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Oh..I forgot....LCP cell phone case holster.... OWB

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    Glock 19 IWB in Arizona and Texas with t-shirt and shorts
    In south Ga. I carry a G23 the exact same way most of the time.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Same old IWB even in t-shirt weather. People are too oblivious to notice printing and I don't really care if they do. If I MUST remain undetected, I switch from XDSC to p3at.

Edited to correct stupid smartphone typo.
    Last edited by Cupcake; December 4th, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links