Autozone FIRES employee for stopping serial armed robber

This is a discussion on Autozone FIRES employee for stopping serial armed robber within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; after he runs to his car to grab his firearm to confront bad guy. he saved the company money and possibly the lives of their ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pittypat21

Thread: Autozone FIRES employee for stopping serial armed robber

after he runs to his car to grab his firearm to confront bad guy. he saved the company money and possibly the lives of their employees and customers! disgusting.

AutoZone employee fired after taking action against

Facebook group just started to boycott Autozone (just as reference. i'm not a huge boycott guy): http://www.facebook.com/BoycottAutoz...OfDevinMcclean

Tweet to autozone and ask if Bob Costas is the CEO: www.twitter.com/autozone

VIP Member
    Already running since 11/30...

Another Employee's Reward for Stopping a Crime
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

GH
    Even though this is a rerun of another post I still have AutoZone crossed off my list for buying car parts. I told my buddy who does car work & spends upwards of $500 a week on parts & he also will stop using them.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I will now go to PeP boys, O'Rielly, or an independent dealer. NO MORE AUTOZONE.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    Sorry folks, I see it different. While I can understand an appreciate his motive, I cannot say I agree with his actions.

Should read:
    "Autozone fires employee for breaking company policy and using bad judgement."

He escaped danger, got to a safe place, and should have called 911 while remaining there, or moving to safety. Grabbing your gun and running BACK into danger is just plain a bad idea if it's not your family.

Disclosure:
    My opinion is based on my training and my knowledge of the law in the state of Minnesota.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Sorry folks, I see it different. While I can understand an appreciate his motive, I cannot say I agree with his actions.

Should read:
    Close. But I do not think he should be fired. You pay managers to make decisions. Zero tolerance policies are for lazy minds and CEO's that do not trust the judgment of their managers. Punish yes, fire, no. You have to remember he was in compliance with AZ's policy about not having weapons during work. He went to his vehicle to get it. That is where he went against policy.

As far as decision making I have already said my peace in another thread.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post

Should read:

He escaped danger, got to a safe place, and should have called 911 while remaining there, or moving to safety. Grabbing your gun and running BACK into danger is just plain a bad idea if it's not your family.

Disclosure:
    My opinion is based on my training and my knowledge of the law in the state of Minnesota.
    I agree, however he wasn't fired for that. He was fired because Autozone mindlessly bans every fireweapon from its store no matter what.

You could call it a bad idea if it's not your family, or you could call it selfless and concerned for the safety of others, and not just running for your own life.
    Tmarkert likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I always liked NAPA better anyway. No big loss.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised if their competitors would have done the same thing in the situation. I know for a fact O'Reilly's has a no weapons policy for employees on their property. {On their property, PERIOD. So if you have it in the glovebox and you park in their lot, you are breaking policy.}.

For those Virgina/East Coast guys looking for a new parts store: Advance Auto was started in, and is still based in Virginia.

FWIW-I don't think he should have gone back in. Once he exited the building, the threat was gone (for him personally.). I'm not going back into a building with an armed criminal to "save" co-workers, I would only put myself knowingly into that situation if my immediate/nuclear family was in danger. Thats just me. I'm not a law enforcement officer, and I don't pretend to be one or act like one.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    I'd rather find another minimum wage job than have someone find my body at work after a robbery. When I was younger, I recall a fast food joint being held up and robbed. The robber(s) marched all of the employees into the deep freezer, and lined them up, and shot and killed every one of them, saving one who survived the gunshots due to the drop in temperature from the freezer. This happened before opening if I recall, so nobody found the people back in the freezer till about 3 hours later when people called to see why the place was still locked up and closed.

I'd rather carry and know I can defend myself. I understand the consequences of doing so, and I accept them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    {On their property, PERIOD. So if you have it in the glovebox and you park in their lot, you are breaking policy.}.
    In WI, businesses can only prohibit firearms inside the store. Their parking lots DON'T COUNT---I like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if their competitors would have done the same thing in the situation. I know for a fact O'Reilly's has a no weapons policy for employees on their property. {On their property, PERIOD. So if you have it in the glovebox and you park in their lot, you are breaking policy.}.

For those Virgina/East Coast guys looking for a new parts store: Advance Auto was started in, and is still based in Virginia.

FWIW-I don't think he should have gone back in. Once he exited the building, the threat was gone (for him personally.). I'm not going back into a building with an armed criminal to "save" co-workers, I would only put myself knowingly into that situation if my immediate/nuclear family was in danger. Thats just me. I'm not a law enforcement officer, and I don't pretend to be one or act like one.
    Advance auto has the same exact policy. If you would stop a robbery, with a weapon, or even with no weapon you will be fired.

Senior Moderator
    Already running
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Sponsored Links